Corona virus

Kippie

I can't recall any person or media outlet claiming that Antivaxxers would drop dead in the streets. Perhaps you can enlighten us with some proof behind your statements. I can't find anything on the internet that made claims about anything like that.

The claims and predictions that I am aware of at the time, and have since proven to be true, are that non-vaccinated people would have a higher incidence of getting covid, serious illness and death. That has turned out to be true, and it continues to be the case. About 8 times as likely in the cases of death and hospitalisation.

And what is also true if no one got vaccinated, the problem and mutant strains, including more serious ones, would be a lot more prevalent and we would have a much larger problem on our hands. The main reason anti-vaxxers are not dying as much as they otherwise would have is they can thank the 90% plus of the population that save them with herd immunity by getting vaccinated.

Don't bite, the muffin is just trolling. He has never produced any evidence for any of his statements except for conspiracy theories. Don't waste your time.

Colly18

Stop talking sense Tony, the antivaxxers don’t like it. ;)
Well, IMO the antivaxxers probably 'do like it'. They don't work with proof, as (IMO) they believe they are right/all knowing and the rest of the population are the idiots drawn in by the government and those other folk controlling the world. Sad stuff!

Last edited:

boobook

Well, IMO the antivaxxers probably 'do like it'. They don't work with proof, as (IMO) they believe they are right/all knowing and the rest of the population are the idiots drawn in by the government and those other folk controlling the world. Sad stuff!
It's very amusing how a couple of people here either make up stuff or are well let's say simple, and repeat what is fed to them, and when challenged on BS just run away. Time after time...

They seem to think no one notices their repetitive behaviour. LOL.

Albynsw

Yep and more government responses that have zero medical value and no benefit, testing the Chinese travellers, what a farce, even the health experts say it will do more harm than good
Nob jockey response so the scared are made to believe they are being kept safe, a good way for a politician to stay popular
If they want to carry on like that the testing should be done from the US where they actually have some serious concerns about their e latest variant
At the end of the day yet another response without medical backing for the simpletons

Matt can you explain that all to me?
I havnt been following it all but how does it do more harm than good and how does reducing/ limiting the amount of infected international travellers into the community a bad thing?

boobook

Despite incorrect claims here, the government does not have any policy of testing Chinese travellers. It's testing travellers of all nationalities and races who arrive from HK, Macao and mainland China, regardless of their nationality and ethnicity, including Australians.

Edit. I wonder if people have read the report or just articles like in say the Age? The recommendation says that it does not recommend travel restrictions. ( and the government has introduced none). But it does recommend more scrutiny of international arrivals. It is right there in the report. And the recommendation clearly states it is based on the high level of vaccination in Australia. You can't have it both ways. No where in the reccomendation does it say screening will make matters worse. Just the opposite in fact. Sheez

While I do not believe that there is a sufficient public health rationale for imposing restrictions on travellers from China or any other country with a high burden of COVID-19 cases at present, I recommend consideration be given to enhancing Australia’s existing surveillance capabilities with a particular emphasis on international arrivals.

Last edited:

boobook

Don't know if this was a statistical anomaly but a couple of flights from china arrived in Italy almost half positive.
It is similar everywhere that has implemented inbound checking. Taiwan is seeing 1/3 of all passengers from China arrive with covid. Of 82 cases that turned up in Japan one day, 80 were on flights from China.

I can't see why it is such a big deal for the anti-vaxxer brigade in introducing this measure. It is not an obtrusive or unreasonable requirement at all.

The same people are arguing against vaccination, and had their advice been taken, it would mean much stricter travel restrictions.

EDIT, BTW travellers TO China from Australia need to do a test 2 days prior to getting on a flight. I think travellers will understand Australia's position. It's just the anti-vaxxers who complain.

