Change background image

cloud storage

Discussion in 'The Pool Room' started by ULost2, Jan 12, 2016.

1. ULost2

ULost2 Well-Known Member

so who uses cloud storage to back-up their mobile phone stuff? Who do you trust?
    Always used my own hard drives for photos and stuff but I'm now wondering if I should could use Google Drive (??); especially for the m/phone stuff. Using android phone btw
    Your educated thoughts would be appreciated. I'm certainly not the sharpest tool in the draw when it comes to this techno stuff. Very slow to trust it you might say

With Cloud storage I still wonder what happens when there are no clouds to be seen. What happens when there's lots of lightening and big bang bangs?? How about if the cloud isn't big enough? Or they are rolling along with gaps in them :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

I do both

Local backup is faster and more convenient but cloud is good secondary backup e.g. loose your computer and phone to a fire - still have a backup.
    But our internet and data limits do limit its practicality as a main backup.

80lover96gxl and ULost2 like this.
  3. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

Cloud storage is operated by Big Chief White Cloud.
    He does get help from some of his tribe who learn the techno stuff just in case he gets sick.
    Unfortunately Cloud storage will only be for a short time into the future as it may be have some recovery problems.
    However it is anticipated that Earth Storage will come on line next year.
    This is going to be a more simple method for the computer illiterate. All you need is a compass, a shovel, some waterproof plastic bags and you will be able to store your filing cabinets as well as other files.
    At the moment the operators are looking for a suitable location, preferably out in the desert of Central Australia.
    It appears that this may be a safer method for storing highly confidential stuff.

4. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

I use backblaze at home - unlimited backup and its not much per year - maybe $80?

It does its own thing; you never have to touch it

Aaron

5. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

I have a Western Digital MyCloud hard drive on the network in the home office. It can be accessed from anywhere over the Internet for backup or retrieval of files and also for local backup of our office laptops.
    For us it's fantastic as we can access our files wherever we are making the business truly portable. And no ongoing fees.

There's obviously the problems of fire and theft seeing as it's at home, which I'm still working on. Thinking about possibly a small safe bolted down in a hard to find location. The power and network cables could come in through a small hole with intumescent putty around it to seal it off in a fire.

6. ian.c

ian.c Well-Known Member

Just coppied over 2000 photos that are stored on my Samsung smart phone onto my mates external hard drive and onto a usb stick just in case my cloud storage dissappears into cyberspace at the same time as my phone gets run over by a bus

Bomber2012 and ChallengeLee like this.
  7. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

It won't really matter if your holding the mobile at the time..

rogerazz, ULost2, ian.c and 1 other person like this.
  8. ULost2

ULost2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feed back. Bugga the clouds; they seem to blow around too much. I will keep doing it here for now as I do with photos even though the photos have become a bit of a 'must tidy up' job

ian.c said:
    Just coppied over 2000 photos that are stored on my Samsung smart phone onto my mates external hard drive and onto a usb stick just in case my cloud storage dissappears into cyberspace at the same time as my phone gets run over by a bus

That was a good move IanC; especially storing at a mates house. It's amazing the number of people who lose or have their phone/camera/lappy stolen or broken and all their photos are on that one device. My camera photos go onto the computer asap; backed-ed to another drive .......... um :oops:...... well that what's meant to happen and did happen with all work photos. Once thats all done the camera card is formatted ready for the next load of pics.

Flickr does seem an ok option for photo backup storage. But best to pick your 'the best of' regularly and treat them with a bit more respect. Another thing on my to do list :oops:. That would be about 10-20% of photos on my various hard drives. Maybe 5-10% really. Honestly; it is a bit ridiculous the number of photos we take with phones or cameras and even stupid the number of photos we keep.
    Cheers

ian.c likes this.
  9. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

Photography has changed so much. Back when we used film and had to pay for film, developing and printing (unless you used slides) I think we were a lot more selective about our photos. It was all about quality over quantity.
    Nowadays, with digital photos being "free", it's totally the other way - all about quantity and hope that you get that one great shot in all the rubbish.

