Change background image

Coffin Bay - Lincoln National Park. SA

Discussion in 'Camping Areas' started by JohnT, Oct 31, 2018.

1. JohnT

JohnT New Member

Good morning folks,
    I am in the process of planning our annual trip for next year and have landed on Coffin Bay (and surrounds). The trip is planned for about 14 days in the first two weeks of April.

Now whilst I have traveled a lot around SA, I have only ventured as far as Pt Lincoln and that was for work. So I thought I would turn to the good folks here to ask a few questions.

1) We are planning to stay in the Coffin Bay caravan park (Im taking my Jayco Outback Swann). Has anyone stayed there and can you comment on how safe this caravan park is? In regards to safety Im referring to things be flogged. The last thing I want to do is leave my Waeco out if its likely to go missing

2) If anyone has been over there the same time as we are planning, can you comment if it is typically windy?

3) I am considering staying in the Lincoln National Park for a few nights. Given that Ill have my Jayco in tow, I wont be taking to many of the 4x4 tracks to find camp. If you have any information or advice on the camping in the park, I would really appreciate it.

I really appreciate any advice given. This is shaping up to be an awesome trip and will provide many opportunities for my love of Landscape photography.

Cheers
    John

2. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

You have tarmac down to the first camping spot.. And a big sign saying no caravans beyond that... It is backed about and soft sand so I would heed the sign... Great park, very peaceful and deserted beaches

3. JohnT

JohnT New Member

Thanks Smitty. The sign pretty much covers taking the camper then ;)

4. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

I would also consider camping a Sharinga a few nights if your into landscape photography. Its situated 1 hr 20mins west if Pt Lincoln with good sheltered campsites with only a hop over 1 dune and your on the beach.

Campsite is camper friendly and has some fascilities, plus is quite sheltered if conditions turn foul.

The coadtline itself offers fantasitc photo opportunities with rugger cliff escarpments and several huge dune systems to explore. There is also good fishing off the beaches and rock ledges which can be accessed via the cliff top tracks.

Just an option to consider if you have a few days up your sleeve and want to experience some stunning coastline not to far from Pt Lincoln.

shaun0 likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's coast on the Southen ocean. Wind is normal but not constant.
    Can reccomend the cruise on Boston Bay.

6. silkwood

silkwood Active Member

The caravan park is pretty good, I'd say quite safe- but I didn't leave a Waeco outside either, so make of that what you will.
    Good advice about not taking the camper beyond the first camp, the sand can certainly be pretty soft through there.

Another good spot in the area (Port Lincoln side) is Memory Cove. I think your camper would be fine in there. However it is bookings only and VERY popular. Maybe something to consider on a future trip. I've heard Sheringa Beach is a great spot when quiet.

Beautiful place, don't forget to pick up a dozen oysters and a bottle of sparkling or chardonnay before leaving town!

Cheers,

Mark

7. JohnT

JohnT New Member

Hey Smitty. When you say first campsite, are you referring to Wisemans Shack or Horse Rock?

8. smitty_r51

9. JohnT

JohnT New Member

oh I was talking about the Lincoln National Park

10. smitty_r51

Sorry mate... My mistake

JohnT likes this.