Climate Change - Biggest Money Making Con of the Century or Imminent Extinction of the Human Race

Kippie

The last couple of posts hit the nail on the head. There are too many self interests and anyone trying to break through that is considered a maverick and all sorts of rules and regulations are used to stymie all efforts for change. It's a shame and we end up with housing stock that's unsuitable for the next 50 years of climate change.

cam04

The thing we find the biggest joke with housing design these days is the lack of eaves and verandahs and subsequent greater reliance on air-conditioning to heat and cool homes. Sure it makes houses cheaper to build and you can cram more of them into a land area. Sort of sums up the Australian Government approach to climate change - take the cheap, easy way out despite the long-term implications.
Agree. You can’t mandate everything though, and everything is a compromise. If there wasn’t a level or two of bureaucracy above the developers, they’d serve up worse shit and call it sugar. Building compliance cannot be consumer/developer driven. One is a retard, the other a jackal. We’ve proven time and again the only way is down without strict compliance regimes in this industry.

Last edited:

cam04

The last couple of posts hit the nail on the head. There are too many self interests and anyone trying to break through that is considered a maverick and all sorts of rules and regulations are used to stymie all efforts for change. It's a shame and we end up with housing stock that's unsuitable for the next 50 years of climate change.
On balance, a lot of these ‘breakthrough’ technologies being mentioned are in fact old and there is good reason why they are not mainstream and better reason why they are deemed to be non compliant.
If you want to discuss self interest groups controlling whole markets have a look at the insulation council and how R values are calculated, effectively ruling out thin film insulators (ceramic paints etc) from ever entering that space in a meaningful way. We commissioned JCU to help us with this in the early 2000’s - woftam unfortunately.

boobook

For those who believe the lie promoted by governments and fossil fuel industry that solar can't cover Australia's power needs.
At last some good factual news

Fantastic. That project only has 4 major issues at the moment.
1)The Singapore government has not signed up for it.
2)The Singapore energy regulator said they have had a few talks with the consortium, but that's it.
and
3)It has not got funding.
4)Most importantly. Sembcorp Industries announced one of the largest floating solar farms in competition to exporting from Australia.

Sembcorp's parent company is Temasek. Temasek's parent is the Singapore government. I am sure people who understand anything about how the Singapore government works, know that all business goes to Temasek and Sembcorp if they are in a particular line of business.

I think the recent press on the Darwoin thing is a last minute part of a PR machine to get funding and try to SG Govenrment approval. Read the Singapore Press. Not so optimistic about this project's vibility.. Especially given the time difference where the peak generation is earlier in the day than the demand

If it gets up it will be a great project indeed, but it is just a plan at the moment.

Editied

Last edited:

Albynsw

Corndoggy

A quick home experiment for all to try on the effects of what we do to the environment.

1. Find yourself a thermometer.
2. Find your car keys.
3. Make your way to the garage.
4. Close all doors and windows. You have your own little world now.
5. Open car door and get inside.
6. Place thermometer on dash so you can read.
7. Start car and leave running. This simulates what goes on everyday all over the
world.
8. Watch the thermometer rise, marking down the times and temperatures.
9. Sit there till you pass out.
10. Get the wife to post the results.

If this is what happen in your own little world why would it be any different in our world?

WARNING. This experiment is definitely bad for your health. But some think its not for the planet.

Last edited:

John U

A quick home experiment for all to try on the effects of what we do to the environment.

1. Find yourself a thermometer.
2. Find your car keys.
3. Make your way to the garage.
4. Close all doors and windows. You have your own little world now.
5. Open car door and get inside.
6. Place thermometer on dash so you can read.
7. Start car and leave running. This simulates what goes on everyday all over the
world.
8. Watch the thermometer rise, marking down the times and temperatures.
9. Sit there till you pass out.
10. Get the wife to post the results.

If this is what happen in your own little world why would it be any different in our world?
Don’t actually do this. You will die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Colly18

More on the news. It was mentioned on ABC radio this morning that if (when) the Greenland Ice Sheet fully melts global sea levels will rise by 7 metres. What a mess that will be in the future.
Am I correct in observing that climate change deniers have gone very quiet in recent times?

mikehzz

More on the news. It was mentioned on ABC radio this morning that if (when) the Greenland Ice Sheet fully melts global sea levels will rise by 7 metres. What a mess that will be in the future.
Am I correct in observing that climate change deniers have gone very quiet in recent times?

They're all locked away indoors hiding from all the bad weather events.

On the bright side, a lot of people might soon have ocean views and beach front properties. :)

Antarctica is the big one, the ice covering the land mass, meaning "not floating", is on average 3-4 kilometres thick down there. That's mind boggling.

Colly18

They're all locked away indoors hiding from all the bad weather events.

On the bright side, a lot of people might soon have ocean views and beach front properties. :)

Antarctica is the big one, the ice covering the land mass, meaning "not floating", is on average 3-4 kilometres thick down there. That's mind boggling.
On a positive side, I've concluded that now is one of the most exciting times to be born into this world.
For a couple decades I've held the view that, although I'd love to see population decline on planet Earth, I could accept global population growth if global leaders articulated (and put into practice) a vision for human expansion 'off-planet' (let the 'human virus' grow :))
We didn't quite get there with government funded space exploration efforts, but now it appears there is some potential with private enterprise taking over in space exploration. Ahh. maybe the moon and Mars our next home!?
That's exciting for future generations (possibly?).
One of the great disappointments IMO is, after the moon landing in 1969 we humans let the ball slip, and never really progressed with human expansion in our solar system.

Hoyks

Don’t actually do this. You will die from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Not in my shed.

No walls;)

I agree with Colle, the big step to the moon was followed up with some pretty impressive low earth orbit science, but it has hardly captured the imagination of the great unwashed masses.

Last edited:

Albynsw

Looking at the images
I agree with Colle, the big step to the moon was followed up with some pretty impressive low earth orbit science, but it has hardly captured the imagination of the great unwashed masses.

Not surprising when you look at the moon footage, it ain’t exactly the Kimberley is it? Not to mention the gear you have to wear to be there :p

peterfermtech

"Here am I floating 'round my tin can
Far above the moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do"

And you reckon the AZ has been a hard sell??

discomatt

an annoyance of mine is we arent planning for water levels rising despite knowing their melting...
How do we plan for that??
Maybe do some research on what % of the population lives near the ocean, would be pretty hard to convince them all to move inland.
Might be a better idea not to bury our heads in the sand, look at the facts and reality then take appropriate action and not worry about the cloudy days

cam04

I have an uncle who is a professor of language who has been creating a dictionary of the local Kiribati vernacular for years so the others can translate and teach them new language whenever they are finally displaced by the sea - he’d scoff in your general direction.