Cooper Sure Trac Tyres

Sons of Callum

Ok so we want upgrade our tires on the 4wd. At the moment we only have highway terrains but we wont to get some more grip off road! Has anyone had experience with these tires? If so what are they like eg. road noise, how fast do they wear, things like that.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

shaneg

it all depends on how time you spend on the road and off road that would determine what tyre would best suit your needs. I have just taken my raodies off and put some saverro all terrains on for i spend about 60% of my time on the road but have enough to have some fun in the bush aswell. The only thing ive heard about the stt's is that they clog up a bit in the mud because of there tread pattern.

UncySpam

I have Cooper ST's on my Patrol, and I think they are the Ducks Nuts.

I had ATR's on my Pathfinder, and they are good, but clogged up in Mud very quickly. While the ST's are NOT a serious mud tyre, for everything else they are brilliant, and they are not too bad in the mud - I would say that they are about equal with the BFG M/T's in the mud. If you do a lot of Mud driving, then the Mickey T MTZ's appear to be the choice (havent tried them myself) but for a range of driving, including not too bad on road, then the ST's are good.

Sons of Callum

Yeah we are not really looking for serious mud tires but if we get to a spot that happens to be a bit muddy we want to have the confidence that we can have a chance to get through the area!!

Thanks UncySpam

Trash

Just got a rodeo with cooper ST's guy I got it off reckons they are good for 40000km, not sure how true this is maybe someone can confirm.

Sons of Callum

I wouldn't think that 40,000km for a set of tires is good! It would be interesting to see someone who has owned a set for a while and how long those ones have lasted.

UncySpam

Mine are just over 20k old, and there is only a little noticable wear on them. Cant tell you how long they will last, but would be very surprised if its as little as 40k... I got more than that from the ATR's too...

shaneg

From all reports i have read and heard the ST's are good all round tyres however the STT's are the ones i was refferring to about the tread pattern not really able to disperse the mud and clog up more. I agree with the idea of serious mud tyres getting a set of Mickey Thompson MTZ's although youre a week late as the price for them just went up on Monday nearly $40 extra per tyre.

FamilyTruckster

Got a set of ST's on my GQ. They are 30,000 km's old and are hardly showing any wear. They are a great allround tyre, and pretty good in the mud for what they are (nothing a set of Simex's couldn't fix).:D

captain_pound

have fitted coopers ST to my new hilux, the road noise is not noticable over the standard tyres it came with. plenty more traction. i am happy with them. i have a friend who has them on a patroll. he has done 70 thou including trips through the cape and right around the top of australia then trough the centre. and they not yet completely worn but they are getting close to the tread markers. he has no doubts on getting the same tyres for the next pair.

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
havent the coopers got a warranty for 80.ooo klms anyway you have to get them roatated balanced and aligned regulaarly but you do that with any tyre anyway

Dirtbag

I ran Cooper ST's on my troopy, and had a good run out of them. They do everything reasonably well. Mine were only half worn at 75,000km (5 tyre rotation).
I had to ditch them as one developed a bulge in the sidewall, then two of them went out of round....sections of tread about 6" long were lifting. Other than that I was happy with them.

I changed to MTZ's, and am rapt in them:)
I reckon the MTZ's are quieter than the ST's up to about 80km/hr, then they start getting a bit noisier. Still not too bad though.

One thing I noticed was that with the ST's the troopy always pulled slightly to the left.
I think this is because the tread pattern runs diagonally across the whole tyre width.
As soon as I changed to MTZ's, it tracked true again.

Cheers
Glenn

Last edited:

Sons of Callum

I changed to MTZ's, and am wrapt in them:)
I reckon the MTZ's are quieter than the ST's up to about 80km/hr, then they start getting a bit noisier. Still not too bad though.

Are the MTZ's more of a mud tyre than the Cooper ST's?

Which one would you recommend if you were going to do 70% of your driving on bitumen?

Dirtbag

Are the MTZ's more of a mud tyre than the Cooper ST's?

Which one would you recommend if you were going to do 70% of your driving on bitumen?
Well, I've only done 15,000km on my MTZ's, but I'm more than satisfied with their on-road performance. Yes they are a more aggressive tread pattern than the ST's, but they perform equally as well on the blacktop. Offroad, I think they are superior.

Most ST's do have a 80,000km warranty, but the devil is in the detail.
It might pay to read the fine print:Mileage Warranty

Cheers
Glenn

shaneg

If youre running 70% on road use i wouldnt go past BFG all terrains, cheaper than the coopers and their reputation is just as good.

Sandman

I seem to see a lot of BFG All Terrains when I go 4wding as well driving on the bitumen.

I had friend highly recommend the Cooper ST's, but I think the BFG's would be a better option.