Last edited:

muffin man

Who cares about case numbers, covid is just another virus but for some unknown reason a fear campaign was released along with the virus. Like the Flu some will die, not ideal but reality. The unvaxxed are not getting sick and dying as predicted....Novak Jokavich is a prime example. Now that the fear campaign has ended we are all just living with it. The vast majotity have had it, some several times. Most report feeling a bit crook for a day and in our case we got 7 days of work to enjoy relaxing and getting a few jobs done at home.

smwhiskey

The unvaxxed are not getting sick and dying as predicted....Novak Jokavich is a prime example.
Actually he's a poor example for your argument. A wealthy, supremely fit athlete with no underlying health conditions who is regularly tested and has easy access to high quality medical services is highly unlikely to die from covid regardless of whether he's vaccinated or not.

muffin man

Actually he's a poor example for your argument. A wealthy, supremely fit athlete with no underlying health conditions who is regularly tested and has easy access to high quality medical services is highly unlikely to die from covid regardless of whether he's vaccinated or not.
I disagree.

Triton14

Who cares about case numbers, covid is just another virus but for some unknown reason a fear campaign was released along with the virus. Like the Flu some will die, not ideal but reality. The unvaxxed are not getting sick and dying as predicted....Novak Jokavich is a prime example. Now that the fear campaign has ended we are all just living with it. The vast majotity have had it, some several times. Most report feeling a bit crook for a day and in our case we got 7 days of work to enjoy relaxing and getting a few jobs done at home.
I'll agree with the majority of that except for NVJ as an example, who knows if he has had covid or not?? He just decided he wouldnt get vaxxed & stuck to it, nothing wrong with that as its his opinion & body.

More the point where people were forced to get vaxxed by their employers or dont have a job, these employers(or government actually) should be taken to court for infringement of rights imo!

As mentioned previously my brother, 57 years of age, unvaxxed, drinker, smoker, contracted covid & had mild cold like symptoms for 3 days.

Most people who have hay fever probably feel worse for 3 months of the year, take some pills to control it & get on with daily life, as we all should.

Again if you believe all the hype you need to be vaxxed 4 times a year.................................who will promoting that in either politics or in the health profession??
Becasue you will get shot down/not re elected or just laughed at.

No one because its only even remotely applicably for 5% of the population who are vulnerable.

Anyone else, assume the positions & just keep going as it never happened.

I just wish I had shares in those MRNA companies prior to the pandemic as you would be kicking back right now!!!!!

And again, you people keep getting vaxxed 4 times a year if thats what you want, you will have nothing to worry about then.................right boobook :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There are more long standing diseases that need more attention than CV19 imo!

Last edited:

boobook

Yep and more government responses that have zero medical value and no benefit, testing the Chinese travellers, what a farce, even the health experts say it will do more harm than good
SNIP
Matt can you explain that all to me?
I havnt been following it all but how does it do more harm than good and how does reducing/ limiting the amount of infected international travellers into the community a bad thing?
Because it will continue the fear and anxieties amongst the general population, it will cause more financial problems and it will achieve nothing in a country that has been open for a while and the virus has already done its opening up wave with an estimated case number of over 10 million

I think the Question was where is evidence that "health experts" say it will do more harm than good, not what any particular lay person's opinion on what will do more harm than good.

I'd be interested to learn how asking passengers to take a simple 2-minute test before boarding an international flight will cause more financial problems for Australia and invoke fear and anxiety in the general Australian population.

I would have thought the exact opposite is true if the Australian cases resurge like in China.

Last edited:

Kippie

China requires a negative test before you're allowed in, so our new rules now match theirs. So who's complaining?

My understanding from the latest readings is that cost of living and in particular interest rates are the main cause for anxiety, not covid.

The current covid variants are more infectious but less severe than the delta variant. We also have a high degree of herd immunity that reduces the severity of the already weakened virus strains. Comparing the current strains with the original is apples and oranges. Nevertheless, we've lost some 17,000 Australians since the pandemic started, with the bulk of deaths occurring since the restrictions were abolished. Anyone saying "it's just like the flu" is living on a different planet.

boobook

My understanding from the latest readings is that cost of living and in particular interest rates are the main cause for anxiety, not covid.
Not to mention that incoming travellers needing to take a covid test is supposedly causing society anxiety and financial problems. LOL.