Conspiracy Theories:

Hoyks

I can't see it going ahead.
Too many people have too much invested in the staus quo.

People invest in housing because it gets such a return, even those with a single house hope to cash out one day and no one would be too pleased to see demand drop and prices stagnate. Changes to negative gearing will affect self funded retirees and there will be a huge stink kicked up.

An interesting idea as it has been done before, but trying to get it off the ground now... it will be a shooting themselves in the political wedding vegetables.

Albynsw

I don’t think that what they are proposing will have much effect on the market prices any more than what investors do to the price even if it did go ahead. My issue is that they are in fantasy land to think a government organisation can actually do anything cheaper or more efficiently than the private sector. Maybe they could put it out to tender to be done and subsidise the costs?
The next step of it all is imagine how much money it will cost the taxpayers to operate and maintain the buildings on a yearly basis. Where will they get the funds from the budget for that?

Maybe they could look to subside rent payments for those that qualify?

Last edited:

LongRoad2Go

The main difference between the housing schemes laid down by Government in the 1940's and now are the layers upon layers of corruption in Government, the private sector, and our political parties over that time.

We once had Government departments brimming with professionals - Public Works, Housing Commissions, Road Authorities, etc. From plumbers to Construction Engineers all tasked with building and maintaining public infrastructure. Then, the country was taken over by bean-counters and they somehow thought it would be cheaper to get rid of those 'public servants' (the ones who pay taxes, buy groceries, supported domestic manufacturing) and let it all be privatised = ruthless cost-cutting, pretend competitive tendering processes, poor quality everything, and most importantly a brain-drain that can't be regained without huge investment and willingness to rebuild what was lost.

Frankly, there is no hope. the cost-cutting is continuing to a stage where it's likely everything will be privatised - good luck getting ANYTHING done without dealing directly with a private company who just doesn't give a rats. Complain to your local member? Hah! They're already paid off by business! Welcome to the American system!

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Anyone remember the BER, millions of dollars for tin sheds WAFJ - builders of all sizes came out of the woodworks to build said sheds at an absolute premium and us Taxpayers lined the pockets of all of these people, a School that I looked after wanted me to do all of their communications network but were told they must use the builders contractors, we had to go around later and correct all of their work as they didn't even test the network cabling they installed as is required, some of the faults were patently ridiculous.

cam04

Anyone remember the BER, millions of dollars for tin sheds WAFJ - builders of all sizes came out of the woodworks to build said sheds at an absolute premium and us Taxpayers lined the pockets of all of these people, a School that I looked after wanted me to do all of their communications network but were told they must use the builders contractors, we had to go around later and correct all of their work as they didn't even test the network cabling they installed as is required, some of the faults were patently ridiculous.
That money was given to a particular tier one builder to administer. Most of it was funnelled through other companies they owned. Totally closed shop around our area at least.

Corndoggy

The blocking out of the sun is caused by the alien space craft that has been circling the earth as it abducts us, experiments on us and gives us an anal implant probe. Just ask Cartland.

Last edited:

boobook

The blocking out of the sun is caused by the alien space craft that has been circling the earth as it adducts us, experiments on us and gives us an anal implant probe. Just ask Cartland.
Where do you think Lizard people wearing suits come from?

boobook

A few people here have been extremely critical of the Police.

But the Police woman's actions yesterday show how police are truly valuable and put in difficult positions. I hope people who have been a pain in the ass, a burdon to others, and caused trouble for no sensible reason while complaining about police powers recognise how important these people are to our society.

I don't like how "hero" is an overused term these days, but this police woman is a true hero, putting others ahead of herself and taking decisive action. It's humbling to think what Police put up with and still go to work every day putting their safety on the line despite selfish fools putting them down simply for stupid beliefs.

mikehzz

A few people here have been extremely critical of the Police.

But the Police woman's actions yesterday show how police are truly valuable and put in difficult positions. I hope people who have been a pain in the ass, a burdon to others, and caused trouble for no sensible reason while complaining about police powers recognise how important these people are to our society.

I don't like how "hero" is an overused term these days, but this police woman is a true hero, putting others ahead of herself and taking decisive action. It's humbling to think what Police put up with and still go to work every day putting their safety on the line despite selfish fools putting them down simply for stupid beliefs.
I agree 100%. Even bringing a gun to a knife fight doesn't help much if you're nervous and shaking. She must be a pretty cool customer, full credit to her.

smwhiskey

I don't disagree with this nor have a problem with it but rather that it seems that praise/criticism of police action in a situation where a knife in involved is determined with the benefit of 20/20 hindsite by people who wern't there and didn't have to make the split second decisions required.

Of course if it had been a little old lady with a knife...

boobook

Of course if it had been a little old lady with a knife...
Or an anti vax horse puncher.

e41089569c15fc4953b3989ea8852e09

Last edited:

boobook

Not a conspiracy theory, but likely to come to Australia st some point I think

Madness. But most European cars and 4wds won't last that long anyway. They generally become uneconomical to maintain after 4 - 5 years. Spares are difficult to get with long lead times. With this, there won't be any spares at all after a few years.

This is just another reason to buy Asian vehicles and not European ones.

PS I do have a European Petrol SUV, and yes, it is costly to maintain at four years old. Brakes every 30,000km, Tyres every 20 - 25000 km, ( low profile tyres suck) and always something at every service, even the free ones.

Last edited:

LongRoad2Go

Not a conspiracy theory, but likely to come to Australia st some point I think
I doubt it will come to Australia anytime soon. The Classic and Vintage car/truck market is a HUGE thing with billions invested worldwide. If anything, it's perhaps another example of why the Poms left the EU - political lunacy they didn't want to be tied to.

Maybe, in some of those postage stamp sized countries/principalities, they should simply ban vehicle ownership outright - they already have high density mass transit ... sit back and watch all those billionaire Ferrari and Bugatti owners go nuts. While we're at it, ban private jets, luxury yachts and so on - they all need repairs and burn fuel.

Importantly, imagine if they did introduce that policy in Oz - vehicles would be as disposable as electronics, and that in itself is a serious worldwide issue e.g. E-Waste.