Change background image

Charcoal Cooking - The only way to cook

Discussion in 'The Pool Room' started by TheLocksmith, Jun 8, 2013.

1. TheLocksmith

TheLocksmith New Member

Here are 3 of my pride of joys. Stopped using gas about 4 years ago and never looked back. After you had a feed form Mallee Root Charcoal you'll see gas as a sterile cooker :)

Attached Files:

2. Dr Duck

Dr Duck New Member

No doubt about it. It can be a bit hard to get charcoal (not to mention the mallee root stuff), but the results are incomparable!

Zoro likes this.
  3. deepop

deepop 4x4 Earth Contributer

Can't disagree with you there.

The obvious advantage to gas is ease and convenience, otherwise - go the charcoal!

4. bluehilux

bluehilux Banned

Looks good :) same principal of my webber basically and food in that is way better than any other method of roasting. I use the heat beads.. What's in the charcoal that's different or are they the same as i have not looked it up yet.

5. TheLocksmith

TheLocksmith New Member

Heat beads are petroleum based and taste like it. That is why the weber cook book tells you to use 6 heats beads etc. As they are manmade they can tell you how long they will burn for etc.

Comparing heat beads to Mallee Root is like saying Laurie Levy shares the same views as NRAA (National Rifle Association of Australia) and supports duck shooting.

6. bluehilux

bluehilux Banned

Well you learn something everyday they say TY.. No malley here but i could use redgum or box ?
    since I help Dad get his wood and he has about 10 tons i will be trying it :)
    i have the old webber style without little baskets so i can move the rail that holds the beads in wider and split the wood and get the fire going properly till it's gone nearly into coals then cook and try it .. i will do this.

Your setup is awesome !!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  7. profoto

profoto New Member

I looked up heat beads and until now had no idea what was in them, they try to tell us it is vegetable matter but with some brown coal.
    Turned me off.
    I know how coke is made and I believe charcoal can/should be made the same way (I think?)
    Wood is placed in a vacuum and heated then gas extracted which leaves charcoal, is this correct or is it the residue from burnt wood.
    I haven't seen charcoal for sale but then I haven't looked for it either.
    May have to investigate and get hold of a kettle or something, at the moment we use a gas Weber Q but one can never have too many BBQ's.
    Cheers and thanks for the insight.

8. bluehilux

bluehilux Banned

well i had a thought.. since i made my new fire drum i'll get a good fire in that early so i can have good diameter wood burning and just when it starts breaking up if i tap it and has chunks i could shovel them into the webber maybe.. well no harm in trying :) as i use box gum saw dust in my smoker and it tastes great
    So it's a good excuse to get out and cut wood in the bush as i've done it all my life up till 95 and i get the added bonus of feeding my vegy soil with those essential minerals.. win win :)

Also i just had another thought based on your design.. I will convert this old bbq i don't use so i can get the fire in that which should be way easier. Any hints ?

Attached Files:

9. profoto

profoto New Member

I used to do a bnit of smoking, mainly oily fish like mullet, I found Ti Tree worked well but also used other mixes like brown sugar, fennel seed and black tea, give it a try, gives a whole new flavour to things with a bit of bite.
    I also lined the smoker with a bit of foil so it could just be thrown out as the sugar sticks to anything.

10. TheLocksmith

TheLocksmith New Member

Charcoal is just burnt wood. Save having to sit around waiting for the flames to die down, it's done for you, so you can just light and cook. Well you have to wait till the charcoal goes from black to white and then your ready.

Mallee Root charcoal is just Mallee Root that has been pre-burnt.

How to Make Charcoal: 5 Steps - wikiHow

If you read the packet of heat beads they say light and walk away for an hour till all the toxic fumes burnt off and the chemical compressed product you brought is burning its own fumes.

Below is their (heat beads) new accessory to make using heat beads more healthier :)

Attached Files:

11. bluehilux

bluehilux Banned

Lol Can you look at my edited post above for thoughts ? as it would be easier to get a fire going and more room.

12. profoto

profoto New Member

Here's a better one....
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. bluehilux

bluehilux Banned

now that's another idea How to Make Charcoal: 5 Steps - wikiHow Have me convinced ! No More BEADS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. TheLocksmith

TheLocksmith New Member

Yep that will work. Only trouble with red gum charcoal is likes to go out all the time.

Out of all charcoal, Mallee Root (Which is more Southern) and Giddgee (Northern) burn and taste the best. Mallee burns around 371 degrees and is the hottest burning charcoal.

15. bluehilux

bluehilux Banned

Ok thanks for the info.. but box coals burn for a long time and so does red gum.. i'm going to clean this and still basically use the grill/plate where they go over the fire and give it a go.
    since i can put the fire in this it will work and much more room :)
    I think you've started the old bbq revival into the mean tasting cooking machine ! Thread

Attached Files:

16. TheLocksmith

TheLocksmith New Member

Just watch out the coals don't fall on the wood frame below. I always go full steel/SS as you'll never come back and find your BBQ on fire.

Best place for spits are CARNZE ENGINEERING - Home

17. bluehilux

bluehilux Banned

the trays full size.. but yes i wont have the fire too close to the edga and only a mall fire.. even if i get the wood going in my drum and transfer it. If it doesn't work out i will look into one of those types in your link.

18. TheLocksmith

TheLocksmith New Member

Profoto lol Very good idea

19. bluehilux

bluehilux Banned

Your idea :) you just gave me a spark :)

as i know how good food is cooked over coals as when we go fishing to eucumbene we use a drum with mesh over it and the flavors awesome.

and if i wanto cheat i'll get dads wireless webber fireproof meat thermometer that will beep inside :)
    and i'll take the tray to a metal place to get one made that is thicker if mine isn't

I had another look.. i can cut a piece of steel mesh i have and it will sit 3" below the plates thus the ash only will drop into the tray 5" below.

20. profoto

profoto New Member

Off topic a little, I used to flog the fly around frying pan but haven't been up there for a few years, how is it at the moment as I wouldn't mind a day or three up there getting amongst a few biggies after dark, later inn the year of course as I'm not a freeze fan.