Corona virus

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Going by today's results and the Government's view on things, that does not really surprise me.
Looks like 'Lock it in".
There goes my trips :eek:.

Colly18

I just heard that apparently the WA government expects our hard border to be in place until at least April to June next year.... Bloody hell. That's getting beyond a joke...
Looks like it could be the same in Qld if Labor get re-elected at the end of the month(?) I must admit, (although I think the Qld government has done a good job in keeping Qld pretty free of Covid-19, to date), I disagree with the Qld Premier's stance about ongoing closure of the border with NSW unless the whole state of NSW remains free of Covid-19 community transmission for 28 days. A strategy of declaring hot spots when they have an outbreak/unexplained cases and banning people from those hotspots, rather than a blanket ban on all of NSW, makes much more sense to me. I think it's all about politics and getting re-elected, and it could backfire on Annastacia Palaszczuk if enough voters are as annoyed as I am on this issue(?)

CTL

Looks like it could be the same in Qld if Labor get re-elected at the end of the month(?) I must admit, (although I think the Qld government has done a good job in keeping Qld pretty free of Covid-19, to date), I disagree with the Qld Premier's stance about ongoing closure of the border with NSW unless the whole state of NSW remains free of Covid-19 community transmission for 28 days. A strategy of declaring hot spots when they have an outbreak/unexplained cases and banning people from those hotspots, rather than a blanket ban on all of NSW, makes much more sense to me. I think it's all about politics and getting re-elected, and it could backfire on Annastacia Palaszczuk if enough voters are as annoyed as I am on this issue(?)
Nah, nothing to do with politics or elections :) We just don’t like cockroaches :D

peterfermtech

What I've noticed about this virus is it has a habit of biting governments on the bum and I think that whilst Anna is gloating about her run of good luck she needs to keep an eye out for that bull mastif that is waiting to take a chunk out of her ample rear.

Chatty

I just heard that apparently the WA government expects our hard border to be in place until at least April to June next year.... Bloody hell. That's getting beyond a joke...
Actually Warby, April is the early date - the budget papers forecast a lifting of the border restrictions no earlier than the "June quarter" - that could actually mean no earlier than 30 June (or, admittedly, 1 April).

Choook

Exactly! Declared hotspots! If your home address is in a hotspot don't bother trying to cross the border. And don't go to Darwin for a 14 day holiday to try to backdoor the system either. If your home address is in a hotspot don't bother. Seems quite simple to me, not the whole state. This could also (in the simplest form) include parts of Victoria as well, I'm sure there are postcodes in the NW and NE that have not seen any transmissions for some time.

As the NSW Premier said "there is every possiblity that NSW would not meet the 28 day requirement, ever.", or words to that effect. This is quite conceivable. Image being at 22 or 24 days without any transmission and one pops up out of the blue. Guaranteed Mrs Hitler and Mrs Goering running Qld would not hesitate in resetting the clock. Antiaustralia Palaceofshame reckons the border closures will be her saving grace to winning this election. I think she is wrong, however, she may still form goverment with greens backing, then Qld will truly be knackered.

Choook

How will QLD survive without tourist revenue? I thought they would be keen to get it going again

As far as I can tell they want the mega tourist dollar. The ones that stay at 5 star resorts go to shows and eat at fancy resteraunts. They don't seem to be interested in the Mum and Dad tourist dollar. The ones that have a stay in a caravan park have a couple of days at Movie World and Wet n Wild along with fish n chips on the beach. And these are the ones that probably contribute more to the tourist economy than other demographics.

Kippie

As far as I can tell they want the mega tourist dollar. The ones that stay at 5 star resorts go to shows and eat at fancy resteraunts. They don't seem to be interested in the Mum and Dad tourist dollar. The ones that have a stay in a caravan park have a couple of days at Movie World and Wet n Wild along with fish n chips on the beach. And these are the ones that probably contribute more to the tourist economy than other demographics.

Tourism represent about 8% of the QLD GDP and the main contributors are the Chinese, not Australians.

Choook

I was referring to the domestic demographics as it appears it will be some time before we get any significant overseas influx. But then again if the borders stay shut there will be no tourist industry to come to.

peterfermtech

Maybe qld could get into the market of selling organic fertiliser because there sure is enough coming from the government.

Edit:- there is no shortage of it down here in Vic. but ours is a bit sour where as Qld seems to have a sweet note to it.

Last edited:

CTL

Gee, you Victorians have some shite on your livers about Queensland :) Is it jealousy or what?
Victorians contribute a small percentage to the Qld tourist industry, mostly grey nomads spending stuff all and camping for free.
Anyway, I am off on a 4 week touring trip, beach and bush. Thanks Anna for keeping the Sicktorians out and allowing me to live a relatively normal life.

discomatt

@CTL your time will come, I wouldn't get to smug yet but by all means enjoy your trip while you can because this virus is with the human race for as long as we last as a species. It will be more about how governments deal with it than anything else and sadly Australian governments are morons and short sighted. I think Tassie and WA will be the only states to really survive the carnage if this continues the way it is.

Warby

@CTL your time will come, I wouldn't get to smug yet but by all means enjoy your trip while you can because this virus is with the human race for as long as we last as a species. It will be more about how governments deal with it than anything else and sadly Australian governments are morons and short sighted. I think Tassie and WA will be the only states to really survive the carnage if this continues the way it is.

While we have things pretty good here in WA at the moment, we've put ourselves in a bubble... There is ZERO social distancing in Perth now. All it would take is one infected person to get out in to the community and we'd have a pretty significant second wave. Meanwhile, we are using hotels in the middle of the CBD for quarantine *slaps forehead*

Last edited by a moderator:

Rusty Panels

For any state to be sprouting off about how they have managed to keep safe by being tough is rubbish. It's all been a case of either good or bad luck.
New Zealand didn't let anyone in for a couple of months and they still have covid cases occurring. They are still clueless as to how they resurfaced.
If the covid has shown us anything it's how our politicians can act like total morons and abuse the power they have been entrusted with. This is blatantly obvious with the Premiers of Queensland and Victoria who are continuing to carry on more like Dictators than Premiers.

discomatt

Luck has absolutely nothing to do with Victoria and the situation we are in, its incompetence, lack of foresight and planning along with pig headed stubbornness that put us in the mess we find ourselves.
The only reason WA will come out on top is due to what they have buried and dig out of the ground which has been the only thing stopping the whole of Australia going bankrupt for a very long time.

synchro

The only reason WA will come out on top is due to what they have buried and dig out of the ground which has been the only thing stopping the whole of Australia going bankrupt for a very long time.

Please explain - WA mining only contributes 18% of the Aust GDP - it is NSW, even in the pandemic that is supporting Australia. Only NSW has hit the balance between managing COVID and remaining open. A recent review I saw on State preparedness to fight Covid found that only NSW and more lately Vic have the systems to deal with Covid and to survive economically and this was learnt on the lives lost early on (for Vic later on) - the other states just shut borders and not much else and have not invested in systems to deal with the virus - if border closures fail in places like Qld and WA the virus will go through the population like a dose of salts. With the exception of the Vic border, NSW has been open and has the systems to deal with the outbreak and keep it low - noting irrespective of what that Stoopid Qld premier thinks - the virus cannot be reduced to zero - but then Qld just sends their cases south to NSW like they did the other day with crew on the ship that sailed from Brisbane to Neewcastle with Covid onboard, Makes Qld stats look good.