Coffee machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mini

I love a decent cup of coffee, cannot stomach powdered coffee (I'm spoilt). Options as I see them are a 12 volt system or a 240 volt unit and buy a 2000 Watt invertor. Was thinking of a pod machine for a quick mess free easy solution. What do others do ??. My current method involves getting out my Gasmate stove, gas cannister, kettle, water, coffee plunger, coffee, cup, milk, blah blah, Then afterwards wash it all up and pack away - too much of a pain. 240 volt Coffee machines take 45 seconds to heat and serve. Invertor is the big cost at ~$499 so a lot to invest for coffee.

CTL

The problem with inverters is they suck some serious current quickly. AGM batteries do not like that. Whilst the old AGM will work, it does suffer and life expectancy is shortened. Lithium is better for inverters.
Plus don’t forget to add in the cost of the inverter’s installation, cables need to be huge, bigger fuses, etc.

Mini

Hi CTL, never gave that a thought, best I look for what 12 Volt has to offer. I wwould have no other use for an Inverter as I have gone for years without one Mini

cam04

mokka pot and stretch your milk with a digital meat thermometer in a staino frother on the stove. I cannot find a shortcut that makes better coffee than the genuine way.

Kippie

You can buy a lot of coffees with the money for a 12 Volt lithium battery system and associated equipment to make a cuppa in the bush. Isn't bush camping all about simplicity? I use the old percolator and manual milk frother. Does the job for me. If I want a cappuccino then I buy that in the first cafe I run into.

Mini

Kippie, right on about the money for coffees and I totally agree. Another option for smoko would be an iced coffee which would also give me forced hydration and less of a diuretic. Another would be to learn to love tea with a tea bag. Had a look at the Mikita coffe machine and rang their enquiry line. The machine operated on the standard Mikita batteries and they need 240 volts to charge them and they advise a generator is not advised so it is back to the inverter option which could stuff my old but reliable aux. AGM battery. Anybody got a straight 12 volt option I could consider ?? Mini

Mini

mokka pot and stretch your milk with a digital meat thermometer in a staino frother on the stove. I cannot find a shortcut that makes better coffee than the genuine way.
Hmmmm, had a look on Google at these Moka coffee devices, a little less mucking about I suppose or the other thing is, just to get out of bed a little earlier, make two coffees, one to drink straight away and one for the thermos flask. BTW, I have found on super cold mornings, the gas cylinders for my Gasmate freeze over as the gas escapes (Boyles Law at work) and the fix is to take a spare cylinder with you in your swag or sleeping bag overnight to have a warm replacement.

Kippie

You could go for a manual espresso press and separate milk frother.

cam04

Coffee bags are a lot cheaper and easier to store and use = proper ground coffee not instant coffee. Not so good for cappacinos or lattes but for real men black expresso is great.
Those things are weak as dishwater. If you are boiling water anyway, boil it in a mokka and make an actual espresso that hold the spoon up haha.

Mini

Will try those coffee bags, surely if they are too weak the ratio of water to coffee is wrong, OR two coffee bags in a cupp could keep me perky till the afternoon Haha. This has got to be a cheap option to start, hell, I might like it and spend the invertor money on something else. I could still get in a Christmas order for a Moka.

cam04

Will try those coffee bags, surely if they are too weak the ratio of water to coffee is wrong, OR two coffee bags in a cupp could keep me perky till the afternoon Haha. This has got to be a cheap option to start, hell, I might like it and spend the invertor money on something else. I could still get in a Christmas order for a Moka.
Actually if you are stuck, Japanese supermarkets sell disposable one cup dripolator setups in packs of 10. The Timms coffee bags don't force the water through, which is the very essence of what an espresso is. They make the relevent smells but for me the result isn't what it should be.

Chatty

Do yourself a flavour and get a Bellman CX-25P from Alternative Brewing. It's a stove-top espresso machine with a milk steamer built in, it takes ground coffee (we have a small hand grinder) and seriously makes about the best espresso you'll ever get.
It does take practice (most probably 6-8 goes) to get right, but once you do get it right, you'll never regret the purchase.
Being stove top it will work on any gas cooker or stove.

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
I'm with chatty 100%. Got the bellman and love it. Works a treat.
I've worked out less water = stronger coffee. I rate it, better than most coffee machines and it takes up no space and requires no power, Just some gas.

Bomber2012

I’ve used an Aero Press (shite) , One of the manual pump coffee machines (Miaco) I think ? It wasn’t bad but only delivers a thimble full of coffee , a wog pot which I think is the best of the 3 . Haven’t tried the bellman yet but they do look very good .

Triton14

I love a decent cup of coffee, cannot stomach powdered coffee (I'm spoilt). Options as I see them are a 12 volt system or a 240 volt unit and buy a 2000 Watt invertor. Was thinking of a pod machine for a quick mess free easy solution. What do others do ??. My current method involves getting out my Gasmate stove, gas cannister, kettle, water, coffee plunger, coffee, cup, milk, blah blah, Then afterwards wash it all up and pack away - too much of a pain. 240 volt Coffee machines take 45 seconds to heat and serve. Invertor is the big cost at ~$499 so a lot to invest for coffee.
Well look at it this way, you create a system that will support remote living/camping by installing a dual battery system & the dual benifit is it can get you out of the s!@t if your primary starter fails!

The bi product is you can run plenty on machines, TV's, microwaves, lighting, whatever as long as they fall into the right wattage/consumption.

I will be taking my Nespresso machine with me when I go camping, get cold milk out of the fridge, then rum my night light etc...................because I can ;)

New set up.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.