• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Cooper STT . Good ? Bad ?

Sam61sam

Hey guys ! I have cooper ST on my luxnow ....
I want to upgrade to a good mud tyre . Does anyone yave any feed back on the cooper STT ?? How do they go in mud ?? I do a fair bit of slippery stuff and bogggyyy . Need a good ttyre .
Suggestions welcome :)

Davidman

4x4 Earth Contributer
Just my point of view, but I have heard that the Cooper muddies suffer more sidewall cuts and damage than say BFG's do, possibly one ply thinner. Could be worth doing some research on specs from their websites.

ERASER

I have recently fitted stt's to my Hilux. As a mud tyre and for rock work they are very good. They are also suprisingly quiet on the road. I bought them on the idea that i would see for myself if they were any good.
I initialy had a problem with them pulling left. Everyone told me it was the tyres. However ive since found out that i had a sticking piston in my front left caliper. Thats fixed and it now doesnt pull left anymore.
It does have a few small chips on the leading edge of some blocks but i guess thats to be expected for the driving ive done.
Overall im now happy with them and glad i got them.

Sam61sam

I have recently fitted stt's to my Hilux. As a mud tyre and for rock work they are very good. They are also suprisingly quiet on the road. I bought them on the idea that i would see for myself if they were any good.
I initialy had a problem with them pulling left. Everyone told me it was the tyres. However ive since found out that i had a sticking piston in my front left caliper. Thats fixed and it now doesnt pull left anymore.
It does have a few small chips on the leading edge of some blocks but i guess thats to be expected for the driving ive done.
Overall im now happy with them and glad i got them.
Yeh ??? How do they go in the mud mate ? Loving the lux by the way

ERASER

Thanks hilux is getting there slowly.
The tyres are excellent in the mud. Self clean very well and dig down and bite through the slop.

ball12

in one word......... terrible! over priced crap. you'd be much better getting a set of bighorns or km2's. even the kl71 is a much better tyre then a stt

dabigboy

the rubber is very hard and they dont clean the best in mud.... my 2 cents :) I second the BF km2 or some bighorns....

ERASER

The rubber on mine is softer than my mates km2's and my previous km's. If id had a choice between km2's and stt's i would have choosen km2's previously. But i was impatient and wanted to make my own opinion on the stt's. I dont regret buying then at all. As for there mud abilities they out performed km2's and creepy crawlers a few weekends ago up a very rutted and muddy hill climb.

Sam61sam

thanks mate , i like hearing both sides :) I have the ST now n even they do pretty bloody good out in the bush , i dont get stuck often until i sit on my diffs . theyre only 31's .

ERASER

lol i had st's years ago and hated them. Swore id never get coopers again after them. But i gave the stt's a go as there a different tyre altogether.

Sam61sam

yeh thats alright then atleast you know .
ill See how i go with fitting those tyres , might need to get new wheels to grrr

ball12

I dont regret buying then at all. As for there mud abilities they out performed km2's and creepy crawlers a few weekends ago up a very rutted and muddy hill climb.
in what world is a stt better than a creepy crawler??? thats a competition grade tyre your comparing to a cheap ass made to a budget piece of sh it!. this is just bullshit at its greatest. the only way a stt would have beaten a creepy crawler is if they werent mounted on rims and the crawlers were being pushed up the hill sideways by a one armed 12 year old boy............ there is a reason creepies are used in comps and not stt's...........

ERASER

in what world is a stt better than a creepy crawler??? thats a competition grade tyre your comparing to a cheap ass made to a budget piece of sh it!. this is just bullshit at its greatest. the only way a stt would have beaten a creepy crawler is if they werent mounted on rims and the crawlers were being pushed up the hill sideways by a one armed 12 year old boy............ there is a reason creepies are used in comps and not stt's...........
On the same hill climb a hilux with km2's didnt make it a 80 series with 35 inch creepy cralwers didnt make it and id did with stt's. Like i said in my post it was a muddy rutted hill climb.
I like your imagination though..................... :rolleyes:

Pure Yobbo

Different cars will perform differently same with tyres. Presures make a huge difference along with weights and wheel bases of the 4by's if you are going to have a true comparision of tyres they need to be on the exact same car doing the exact same tracks.

Cheers

ERASER

The same car driven on the same track twice on the same day but with 2 differant drivers will also behave differantly. I was just trying to make a point that they are good in the mud.

Pure Yobbo

The same car driven on the same track twice on the same day but with 2 differant drivers will also behave differantly. I was just trying to make a point that they are good in the mud.
Thats correct mate or after several cars cars have been up a track it also changes. Especially Toyota drivers they alway spin it up :rolleyes::rolleyes: