Complete rookie saying hi.

Neil Cheetham

Hi guys and girls,

Im very new to off-roading, have zero experience and live in western Sydney. I own a very basic 4x4 in a 1998 Holden Frontera but figured i wanted to be able to get onto the beach and it would handle that task a little better than a Toyota Echo.

Any assistance on what this vehicles capabilities are, tyres, beginner trails that are accessible in NSW and even any camping tips/recommendations would be invaluble. I would really love to get into off-roading and if it is something i enjoy, will be investing in a more *hardcore* 4x4; but for now, just not getting stuck in my nephews sandpit would be a great start :).

I'm looking forward to contributing/learning from this community and will be picking your brains whenever i am able.

Thanks,
Neil.

hiluxdriver

Welcome Neil, keep an eye on the NSW Trips section as one pops up every now and then. Those guys are ok and will show you the ropes.

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
Welcome Neil, keep an eye on the NSW Trips section as one pops up every now and then. Those guys are ok and will show you the ropes.
We're just okay? C'mon Jase!! We're awesome!!

But the Fajero driving hiluxdriver is correct Neil. Huge group in Sydney often doing camp style trips that would suit a newbie!

However, as we're all tied up with the vic trip at moment, if you're hanging to get out there, I highly recommend a book called "4wd treks close to Sydney". it's produced by a mob called Boiling Billy.
Well worth a look in with some easy tracks (and some hard) very well documented!

See you out there!

richardlnsw

Hi Neil. Welcome to Earth. We all had to start somewhere!! There is plenty of info. on here to search through to suit all your needs... just hope your bank account can suit all your needs as well lol

RODEODAVE

welcome aboard neil as suggested previously the 4wd treks close to sydney , its a great book with trip notes that make it very easy not to get lost.
In this book there is a day trip down to the cox's river via the 6 foot track very easy trip that can be done in 1 day with a great spot to stop for a swim and bbq /picnic by the river if you get down there you have to check out the suspension bridge over the river ( AWESOME)

Dave