Chat with an offroader from the 60s

Zamunda

A good friend of mine travelled Adelaide to Alice and back in a VW Beetle back in 1961. He had none of the gear we carry today (except for a rope and shovel).

Check out the interview.....

PS - if you like the vid please give it a thumbs up and subscribe if you haven't already. Helps me in growing my channel. Thanks!

waynedeane

Great interview Duncan. Can't wait for the next installment and more about some of the issues that pioneers dealt with, and outback travel before the advent of dedicated 4wd vehicles,

Zamunda

Great interview Duncan. Can't wait for the next installment and more about some of the issues that pioneers dealt with, and outback travel before the advent of dedicated 4wd vehicles,
It is amazing how back in the day they did not have any of the things we carry. Not even if any form of communication. And yet they still travelled far and wide.

Grippy

Great story, reminds me of some of the stuff my Grandpa told me, he grew up in Renmark I think in the 1920's, able to drive across the Murray etc (some sort of buggy they built), then many stories of where he took the Ford Prefect, he carted the family all over South Australia and beyond.
Edit: here's a pic of the damn thing, I inherited his old slides

Last edited:

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Great stuff Duncan. Has inspired me to tell my story which goes back to the early 1950's. I still have lot of the original camping stuff which I might feature in a video. But that for another time and another thread.

Zamunda

Great story, reminds me of some of the stuff my Grandpa told me, he grew up in Renmark I think in the 1920's, able to drive across the Murray etc (some sort of buggy they built), then many stories of where he took the Ford Prefect, he carted the family all over South Australia and beyond.
Edit: here's a pic of the damn thing, I inherited his old slides
Such pics are so invaluable. I love to hear such stories. It is inspiring to learn how they did things back in the day. Thanks for sharing that pic.

Zamunda

Great stuff Duncan. Has inspired me to tell my story which goes back to the early 1950's. I still have lot of the original camping stuff which I might feature in a video. But that for another time and another thread.
any chance I can interview you ?

mikehzz

I had to float my VW Beetle across a few water obstacles in the 70's. :)
The car had pretty good clearance and all the weight on the back wheels so it wasn't bad off road.

CTL

The car had pretty good clearance and all the weight on the back wheels so it wasn't bad off road.
Unlike my Moke which I had to reverse up anything a bit steep. Went anywhere though as it was as light as a feather. Me and my mate could man-handle it if needed.

Zamunda

Unlike my Moke which I had to reverse up anything a bit steep. Went anywhere though as it was as light as a feather. Me and my mate could man-handle it if needed.
LOVED the Mokes. Pitty they can not make such fun cars anymore.