Plus, don't start me on everybody having a camera on their phone...

ULost2 likes this.
  10. It's always hard to trust something we don't understand. I don't understand the clouds and I don't trust them.

I backup my stuff on a portable hard drive but then that is hit and miss anyway.

I know of a newish tech company that has no IT department, everything is done via the cloud. They are a lot smarter than me and I'm sure they know their stuff but I just can't get my head around not having complete control of your data. That being said I don't have anything worth flogging anyway.

If my house burns down or my hard drive dies I'll feel pretty stupid I suppose...

Better go and back up on a second device now - and store that somewhere else.

boobook and ULost2 like this.
  11. Sir Snagger

Sir Snagger New Member

As someone who uses cloud storage on a daily basis, I can recommend Sugarsync as a great platform that utilizes your current folder structure on your PC (just select which folders you want backed up) and any changes you make are reflected as soon as your internet connection allows. The main con to this platform is the cost. I pay almost $100 a year for around 260GB of storage which isn't a lot (of storage) when it comes to photos and videos, and I'm almost at my limit. There are larger plans available too.

I'm considering changing over to a paid version of Dropbox (which does have a free amount, but limited to between 2 and 50GB depending on how you sign up to it - some mobile devices give you bonus storage). For $13/month you can get 1TB of storage or for $17/user/month + tax you get unlimited storage! The downside is your stuff has to go into the Dropbox folder on you PC. It doesn't work with your existing folder structure. I'll probably just cut and paste my entire Pictures and Videos folder structures into Dropbox if I got down this path (same for the Google Drive below).

A 3rd option is Google Drive. You get 15GB for free (included in your Google/gmail Account) and can upgrade to 100GB for $2/month or 1TB for $10/month, and more.

I find that it's great, even if it's just for a select few items like important documents or special keepsakes because not only are they safe from the phone being dropped in a toilet or under a rogue bus, you can log in from anywhere on your phone or another PC and access them when you need them and don't have access to your personal PC (like at work or on holiday).

There are plenty of other options out there, but these 3 are the only ones I've had experience with and all are great depending on your budget and purpose.

12. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

What I want to know with this cloud storage - doesn't your data leak away when the lightning hits the ground? o_O

13. Sir Snagger

Sir Snagger New Member

They only use clouds which float in areas of low storm frequency so as to minimize potential data leakage..... ;)

14. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Just remember as soon as you load anything into the cloud it is no longer yours.

If it is stored in the states it comes under us law
    And if the cloud company shuts down. Closes or sells the business on your data goes with it... You have no say.

I wouldn't be putting anything personal, secure, or my only copy in the cloud.

And one last rant... The cloud is marketing bulldust! It is a file server...it just ain't in your server room anymore!

cookie64 and rogerazz like this.
  15. peterfermtech

peterfermtech Well-Known Member

They are giving you free storage on their hdd that they paid money for in warehouses that they rent/paid for using electricity that they paid money for using Internet data that they paid money for and being maintained by technicians that they pay wages to.
    Why am I struggling to understand?

regards

cookie64 and smitty_r51 like this.
  16. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Backblaze is unlimited storage, syncs to your PC (to the folders you select) and is only $5 per month - well worth it in my books

https://www.backblaze.com/

Aaron

17. Sir Snagger

Sir Snagger New Member

That does look good. Hows it go with mobile devices?

18. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Not sure mate, I only use it for my PC.

Aaron

19. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

A friend got a new IPhone and gave her old one to his 12YO son. All linked up to Icloud thanks apple.
    What she didn't know was that every photo she took on here phone was reliably synchronized on to her old phone.

Till one day when she was told that her kid showed the photos of her new fiancé with no clothes on in his Iphone around school.

Doh.

Dead End Dendo and Chatty like this.
  20. Rojac

Rojac Well-Known Member

Just for phone backup , email, contacts, calendar, reminders and notes , can't see any value with photos as I back up to HD as for apple you get only 5gb free and anything over that you have to pay
    Just with that I'm on 2.7gb.