• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Cooper STT . Good ? Bad ?

Offtrack

I've got STTs and they've been a good, reliable tyre, under all conditions except for wet bitumen. I would say that I've done 50,000 K so far and there is still some life left in them. In that time I've only had one puncture (recently) caused by a large Tek screw. The tyres have been extremely good in the mud, and drive fairly well on the road, when it's dry.

The negatives: As they have worn down, they have become much more noisy and their performance on wet bitumen is now fairly abysmal. Several times when applying the brakes reasonably conservatively on a wet road, I have locked the wheels. This is more prevalent now that there is some wear, although the tyres are by no means bald. It happens more just after the rain has started, before the road has had a bit of a wash down.

I am now going to try the KM2s as I need a mud tyre that performs a little better on a wet road. HTH.

Anton11

yep, I totally agree with that mate especially if you are in the middle of a turn, like in an underground carpark, wet, and turning into a space......PHEW....just missed that concrete column - gonna go the MTs I think

Anton11

pressed the button b4 i finished

So, the STT's, good in the mud, bad on the black stuff, especially in the wet.....IMO

:D

Out on Patrol

in what world is a stt better than a creepy crawler??? thats a competition grade tyre your comparing to a cheap ass made to a budget piece of sh it!. this is just bullshit at its greatest. the only way a stt would have beaten a creepy crawler is if they werent mounted on rims and the crawlers were being pushed up the hill sideways by a one armed 12 year old boy............ there is a reason creepies are used in comps and not stt's...........
Post of the week!

My GU had coopers on it when I bought it, worst things ever. I honestly felt unsafe driving on the things when the road was even damp let alone wet. Their warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on either. One of my sidewalls split whilst parked in the driveway -lucky it didn't happen on the freeway- took it in as it was obviously a failure of the garbage rubber they use and they said no warranty. Had to give the A hole $355 for another POS rubber death trap so I had a set. Went out and bought another set of wheels and tyres for it shortly after and retired the things to the shed. I gave them away when I sold the car earlier this year.

ball12

Post of the week!

My GU had coopers on it when I bought it, worst things ever. I honestly felt unsafe driving on the things when the road was even damp let alone wet. Their warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on either. One of my sidewalls split whilst parked in the driveway -lucky it didn't happen on the freeway- took it in as it was obviously a failure of the garbage rubber they use and they said no warranty. Had to give the A hole $355 for another POS rubber death trap so I had a set. Went out and bought another set of wheels and tyres for it shortly after and retired the things to the shed. I gave them away when I sold the car earlier this year.
the only reason people think coopers are decent is they watch lord roothy the messiah run them in 4wdaction and constantly rave on about them, they get such a plug in that show people are brain washed into thinking they are good tyres, its simply not the case.

good to hear that my comment made some laugh but even better to hear that you got rid of them, just curious as to what you bought instead?

Out on Patrol

the only reason people think coopers are decent is they watch lord roothy the messiah run them in 4wdaction and constantly rave on about them, they get such a plug in that show people are brain washed into thinking they are good tyres, its simply not the case.

good to hear that my comment made some laugh but even better to hear that you got rid of them, just curious as to what you bought instead?
Totally agree with the 4WD Action comment, such a biased mag. I no longer buy it, haven't for a while.

I replace them with Mickey Thompson MTZ's and found them pretty good. Was planning on trying the new KM2's this time but there was a two month wait so went back to MTZ's, only 33's this time.

ball12

I replace them with Mickey Thompson MTZ's and found them pretty good. Was planning on trying the new KM2's this time but there was a two month wait so went back to MTZ's, only 33's this time.
you wont look back if you decide to get a set of KM2's, theyre absolutely awesome.

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
Not sure if many remember, but Roothy ran the Mickey Thompsons for awhile, & he raved about them as well.

Have never ran the STT's but a few mates who have said they would never buy them again, for a variety of reasons. I had a set of MTZ's which I found to be very good with their 'on road' behaviour excellent for a mud tyre. I recently purchased the KM2's & they are better again.

Finally BFG have a mud tyre that doesnt cause you to have 'pucker moments' everytime you drive on a wet bitumen road...:D

By the same token, many people have been very happy with the STT's; guess it just comes down to personal opinion & what they want/expect from a tyre.

Last edited:

Anton11

I have STT's and shit myself whenever im on the black and its wet!!

Someone mentioned that they also pull to the left because of the tread pattern, and I must say, that is tru as well..

I believe that, vehicle capability, suspension, and driver skill are much more important than which mud tyre.
I'm sure all the mud Tyres work well in the mud.
Is mud performance all to compare?
What about wear, noise, slippery on road, wet, dry?
It is a fact that Km2 are the worldwide leader in all round comPared mud tyre.
Driver skill is the big one, the right line and technique....

That's my 1.75cents worth.

Out on Patrol

I believe that, vehicle capability, suspension, and driver skill are much more important than which mud tyre.
I'm sure all the mud Tyres work well in the mud.
Is mud performance all to compare?
What about wear, noise, slippery on road, wet, dry?
It is a fact that Km2 are the worldwide leader in all round comPared mud tyre.
Driver skill is the big one, the right line and technique....

That's my 1.75cents worth.
Well seings Sam is asking how they go in mud/slippery stuff/boggy conditions, it seems he wants to know peoples opinions on how tyres they have used performed in the mud. People have been posting on how the tyres handle on road, and if you are worried about noise and thinking of buying mud tyres, buy something else. They all end up noisy, some just louder than others.

D4Dlux

I'm on my 2nd set of STTs (31/10.5/15). Got 80k kms out of my last set which included a lot of black top. They are great in the mud and pretty good in the sand as well. Many don't like them since they are a hard compound and apparently chip- never had a chip yet and I'm at about 35k kms on my 2nd set. It all comes down to not being lazy with tyre pressures mate. I did the Plenty Hwy in mud and dry gravel (about 800 kms) at 85-95 km/hr and not one chip or fault- I just let mine down to about 26 psi and was good to go! Not real noisy either once they get worn in a little. I drive a 06 Hilux. Cheers.

D4Dlux

I should add that they can be slippery on a wet black top but this is rectified by simply driving to the conditions and using a bit of anticipation- simple really!

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
I'm on my 2nd set of STTs (31/10.5/15). Got 80k kms out of my last set which included a lot of black top. They are great in the mud and pretty good in the sand as well. Many don't like them since they are a hard compound and apparently chip- never had a chip yet and I'm at about 35k kms on my 2nd set. It all comes down to not being lazy with tyre pressures mate. I did the Plenty Hwy in mud and dry gravel (about 800 kms) at 85-95 km/hr and not one chip or fault- I just let mine down to about 26 psi and was good to go! Not real noisy either once they get worn in a little. I drive a 06 Hilux. Cheers.
May be a high country thing in Vic with the rocks and shale we have on the tracks here.

More sidewall fails for cooper than the other major brands has been my experience waiting on the side tracks waiting for other members of the convoy tyres to be changed over. I have been told by Cooper covnertees you must make sure you get the light truck tyre version.

Tyres to suit driving conditions is what you should take away from this and the 200 other threads on which tyres are any good already on the forum. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

.................. could it be soft marketing by the tyre companies every two or three months ... I wonder:eek::eek: ... no I'm just be synical again;)