Climate Change - Biggest Money Making Con of the Century or Imminent Extinction of the Human Race

Albynsw

I was thinking of big industry and the drive to have it run 24x7, to feed our thirst for consuming things.
Back to the old days - just about everyone working a day shift only, factories stop at night, mining stops at night, shops close at night.
Sure, it wont work for many industries, but it could for plenty.

Even back to practically nothing being open in Sundays, only 'essentials' like the pub and servo. People just have to organise themselves better, find something else to do other than shopping for one day a week (I remeber when most shops were not open on Saturdays either)

Slow the pace.

Maybe I should join the Amish, minus the god-bothering part!

Regardless of the environmental aspect I think we should slow down for a better quality of life. Shops don’t need to be open 7 days and at night. It pisses me off that they trade on public holidays and Boxing Day. There is no opportunity for family time for a lot of workers

shanegtr

I just don't get it. As soon as you mention gas and even hydrogen everyone runs for cover.
50% of the worlds food production depends on ammonium based fertilisers and 1% of the worlds CO2 emissions comes from manufacturing NH3. Australia produces around 6% of the worlds production all from burning natural gas.
Wouldn't this be a far better way to cut emissions than relying on people to turn off their low energy LED's
Its not really technically burning natural gas. Most ammonia plants produce hydrogen by steam reforming of natural gas. Roughly 15% of the gas used goes to heating the reformers and the rest is feed stock for hydrogen production. That 85% that is reformed is where the bulk CO2 production is and not the heating side

Kippie

I just don't get it. As soon as you mention gas and even hydrogen everyone runs for cover.
50% of the worlds food production depends on ammonium based fertilisers and 1% of the worlds CO2 emissions comes from manufacturing NH3. Australia produces around 6% of the worlds production all from burning natural gas.
Wouldn't this be a far better way to cut emissions than relying on people to turn off their low energy LED's
There's no silver bullet. I believe that it must be a combination of technologies and behaviours to reduce CO2. But we have to start individually within the constraints of your specific circumstances. For example not everyone can afford solar panels, but reducing the amount of energy you use can be as simple as turning off unused lights.

peterfermtech

Its not really technically burning natural gas. Most ammonia plants produce hydrogen by steam reforming of natural gas. Roughly 15% of the gas used goes to heating the reformers and the rest is feed stock for hydrogen production. That 85% that is reformed is where the bulk CO2 production is and not the heating side
Um! So if you use semantics it's OK. However you say it CO2 is the by product.

peterfermtech

There's no silver bullet. I believe that it must be a combination of technologies and behaviours to reduce CO2. But we have to start individually within the constraints of your specific circumstances. For example not everyone can afford solar panels, but reducing the amount of energy you use can be as simple as turning off unused lights.
I think that concept might be a hangover from the days of incandescent lights. I think all the lights in my house now wouldn't add up to the 150 watt incandescent light we had in the loungeroom.

shanegtr

Um! So if you use semantics it's OK. However you say it CO2 is the by product.
I may have been a little anal on the point. Its only because I've previously worked in ammonia plants. However with current process's it may be possible to produce it cleanly, although no one has done it on an industrial scale yet I believe we wont be far off it happening. But yes CO2 is a major by product

Last edited:

discomatt

Not sure this is caused by a hoax, plenty of suffering and sacrifice in years to come