Cold Sleep

D

Dingo1

Do you feel cold at night even though you are sleeping on an air matress with a ground sheet underneath or you maybe sleeping on a camp stretcher and still feel the cold coming up through well there is a solution and this is what I tell all my scouts "when you put down your ground sheet, put down a woollen blanket then the air mattress and the cold will not get to you and you will be warmer all through the night. It works for me and I sleep on a camp cot as I call it.

Dingo :cool:

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
whats this cold business i live in queensland theres no such animalup here . hmmmm actually it can get a bit chilly at stanthorpe i suppose but only when it gets to minus degrees thanks for the info i will try taht next time were up there havnt been for a while have to try for 2009 and hit the wineries

D

Dingo1

Cruiserlad I'm not talking about air cold it's ground cold that does the damage to a good nights sleep yes Qld can and is a warm state on the coast but try outback Qld and I don't mean Toowoomba I'm talking about way out back where the Emus run with the Roo, that's where it gets ground cold.

beanbag

"And they're cheap"

Those thermal roll up mats do the trick under the mattress... but!.....take up room!...OK if your taking a trailer, or have more room in the bus than my "Pathy"..lol :)

WILDTI

4x4 Earth Contributer
Do you feel cold at night even though you are sleeping on an air matress with a ground sheet underneath or you maybe sleeping on a camp stretcher and still feel the cold coming up through well there is a solution and this is what I tell all my scouts "when you put down your ground sheet, put down a woollen blanket then the air mattress and the cold will not get to you and you will be warmer all through the night. It works for me and I sleep on a camp cot as I call it.

LOL I know that feeling of being cold during the night. At O'Tools in November all the fellas gave me heaps (even the other half) for bringing along the woollen underlay, the next morning Croozer said quite sheepishly "good idea bringing that underlay". It's a sound night sleep from now on when it's cold & we're camping!

Fox Shooter

Also I have found that works good. Those alloy reflecting windscreen covers you get from autocrud and supercrap. With the air bed pumped up place one of those under the mattress sheet and presto your own body heat is reflected back to you and the cold ground doesn't come through.

ChallengeLee

Thanks for all the hints guys, l'm one for feeling the slightest inkling of cold so am always prepared...yes even up here in Queensland (I was born in Victoria ;))

I have a woolen underlay that l use on top of my air mattress usually and have a fleecy liner insert in my sleeping bag that alway does me well.

Davidman

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Will have to try the silver windscreen cover that lives in the 4by next time. Doesn't take up any room, and like others who have posted here, I feel the cold and there is nothing worse than an uncomfortable or cold nights sleep. Thanks for the tips Dingo1, keep them coming.

Adventure guy

Another little trick is, lay down a Coleman emergency blanket , cheap and it works.

;)

Brisey

I also find that when you are sitting around the campfire on a winters night the frnt of you is nice & warm but the chill comes through the back of the chair so I always lay my old picnic blanket on the chair back & seat then sit down. Keeps my back warm nicely.

Another great idea is to put a shovelful of embers under your chair, keeps you warm for ages.

Cheers

Bri

we lay a tarp under our swag if not in tent down south w.a. gets cold camp fire a must and the picnic blanket sounds like a great idea for the chairs

Patriot

Administrator
A couple of tricks I have found. Use a sleeping bag liner. I found one at Aussie Disposals for about $15 a few years ago. It is basically cotton sheets in the shape of a sleeping bag. You get into that and then into the sleeping bag. With my old sleeping bag, I was often cold, but the liner makes a huge difference.

The other thing is if your feet are cold you will feel cold no matter how much stuff you have one. Out at Omeo a couple of weeks ago and forgot my liner . The first night I was cold, so the second night I put a second pair of socks on. Worked like a treat. Slept all night :)

James

Traveller

We used to use a space blanket, then a closed cell foam sleeping mat when camping in
igloos or tents on Mt. Stirling. And a very good sleeping bag of course. I personally cannot
stand air beds, worst thing ever invented for sleeping, uncomfortable for me and transfer
the cold through easily. Each to there own tho'.
Now I use the trusty old swag, a tarp or tent floor beneath it and a minus 10 bag, toasty!
It is a coleman 'tundra' bag, very wide at about 1 metre, and quite long- relatively cheap
compared to what else is available for that quality.
The 'Katmandu type' stuff is what I used when ski touring-my bag then was $200(1982-3)
but worth every cent, the young bloke uses is now, still warm and wearing well!

Knackers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Brisey, agree this works well. There is another guy on the site that is keen on this method. I think it could be 4x4?

Cheers
Knackers

Brisey

Hi Brisey, agree this works well. There is another guy on the site that is keen on this method. I think it could be 4x4?

Cheers
Knackers

You gotta be careful not to put too many coals under the chair though it can be too hot on the bum :eek:

Cheers

Bri

Sharky

Dingo1, just put the woolen blanket on the matress under you sleeping bag for even more heat ;)

Or even better, get a better quality sleeping bag & sleep with a track suit on. This way you carry fewer items & less weight.

manxaura

There is another method, if you have sleeping bags that join take your significant other camping with you and use body warmth to benefit both participants. shared body heat can warn off the coldest of nights. "like a camp fire it takes two logs to have a fire" enjoy practicing this one at home too. :)