Coleman 5 Piece Cook Set Review

Swaggie

Coleman Family Cook Set - 5 Piece

Ok i bought this set about 2 years ago from Ananconda..Coleman gear is usually top notch but they bought out this Red Saucepan Set and they are absolute rubbish..Heah the first time i used it i was away with a group in the Murrandindi Forest and i was boiling water for a cuppa tea with one on my tailgate using the 511 Coleman stove (which i will review later) and i was talking to a group of about 5 blokes away from the vehicle and we hear a bang,clang,crash etc, all looked around and the saucepan was so slippery on the bottom when the water boiled it slid right off the burner onto the tailgate and into the dirt...lmfao and everyone else did too,This was the first time i used it..Plus the coating they use is rubbish,comes off easily and scratches easily.I know you dont use steel utensils with non stick coatings.....especially for 60 odd bucks but i notice there about $40 bucks now...

My opinion on this product is Do Not Buy...

There are 2 reviews here at the Coleman Site for your perusal: Coleman - Family Cook Set - 5 Piece

2000006593_500.jpg

Here are the Specs about it:

Includes 10 in. (25.4 cm) frying pan
6.5 quart kettle with lid
2.5 quart saucepan with lid
Detachable handle that fits frying pan and sauce pan
Convenient, heavy duty durable steel
Riveted, plated-steel handles
Made in China

Side Note: I use an old aluminum 3 stack steamer with handles.But only take 2 as its enough for us..

Note:
These Reviews i write are from my own Camping Gear that i have bought over the years that i have used and paid in full...Ive decided to write these reports so my fellow 4x4Earthers can make a valid choice on what gear to buy whether it be of high grade quality or poor quality.

Last edited:

Seafgxr6

Ahhh i bought a set the other day for 29.99 from rays outdoors clearance store..

Might build a brace to stop it from slipping haha

I guess you get what you pay for.

But they do sell alot of top quality items.

LowLux

Wow...that's not good as it could have fallen onto a child, if there was one standing next to the tailgate and that really is unusual for Coleman, normally they're not too bad. Thanks for the heads up.

cloughcarib

I agree Swaggie. I bought a set a few years back and they are shocking. After four trips away they were rusting and the non-stick coating was coming off!! Definite NO BUY!

muc the truck

was it Level? I cant see how it could move unless it was not level. There has to be a force behind any movement.

i cook on cast iron.

03hilux

I had a good look at the coleman unit in the flesh today at the Newcastle caravan and camping show. They are slippery even with dry hands. I put one on a stove top and gave the display table which was level) a small tap, and wola, the pan started to fall.

Quality wise, they dont seem too different to the $15 three piece set you can buy at Big W. ( The big w ones have fixed handles)

cloughcarib

was it Level? I cant see how it could move unless it was not level. There has to be a force behind any movement.

i cook on cast iron.

I'd imagine the force came from the vibrations of water boiling? My set cupped and bowed in all sorts of directions, and never sat flat on a burner.

cloughcarib

Yeah, our camp kitchen stuff is now all good quality, heavy S/S. I have one large cast iron camp oven.