Cooper S/Ts

Silver_Bruiser

Hi everyone,
I must say I have taken on board lots of the comments made about tyre choice on this forum and........ have just ordered a set of Cooper S/Ts 285-75-16 to replace my current Cooper A/Ts same size.
The A/Ts have been a fantastic tyre and still looking good after 60,000 klms.
They will end up on the purpose built off road trailer I am working on (if anybody has any 100 series Live axle rims 16x8 available let me know).
The change has come about through the desire to just have one set of wheels and and get to most places (off road) without hesitation.

Let me know if you think I have made the right choice.

Check out Coopers Web site Cooper Discoverer Sure Trac

Richard

Poolman84

I think you have, I have 2 mates with them, Jackaroo and Gu patrol wagon! both have no complaints about road noise, and neither struggle off road! the aggressive and deep tread help immensely. good choice, as you said for one tyre only option! otherwise I would have got Goodyear wrangler mtr!!

monk2

Hi Silver_Bruiser i got MTAs on my cruiser and got 90,000klm out of the first set and now on my second set and have had no problems with them i found them to be quite good of road with a lower tyre pressure in them, i run them all the time on and of road got old and lazy to keep changeing them for what i want they are excellent
just my 2 cents worth
regards Gary

olcoolone

Richard, you will be happy with the S/T's.

We had the ST/C's on our 4x4 and did a fair bit of dirt and rock driving, what you have to remember is they are still a "All Terrain" tyre so don't expect them to do as well as a "Mud Terrain" in some situations.

We have since gone to Toyo Open Country M/T's as they are more suited to what we need but they don't handle as well as the Coopers on the blacktop or fast dirt.

Tyres are a personal thing and everyone has his or her own ideas.

With the Coopers we found running the any lower then 15psi made them bag out to much and greatly increased the chance of side wall damage, we did three tyres in our last Northern Simpson trip....all in the side walls.

The Coopers are a good honest A/T tyre and if use right will give you many happy kilometers.

olcoolone

Silver_Bruiser.

You mentioned you were after some Landcruiser rims, I have 3 of them if interested.

Regards Richard

Silver_Bruiser

Hi, yeah am after 16" x 8-9" 5 stud with offset for a live axle 100 series for my trailer (soon to be modified), if thats what you got I am definately interested. PM me with your contact details and a price and I will get back to you

Silver_Bruiser.

You mentioned you were after some Landcruiser rims, I have 3 of them if interested.

Regards Richard

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hey Silver Bruiser,
We also are looking at the Cooper S/T's. They do seem to be best suited for rock/sand so will eager await your report. Spewing we can't make it - especially after all this rain we've had.

Jarh73

I have recently bought a 1998 GU Patrol with 285/75/16 Cooper ST's.

Can't comment off road but on road they seem fine. Lot of wet weather down here in Melbourne and i have had to pull up quite quick for some lights and they seemed to perform very well.

As for general handling they seem fine, not that the Patrol is any kind of Handling Machine! I drive to suit the vehicle :)

As for noise they seem fine nothing that bothers me.

Cheers

Justin

jimbob

i only have 3 letters to say here...............BFG....................they arent number 1 in Aust for nothing.

Silver_Bruiser

Hi Justin,
I was running Coopers XTR s but because of more off road work these days I went up a notch. I have noticed a slight increase in road noise but nothing annoying or unexpected. My old XTRs have done about 40,000 klms and still good for another 40,000 infact they are going on the trailer I am about to start doing up.
Because of the fantastic performance of my Cooper XTRs I have had no hesitation paying out the dollars for the STs. I will see how well they perform at Loveday this Saturday (especially with all this rain) but I am sure they will exceed my expectations.
Richard
I have recently bought a 1998 GU Patrol with 285/75/16 Cooper ST's.

Can't comment off road but on road they seem fine. Lot of wet weather down here in Melbourne and i have had to pull up quite quick for some lights and they seemed to perform very well.

As for general handling they seem fine, not that the Patrol is any kind of Handling Machine! I drive to suit the vehicle :)

As for noise they seem fine nothing that bothers me.

Cheers

Justin

olcoolone

Richard don't expect them to go to well in the mud, this was one down fall of the ST tyres due to there small block design.

Fantastic on rock and dirt, good on the road in the dry or wet.

Nobody makes a tyre that is great for everything, they all are a compromise.

You will enjoy your ST's as a everyday tyre.

Sounds like you are going to have a challenging weekend up at loveday, been past there heaps but never gone in to have a play.

We are off to Saunders Gorge for a look and a camp.

Silver_Bruiser

Coopers & Loveday trip

Well for everyone thats interested I am VERY happy with the way the Cooper STs behaved on the Loveday trip over the weekend. I was running them at 18psi and the terrain varies considerably, what with the Playground and tracks. It didnt matter what I threw at them they just did exactly what I wanted even when I took to the air (front only :eek:) in the sand and landed the two tonne beast.
The mud cleared the tread quickly and when looking at the tyres of others on the trip mine appeared to be less clogged with mud.
So I will give them the BIG THUMBS UP :D and say that I spent my money wisely.
Loveday09807.jpg

Loveday09056-1.jpg