Cooper Vs. BF goodrich

go4wd

Time to get new tyres. I'm for ALL Terrain and head some good and some bad stories about the Cooper, so I will probably go for the BF goodrich and would like to hear what people experience with these tyres?

Pridhac

Out of our group of 5-8 trucks that regularly wheel together, 3 of the group wear BFG's. All too regularly, either one, two or three of the BFG shod machines spend half the day reseating beads.

Of all the other tyres along, including Goodyears, Mickey T's and others, it is only ever BFG's that go flat with crud in the bead.

Just my observation....

stets

cooper atrs are by far the best wearing at on the market, they are bloody tough for punctures too, that said bfgs arent a bad tyre but they do like to break thier beads a bit too often. i think it has to do with the sidewall thickness or construction. the bfgs are a better trye for the slippery clay that you come across on wet gravel roads as they seem to shed the mud easier and not clog up so much, but they chip more than the coopers on the dry gravel

Sharky

Sambartom, have you actually had BFG's or is that just your opinion? And what cooper tyres are you comparing them to?

To truly compare tyres you need to comare them on the same type of car, ie 80 series. You might get a realistic comparison if you had a set of coopers on a cruza & a set of BFG's on a patrol as they're similar size & weight but the 4x4 systems are different so grip would not be an even comparison.

BFG M/T's do tend to have bead issues when run at low pressure but their A/T's don't. They let little rocks & mud between the rim & the bead. Upon saying that, the only time I've had to let mine down as much as other tyres I've had is on the beach, & I haven't had an issue with the beads in sand, only in mud & rocky stuff. Let's face it, Mickey T's & Simex would leave BFG & Coopers for dead in their M/T range but A/T's are really road tyres with a deeper tread with a defined edge & stronger sidewalls.

I've had coopers & so have many people I know & their mud & sand tyres don't last as long as others when used daily on rd & whilst they're good for off rd grip, their all terrains are SH1T on the rd in the wet but will do 100,000km if looked after. My GU diesel used to loose traction before I'd finished letting the clutch out & that was with minimum throttle & PLENTY of tread. It's due to their hard compound. Many others I've spoken to have said similar things. However they do have very strong side walls.

Last edited:

Pridhac

Out of our group of 5-8 trucks that regularly wheel together, 3 of the group wear BFG's. All too regularly, either one, two or three of the BFG shod machines spend half the day reseating beads.

Of all the other tyres along, including Goodyears, Mickey T's and others, it is only ever BFG's that go flat with crud in the bead.

Just my observation....

Just to clarify my comments above, the tyres we have trouble with are BFG A/Ts in the equivalent 31" and 33" sizes.

knot_gillty

I've got a set of the BFG A/T's on the 80. Great tyre off road when the right pressures are used and a great tyre on road too. My only gripe with them is the amount of small stones that always seem to stick in the tread. I personally haven't used the coopers but a mate of mine has them on his patrol ute and does'nt like them one bit!! I will try and find out why and get back to you about it.

inkpig70

I run BFG’S MUD’S 33” on my 60 and cant fault them in wet clay mud or rock and I give them hell and they have never let me down yet I mostly run them at 18/20 psi :D:cool:

Sharky

Actually, now that I think about it, the only time I've seen BFG's have beading issues is on Sunraysia rims. Maybe there is a reason why they're only $70ea fitted.

I've had no probs with my 33" BFG muds on stock steel GU rims (yet), but I did have bead probs when I had a set on 8" sunraysias a couple of yrs ago. That said, if your suspension is limited as it should then the tyre will move too much &........................

Poorly matched rim vs tyre widths will cause the same issue too.

I guess it's good to have forums where many people can post their experiences with these things.

The funny thing for me (literally) about coopers is that without fail, everyone I've spoken to who has had them has raved on about them when they 1st get them but by the time they wear, swears they'll never touch them again. Read what you will into that, it's just an observation.

Ideally, I'd have good A/T's for daily use & a set of Simex's for play.

cptmud

The funny thing for me (literally) about coopers is that without fail, everyone I've spoken to who has had them has raved on about them when they 1st get them but by the time they wear, swears they'll never touch them again. Read what you will into that, it's just an observation.

Ideally, I'd have good A/T's for daily use & a set of Simex's for play.

This happens with quite a few brands of tyre,my pro-comps where great when new, but once half worn, no good off road anymore, its the same for any offroad tyre, once they are about half worn, they do not proform anywhere as good as you expect them to

jjjason

[QUOTE: The funny thing for me (literally) about coopers is that without fail, everyone I've spoken to who has had them has raved on about them when they 1st get them but by the time they wear, swears they'll never touch them again. Read what you will into that, it's just an observation.]

I've done 50k on my Cooper ATR's and have no hesitation buying them again for road/light 4x4ing. Shouldn't have any problems getting the 90k they guarentee

buddah_04

coopers are a very good and can last the kms,
the bfg mts i had did about 40000kms (good tyre for the bush not so for road though)

joekar

The funny thing for me (literally) about coopers is that without fail, everyone I've spoken to who has had them has raved on about them when they 1st get them but by the time they wear, swears they'll never touch them again.
Interesting.

I have had BFGs in the past and on a GQ and a NJ Pajero they were OK. Not that flash really and grip was never very good, at least for me.

So when it came to putting tyres on the GU I have tried a couple of brands, just to see what they are like.

The Pirelli Scorpion ATs were great on the road and never gave me any concerns off road. They were definitely a little more bitumen and dirt road oriented than most, but to be fair, that covers a lot of my driving.

the biggest negative is that they wear too quickly - I got less than 50k out of a set. So, I replaced them with Cooper ATRs and over the past 3,000 klms I have been VERY happy wth them. They grip well on all surfaces (although I have avoided mud) and the only bad thing I have to say is that they pick up small stones far too readily so I would be checking them all the time on gibber tracks.

I'll be interested to see if I join the ranks of the Cooper haters as they wear though.

Sandman

I'm looking forward to seeing what you Joekar has to say about the Coopers.

Any chance of an update? I'm trying to decide on what to get next.

Traveller

4x4 Earth Contributer
I think bfg v's coopers is a bit like toyo v's nissan, both very good, but suited to slightly different
styles. A couple of mates run coopers, one loves 'em,one threw them out. Another only got 50,000 or so
from his bfg a/t's, yet I've got about 70,000 so far, with a few thou towing a 2 1/2 t van, and will
get more kays yet. I also run bfg muddies, bought 2nd hand off a mate. They would have done
40-50 thou, about half(good half!) worn, so one more season in the bush, then run them out onroad.
The mate I bought them from got Micky T MTZ's, better on road but not as good in mud is his
verdict, might go back to BF's.
But do have the mud in bead prob on the muddies at times.

croozza

Time to get new tyres. I'm for ALL Terrain and head some good and some bad stories about the Cooper, so I will probably go for the BF goodrich and would like to hear what people experience with these tyres?

They are all over-rated, and over-priced, try Nankang Mudstars or Maxxis Bighorn. You get more bang for your buck.

UncySpam

I've had both Cooper ATR's and BFG AT/KO's and I wouldn't go either again.

Not after using the Mickey T's ATZ's that is.

Now I'm running Cooper ST's (thats what came on the Pootroll when I got it) and while they are a great tyre offroad, they are starting to throw lugs... at only 25k :/ so I guess a life of only 35 or 40k is likely.