Cheapest way to run an Iridium sat phone

TonyF8

Agreed.
I pay $20/month year round for this exact reason.
Haven’t “needed” mine either, but it has come in handy a couple of times.

Last time I used it was on our way to the Vic gathering. It started to rain, and someone remembered reading on Earth that the track ahead would be impassable in the wet.
I just gave the wife a call and got her to find the post on here and then read it to us.
Three minutes at $1/min was a small price to pay for the peace of mind in my book.

To be honest, I actually get a kick out of it when I say, “I’ll just give Jen a call and get her to look it up”, and hear, “there’s no phone reception here” as a response.:p
I have the same thing, peace of mind, tnat I can just grab it, throw it in the 4by and head off.

shanegtr

I just use my telstra sim in my iridium if needed. Yep the calls can be expensive, but I only have it for emergencies anyway so if I need to use it the cost will be the last thing on my mind. However as it sees very little actual use then I dont want to be paying so something I dont use for 99% of the year. Thats the benefit of using the telstra sim - it gets daily use in my normal phone for most of the time

mac_man_luke

I just use my telstra sim in my iridium if needed. Yep the calls can be expensive, but I only have it for emergencies anyway so if I need to use it the cost will be the last thing on my mind. However as it sees very little actual use then I dont want to be paying so something I dont use for 99% of the year. Thats the benefit of using the telstra sim - it gets daily use in my normal phone for most of the time
Yea thats fine as long as you only put the sim in the phone in an emergency - can get $$$$$$ real fast otherwise (with incomings)

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
Thats the benefit of using the telstra sim - it gets daily use in my normal phone for most of the time
Does this mean everyone that has your regular number also has your satphone number?
If so, that sounds like a terrible idea.

I usually look forward to when my regular phone has no service, as it feels like that’s the only time it isn’t ringing.
This is why only a select few people have the number for my satellite phone, and that’s just the way I like it.:)

muffin man

I currently have a dedicated Telstra casual $20 sim and is sometimes used to make calls in the city....to avoid unwanted incoming calls on the sat I simply block my number on all outgoing calls....have done this for years.
I'll never get rid of this thing until Telstra remove it like they have other cheap plans....if they do I'll go back to some other plan.

mac_man_luke

Does this mean everyone that has your regular number also has your satphone number?
If so, that sounds like a terrible idea.

I usually look forward to when my regular phone has no service, as it feels like that’s the only time it isn’t ringing.
This is why only a select few people have the number for my satellite phone, and that’s just the way I like it.:)
Especially with your paying $10+ per min even if they just leave voicemail!

Its not a sat phone but I went with a Garmin InReach Explorer , got a 20% discount offer from eBay so bit the bullet.
$25 a month plan is casual and can be upgraded for a month of heavy useage and downgraded to the cheap plan or placed on hold. Its an iridium network plan so world wide coverage. Great little unit that replaces my GPS and epirb for remote travel , camping, hiking, boating etc. 160 character messages, hotspot to smartphone etc. Its a great bit of kit.