Change background image

Chasing a "click"

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Crashtastic, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Crashtastic

Crashtastic Member

G'day brains trust.

My 70 series has developed a 'click', only audible at low speed (it may be present at high speed, but it stays quiet), and the frequency varies with wheel speed. It seems to be eminating from the front RH hub, and it gets louder the more I turn left. I immideatley though the CV is on the way out, but it happens in 2WD with the hubs in free.

Do the CVs still turn in 2WD free? If not, what else would click that also changes depending on steering anlge? The only thing I can think of is a hub/wheel bearing, and the varying castor depending on steering angle changes the load.

2. Blue_haired_man

Blue_haired_man Well-Known Member

The cvs should only spin if hubs are locked, or if in 4wd.

Have ya done a full hub rebuild? Wheel and kingpin bearings? Incorrect pre load or worn kingpin bearings can result in a bit of play.

Another one to check would be the free wheeling hub and ball joints on drag link/tie rod. The ball joints would usually only make noise when turning the steering wheel though, not with wheel revolutions.

3. darb

darb Well-Known Member

I had a "click" in a hilux that would not abate, was moreso when turning or going over an uneven surface.

Drove me nuts for years. Eventually I mentioned it to my tyre guy when getting new tyres. He actually stuck his apprentice on my bullbar and went driving - diagnosed that a bullbar mount was ever so slightly loose and "creaking" when the chassis flexed a minor amount. Tightened bolt, fixed.

I nearly hugged him.

Spooner likes this.
  4. Crashtastic

Crashtastic Member

I was going to do bearings with my 100K service after a trip to Adelaide, but I might just do them before I go. Hubs were my next target, but it clicks with them locked and unlocked, and they seem to be engaging/disengaging properly. I thought about the kingpins, but the fact that it varies with wheel speed made me hesitant to think they'd be the culprit. I'll give them a look over when I do the bearings though. If I do that I might as well inspect the CVs while I'm at it...

5. Hoyks

Hoyks Well-Known Member

If the free wheeling hubs have been serviced and have too much grease in them, then it can cause them to not fully disengage. I had it with the Auto hubs in my Ni$$an and it was particularly noticeable clicking when driving beside a concrete barrier on the highway.

If the hubs are unlocked and are disengaging, then nothing in the front diff should be turning in 2H. Try locking the hubs and driving in 2H, it will eliminate the hubs as the culprit.

Also try jacking up the wheel, grabbing it top and bottom and see if there is any play that can be traced to worn wheel or king pin bearings.

6. typhoeus

typhoeus Well-Known Member

Also check brake pads, wheel nuts, and even cracks in the disc or rim, and you have just about covered everything it could be

7. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

the cl together looks like a d....I keep thinking this thread says chasing a dick. Carry on. :)

cam04 likes this.
  8. Blue_haired_man

Mate a dirty mind. I would say you have bigger problems, but it is 2018 after all haha

9. darb

darb Well-Known Member

Are you my ex girlfriend? She tripped and fell on some dicks!

10. Blue_haired_man

We may have had the same ex haha

darb likes this.
  11. Choook

Choook Well-Known Member

Ok.... I'm gunna say it cause no one else has. o_O Have you checked the tyre tread for rocks? :eek:

itlldoo likes this.
  12. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Check your wheel nuts.

13. Crashtastic

Crashtastic Member

Bearings and kingpins feel fine. I've checked the hubs, short of pulling them apart they are behaving like they should. My tie rod does need a new grease seal around the nipple, but I really don't think that's the issue.

If I get a chance I'll repack the bearings before I leave just to be on the safe side, if not I'll be pulling the CVs out at the next service to see whats up.

Oh and theres still 5 wheel nuts there.