Cooking / Fire

Blue Dog

Now we are in Bushfire season most outdoor fires are banned you can normally use gas cookers and gas BBQ's aslong as they are in a cleared area, it is a good idea to check with the local rangers or bush fire units to find out the rules for the area you are in for the time you are there as someitmes they do ban all out door fires and flames, also be aware that smoking in the bush during total fire bans fall under the bans and you can be fined.

darlingd

In the Northern Territory you can have an open fire as long as it is being used for cooking purposes at any time of the year, regardless of any fire restrictions (At least this was the case when I was with the Bushfire Brigade around 4 years ago).

Sharky

Camping is just not camping without a fire...........that's why I go so far out, there is no authority. Upon saying that safety is always foremost, & we're right next to about 3,000,000L of river.

To answer the question, in WA, yes. There are some places you can get away with it but you can use your own discretion there. If it's anywhere in the lane pool reserve or any national park I would go without fire. BUT........by law in this state, you are allowed to have 1 for the purposes of cooking but you must state that this is what the fire is for, & the evidence obviously needs to prove that too.

BUSHNUT

Camp/ cooking fire protocol is in especially bushfire/dry season is to have a radius of 3 metre cleared earth and have a fire bucket filled with water /dirt or sand nearby .

tiny

fire permits are not required for fires for the purpose of heating or cooking, provided that:

the fire is in a permanently constructed fireplace, with a cleared area of at least two metres all around;

an adult is in attendance at all times; and

The fire is completely extinguished before leaving.

from the nsw rsf website NSW Rural Fire Service

darlingd

The regulations for fires do vary from state to state so it would be best to check with the appropriate fire service in each state.

Sambartom

In VIC on a total fire ban day you can NOT use any thing that sparks EG,chainsaw,grinder and so on.You can not use a naked flame eg,gas cooker,fire in a hole to cook on,candles and so on...ALWAYS BE SAFE WITH FIRE we have had our shear of bush fires in AUS PLAY IT SAFE.....;):)

oncedisturbed

Camping is just not camping without a fire...........that's why I go so far out, there is no authority. Upon saying that safety is always foremost, & we're right next to about 3,000,000L of river.

To answer the question, in WA, yes. There are some places you can get away with it but you can use your own discretion there. If it's anywhere in the lane pool reserve or any national park I would go without fire. BUT........by law in this state, you are allowed to have 1 for the purposes of cooking but you must state that this is what the fire is for, & the evidence obviously needs to prove that too.

If the ban is in place by DEC, FESA or the relevant shire, a gas cooker is the only means able to be used. there are set regs relating to this including restrictions / times such between 10 am and 6pm you may not be able to and other areas you will be able to

Swaggie

Camp/ cooking fire protocol is in especially bushfire/dry season is to have a radius of 3 metre cleared earth and have a fire bucket filled with water /dirt or sand nearby .

I usually have water on standby if its hot (not total fire ban) and the wind is variable...

BILLBY

home work boys and girls

been caught out in VIC before there is a total ban on all fires except for cooking only and then 1m x1m max no logs longer than a metre and if you are in a NP then no chainsaws are allowed either,was involved in situation that went to court from a fire down at pink lakes ,fire was 1m x1m but the log was 6m over the top trying to burn in half . Do your home work before you go,
:cool: