Colorado steering wheel decaying falling apart

muc the truck

I just noticed the sunny side of my steering wheel in my 2010 Colorado is falling apart .
I have the povo pack one .

just wondering if anyone else is suffering the same defect. Mine has just reached 55,000kms and has been in a car port its whole life. bit pissed off about it .

Wondering what to do about it , considering getting the leather bound wheel , could any one please tell me how the leather wheel is holding up

Thanks for your input.

ross and cher

Muck, Ours is the 2010 ltr model, leather boundwheel, 160k and parked in the work carpark all day, though normally use a sun shade and all good.

Last edited:

muc the truck

Muck, Ours is the 2010 ltr model, leather boundwheel, 160k and parked in the work carpark all day, though normally use a sun shade and all good.
Thanks mate. The top of mine is looking like a old bath sponge. yet my 79 modle Holden's wheel is still perfect . At least I know if I buy the leather wheel it will last better than what I have . Its great to get input like this . thanks

tuffcolorado

G'day , I've got a 2008 coli with 78,000 and i drive it pretty hard. Nothing wrong with steering wheel. Ive got a rubbery wheel. Cheers.

When I bought my Nissan Patrol GUIV it was 4 years old with a leather bound steering wheel. I noted to the dealer that the tour section of leather appeared to be a little rough and worn, he fobbed me off saying it was wear and tear and not a big deal. Well over the next 3 years it disintegrated and the top section of leather fully split open. I ended p cutting the top section out with a sharp blade to expose the nice unwrapped wheel under the leather. Was a little thinner though so gave me the sh1ts a bit.

A couple of weeks ago I came across another whole leather wrapped wheel still with the airbag intact and all for $120. Was concerned about how hard it might be to swap over with the airbag and all but Seriously a 5 to 10minute job tops!! In hindsight, a simple upgrade.

Find a nice leather wrapped one at a wrecker and swap it out. I put up with mine for 3 years and if I'd known ow easy it was to swap I'd have bought another 3 years ago.

rcracing2

Hi,
I to have a 2010 lx colorado and my steering wheel is also pretty cactus. It has done 180000 kms though! I might look at doing what mudrunner suggested.

muc the truck

Ok . Holden the nice people offered a 50% good will replacement. My part for a Povo pack steering wheel was just under $600. I refused there kind offer as I said they were thieves. The lady asked why. I explained while holden had my car I walked around to spar parts . The told be the povo pack wheel was just over 500 and the leather wheel just over 900 but yet I just bought a leather one from ebay from a seller that imports them from gm Thailand and sells them delivered to my door for $330. Toook me 15 minutes to fit . 5 of that was waiting for airbag ecu to power down after battery removed.

So from now on I will be looking for parts for my Colorado online from a importer as I don't intend in paying Holden 3 times as much for the same item unless I have too.

muc the truck

Really that seem excessively over priced. Are you in a really remote are with no near by competition?
Mate Holden set the prices. there is one dealer , two parts sellers here in Townsville . one that sells just retail if you have an account and one that recognises trade discount if you show proof of running such business. the prices I quoted are not accurate because I toss the quote away in discuss but there still with in 20 bucks .

Its Holden being a bloody thief that is all. Dealers don't get it the same price as Thailand GM price plus freight . Holden toss on top a massive mark up as soon as it lands here and its often well over 100% markup.

No different to Landover . You can buy parts from Paddock spares the worlds biggest landrover dealer and pay air freight to your door and often get it arrive to you at under half the cost of your local landrover dealer.

it goes back to Lets rip of Australians . there rich and stupid. There are thousands of worldwide companies that screw us over with prices . Holden is just but one of them .

Swaggie

Mate Holden set the prices. there is one dealer , two parts sellers here in Townsville . one that sells just retail if you have an account and one that recognises trade discount if you show proof of running such business. the prices I quoted are not accurate because I toss the quote away in discuss but there still with in 20 bucks .

Its Holden being a bloody thief that is all. Dealers don't get it the same price as Thailand GM price plus freight . Holden toss on top a massive mark up as soon as it lands here and its often well over 100% markup.

No different to Landover . You can buy parts from Paddock spares the worlds biggest landrover dealer and pay air freight to your door and often get it arrive to you at under half the cost of your local landrover dealer.

it goes back to Lets rip of Australians . there rich and stupid. There are thousands of worldwide companies that screw us over with prices . Holden is just but one of them .
As a tax payer subsidising this company for many years and they repay us with this type of rubbish, I walked away from Holden a few years ago after being loyal since I passed my drivers licence.. No more.

Now with Toyota its been bullet proof, no leaks on my driveway. Most original and parts havn't been replaced 2 or 3 times.. Great purchase, that's why Holden hit the skids they cannot build a decent vehicle with quality parts etc...People have woken up and don't want them.

Last edited: