Common sense is in short supply...

Toyasaurus

What, common sense.
No such thing these days, like common courtesy it`s a thing of the past.

Now called uncommon sense.

Colly18

From the ABC:
Definitely not a smart choice made by this driver in this day and age when mobile phones/cameras are everywhere and societies standards have changed so much from 50 years ago (when most people would have thought this was nothing but a bit of harmless fun!?)
I must admit I'm not completely comfortable with (am undecided on) when to dob in or not dob in someone for making a stupid decision. I find it interesting that it appears the situation was one of take a photo and lodge it on social media (effectively report the incident to authorities), when if there was genuine concern for the kids in the back someone should have perhaps waved the driver over and politely explained the situation?

Chatty

Definitely not a smart choice made by this driver in this day and age when mobile phones/cameras are everywhere and societies standards have changed so much from 50 years ago (when most people would have thought this was nothing but a bit of harmless fun!?)
I must admit I'm not completely comfortable with (am undecided on) when to dob in or not dob in someone for making a stupid decision. I find it interesting that it appears the situation was one of take a photo and lodge it on social media (effectively report the incident to authorities), when if there was genuine concern for the kids in the back someone should have perhaps waved the driver over and politely explained the situation?
Is it only wrong if you're caught?
I do agree - back when I was a kid this would have been seen as harmless fun, but in those days kids used to ride around loose in the back of station wagons and I can recall riding in the back of utes driving into town along the highways.
But, our risk assessments change, we realise that those behaviours were unacceptably risky and we change.
Was posting the photo on social media "dobbing in"? Well, we don't seem to have a problem when someone posts a photo of a shoplifter with a "Have you seen this person?" So, where do we draw the line between what is "acceptable" identification of wrongdoers and what is "unacceptable" dobbing in?

Hoyks

I do agree - back when I was a kid this would have been seen as harmless fun, but in those days kids used to ride around loose in the back of station wagons and I can recall riding in the back of utes driving into town along the highways.
But, our risk assessments change, we realise that those behaviours were unacceptably risky and we change.
When I first moved to N-QLD in the '90's it was perfectly legal, as long as you sat down and kept your arms inside the vehicle. Wasn't uncommon to see a ute load of mango pickers motoring around down town Townsville on their way to stripping backyard trees.

But around that time they also had a few Landcruiser utes roll on the roads up north of Cairns and 8-10 killed or seriously injured was about the average for a vehicle that was meant to fit 3, so the government thought they should probably do something about it and changed the laws.

There have been more than a few serious injuries from someone just dumping the clutch and 1/2 pissed mates falling over the tailgate and landing on their heads too.

I rode in the back of a ute a fair bit and let my kids do it, but poking around paddocks in 1st and 2nd and only 2 or 3 (sober) people in the back to check on the cows or going shooting is different to ripping it up the beach with 8 wedged in there and limited places to hang on. But its hard to legislate for all situations.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Still do spotlighting out of the back of a ute running through paddocks, however we don't take the kids.
I reckon your decision if it only affects you, otherwise their is some responsibility required for others, especially children.

Wannabe4WDer

Nothing wrong with poking around a paddock or a secluded beach with someone in the back, but to do it and fang around a busy beach in the middle of summer with the back chockers is taking it to far and he deserves to be followed up by the coppers.

John U

If he was driving dangerously dob him in. If he was driving safely let it go.

I don’t reckon anyone would bother photographing someone tootling along the beach with a couple of kids in the back. Just like they wouldn’t take photos of a parked ute with a couple of kids in the back.

Scrubull

C'mon man, no real opinion? :cool:.

Haha well I generally don't enjoy sitting around gossiping about such things, to many people stick there noses in people's business, no big deal though... also I grew up on the back of a Ute in the scrub so I don't really see an issue unless the person was doing 100 with a rum can in hand. Today's world in general is pc stupid, social media is the devil :D

shanegtr

If he was driving dangerously dob him in. If he was driving safely let it go.

I don’t reckon anyone would bother photographing someone tootling along the beach with a couple of kids in the back. Just like they wouldn’t take photos of a parked ute with a couple of kids in the back.
I gotta agree with you there. I was down in the south west at Bremer Bay over new years - plently of young guys in 4wds doing shit that young guys do,, but they where out of the way of everyone else and no doing any harm that I could see. Next high tide and you'd never know about the circle work a few hours earlier...