Corona virus

Colly18

It's good news that the Blackwater case appears to have not been a Covid-19 death. Bit of a mess with all the extra testing that went on, but better to be safe than sorry!?

discomatt

It's good news that the Blackwater case appears to have not been a Covid-19 death. Bit of a mess with all the extra testing that went on, but better to be safe than sorry!?
Its like half the deaths from Corona virus, yep they had the virus so it must have killed them, forget the fact they would have possibly died within a week anyway from pre existing health issues.
I wonder how many have been reported to have it but then didn't? I guarantee hardly any of the deaths overseas had a full autopsy to confirm the cause of death.

Paddler Ed

My folks are in the UK, and live on the edge of a decent walking area.

Normally it's a quiet area, and only a few walkers a day pass through, even in the busy times.

At the moment they don't want to leave the house because there are so many out of the area people coming to enjoy the lifting of lockdown.

They've only left the house about a dozen times since they were here visiting us in Mid March...

So, whilst the lockdown has been lifted think about your actions.
  • Are you in an Increased risk category (Age, overweight, pre-existing medical condition)? If yes, stay at home.
  • Does your area have a number of C-19 cases? If yes, stay at home.
  • Are you from high population density area? If yes, stay at home.
  • Is your visit going to increase the risk of C-19 occurring in an area? If yes, stay at home.

Grippy

Went to the pub after work for a couple of pints, everything is back to normal
Bartender said parmies are flying out the door too.

boobook

So now NSW is locking down the border to Vic.

I don't blame them. The government response has been tough on the public and a disgrace where they have to be accountable.

It's starting to feel very lonely down here, and the September holidays are starting to look like more of the same at home.

CTL

Where’s Scotty from Marketing spruiking about opening all borders now? Hiding under a rock?

Albynsw

Where’s Scotty from Marketing spruiking about opening all borders now? Hiding under a rock?
He was in on the discussion between NSW and Vic Premiers deciding how to deal with the issue so he is about.

Aza013

The vic premier started putting signs up on the border closing them over 24hours ago, but’s funny how all is put on NSW.
At the end of the day NSW and VIC both made the call to close border.
let’s just hope this all slows down fast and we can get back to as close to normal as we can.

dno67

Rumors are police were checking number plates in caravan parks on the murry, asking anyone from a locked down postcode to return home. No idea, how credible the rumors are.

mikehzz

Did we just let a plane from Melbourne land without getting screened?? NSW will probably be locked down again in a few weeks.

Even better news, preliminary results from Spain indicate that only 4% of people who've had the virus maintain the antibodies in their system. This technically means that a vaccine will be useless for most people.

Corndoggy

I had heard reports that some had contacted it 2 or 3 times. They say the virus is mutating. Reported that a new more infectious version is around but is not any more dangerous than the others. Then that is what I've heard.

peterfermtech

Even better news, preliminary results from Spain indicate that only 4% of people who've had the virus maintain the antibodies in their system. This technically means that a vaccine will be useless for most people.
4% of the sampled population have antibodies meaning herd immunity is not practical
However,
"Seroprevalence was close to 90% after 14 days since a positive PCR test, which is consistent with a recent study concluding that SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibodies are detected in more than 90% of infected people 2 weeks after symptom onset,
and the recently reported 99% of antibody response among confirmed COVID-19 cases."

darb

I had heard reports that some had contacted it 2 or 3 times. They say the virus is mutating. Reported that a new more infectious version is around but is not any more dangerous than the others. Then that is what I've heard.

Theres a lottttt of dodgy information. Coronviruses mutate every time they transmit, that is normal and not a scary unknown, that's generally viruses 101.
Noone's getting it multiple times, what they are getting is either resurgence (like when you think youre over a flu, go get on the piss iwht the boys and end up crook again) ... or false negatives / viral load not active in the areas you're being swabbed.
There's also errors in testing that can cause false positives, false negatives and other issues.
There are real questions around how long immunity may last, and it will be as varied as any other virus out there.
Hell I got ross river virus 10 years ago and i swear it still kicks my ass.
Herpes is for life (I do not have this , just for clarity).

There's also other scaremongering out there like saying that "only 5% of people tested in spain showed antibodies" ... of course, not evne 5% of the population has even been infected (the antibody tests were done randomly, not specifically to known infected people".

There's early information out there from New york for example that as much as 20% of the population in sample testing show antibodies, meaning there were literally millions of asymptomatic people. Whilst that sounds bad in that there were more infections (and that is bad), its also good in that the overall death rate is much much lower than feared.

Covid-19 is of course the greatest economic and health threat we've known for a fair while, I'm not discrediting that at all ... just pointing out there's a lot of wishy washy informatin that "sounds scary" when it just plain isn't (in and of itself).

The biggest problem with metrics is we just don't know until years later, when we can actually get better data on facts. As it stands we don't know how many people are actually asymptomatic. What we get are slivers of insight based on testing sprees, and how many present to hospitals in dire straights. Even then, most of the younger parts of population may never present to a hospital at all .. .so all depends what demographics the current infection waves are sweeping through , etc etc

Warby

There's early information out there from New york for example that as much as 20% of the population in sample testing show antibodies, meaning there were literally millions of asymptomatic people. Whilst that sounds bad in that there were more infections (and that is bad), its also good in that the overall death rate is much much lower than feared.
This is interesting.. I hadn't heard this (I haven't been following along closely for a while now. Got sick of hearing about it TBH). If that is the case though then it does start leaning towards an argument for maintaining business as usual and just accepting COVID-19 as part of life now, similar to how we think of the common cold or flu.

darb

This is interesting.. I hadn't heard this (I haven't been following along closely for a while now. Got sick of hearing about it TBH). If that is the case though then it does start leaning towards an argument for maintaining business as usual and just accepting COVID-19 as part of life now, similar to how we think of the common cold or flu.
Yeah ... though its all just some shit i read on a forum and loosely understood, that someone probably posted from some other forum they read some shit on, from some medical information that is often clinical & difficult to correctly context :) ... and then there's the differences in reporting in different countries. Of course that's all before the politicians get involved and spread whatever slant they want, backed by a population who in large want single sentence headlines, lap up whatever their biases feed them, and don't really read much deeper into anything these days.

The way the world is going, this thing will end up endemic ... it's just the small problem of a few million dead in the a) unhealthy/elderly, b) the unlucky ones who have an immune system meltdown reaction {the main cause of death in the healthy}). It's a shit of a thing no matter which way its played and lands.

One thing I do know is I'm damn glad to live in Australia (WA in particular) where we have relatively low population density.

I, like you, am also sick of it ... we're just head down, bum up, working and camping - and thanking non-existent gods that it hasn't really ripped us here in WA (yet).

darb

Scarily, I've always said the world is way way too overpopulated (the biggest elephant in every room) .. and that mother nature would come along with some super virus and knock us out by half or more. Kind of didn't want her to try that while me and mine are around though!