Changes to Shannons insurance policies .

CaptainBanana

After being in the automotive repair game for years I would never consider AAMI as a choice of insurer

For my then brand new and stock top spec 2016 Mazda 6 I did. Had a little scratch on rear wheel arch and that wheel. 5 times it was sprayed, the last time the whole left hand side and 2 wheels later. It was the wrong colour. It has been soft masked and door jams full of over spray. Clear had shrunk back badly around chrome as they masked and did not remove any fittings. Dirt in clear coat throughout and wheels painted silver even though they are factory black!! After 6 months arguing I took a $12,000 cash settlement! I had no idea they insisted use of capital smart when I signed up, checking reviews afterward showed this is normal quality for their repair centres and right then I decided all my cars, work van and caravan would be insured with choice of repairer insurers only I don't care about premiums.

Last edited:

dno67

For my then brand new and stock top spec 2016 Mazda 6 I did. Had a little scratch on rear wheel arch and that wheel. 5 times it was sprayed, the last time the whole left hand side and 2 wheels later. It was the wrong colour. It has been soft masked and door jams full of over spray. Clear had shrunk back badly around chrome as they masked and did not remove any fittings. Dirt in clear coat throughout and wheels painted silver even though they are factory black!! After 6 months arguing I took a $12,000 cash settlement! I had no idea they insisted use of capital smart when I signed up, checking reviews afterward showed this is normal quality for their repair centres and right then I decided all my car, work van and caravan would be insured with choice of repairer only I don't care about premiums.
Similar expirence with capital smart repairs via another insurer. Damage other parts of the vehicle and refused to repair adjoining damage on another panel. Shit, shit and shit all round, but lve also had a bad run elsewhere. Seems to be the industry standard with insurance claims.

CaptainBanana

this was Shannon’s ?

No sorry that was Racv. The only negative experiences I've had were Racv and AAMI.

With Shannon's I had my caravan destroyed by cyclone Debbie which they settled no fuss and damage to my Triton after the wipers failed at a bad time causing damage to it also settled no problem.

CaptainBanana

Similar expirence with capital smart repairs via another insurer. Damage other parts of the vehicle and refused to repair adjoining damage on another panel. Shit, shit and shit all round, but lve also had a bad run elsewhere. Seems to be the industry standard with insurance claims.

Choice of repairer, I go to high end European auto repairers now, no more generic chain repair franchises.

smitty_r51

A car under 10k is not worth having fully comp full stop IMO
It depends how much you can afford to lose.

My kids first car is worth about 3500, we are paying 800 insurance fully comp. if he writes it off he has $1500 to start his new car budget....lot of $$ to find as a 18 year old.

boobook

No choice of repairer - limited value for modified vehicles, also the only company to ever battle me on a claim (boat) took a year to fight them and had their hand forced by the FSO.

If say not as bad as AAMI who insist you use SMART capital repair centres but far from good for modified cars.

Man oh Man. I stupidly used Smart once, also the recommended by GIO if you don't choose your own repairer. It should be ok I thought.

A smallish dent on the boot. There was also a previous scratch in the same panel about 30 cm away. I asked if they could make sure that was done too.

I took it to SMART, they agreed to do the other scratch no problem.

About 18 hours later I got a call. 'Your car is ready'. What? No, you must have the wrong person, I only took it in yesterday lunchtime. We checked the details and yep it was ready. I thought it took 24+ hours for the paint to dry.

Anyway I got there and it was done. but they did not do the scratch. Seriously? I thought it would be in the blending area for the repair. Nope. They now refused to do it even though agreeing to do it the previous day. After a few calls with GIO from their office and me refusing to sign off the car they agreed to fix it. Another day later I got my car back.

They use water based paint. Unbelievable. Stupid me.

I reconfirmed that I could have choice of repairer with GIO and will always use that in future.

SMART is 50% owned by Suncorp. Owner of AAMI, GIO, Shannons, APIA etc

Last edited:

callmejoe

I just wish that ALL would people insure the vehicles in some shape or form.
If you cannot afford the insurance, you cannot afford the car.

Then sooner people start buying with in there means the quicker this Virus will disappear and @discomatt can get back out on the tracks..;)

discomatt

Maybe, but it's still money in your pocket. Let's say you pay $1200 for the premium and 600 for excess that leaves you $8200.00 that's not nothing.
Are you serous? Going by your calculations you would need a total loss every 6-7 years for it to be of any financial benefit, in over 60 years of car ownership between Liza and I we have had zero total loses.
Maybe the driving standards need to be addressed if you need to claim that often

dno67

My kids first car is worth about 3500, we are paying 800 insurance fully comp. if he writes it off he has $1500 to start his new car budget....lot of $$ to find as a 18 year old.
There is third party providers that will give you something towards another vehicle, but only if your not at fault. So there's still a % of risk to way up, but it's also got to be factored into the amount premium expense saved.
Not for everyone, just putting it out there.

Last edited:

discomatt

So maybe better driver education and training is in order if you are happy to have your son in a 3500 **** box and bet on him writing it off in the next 3 years. I must be a bit simple because none of this logic makes any sense to me

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainBanana

Are you serous? Going by your calculations you would need a total loss every 6-7 years for it to be of any financial benefit, in over 60 years of car ownership between Liza and I we have had zero total loses.
Maybe the driving standards need to be addressed if you need to claim that often

Too many factors to make it a blanket rule. Some people simply couldn't afford a new car in any given week without a lump sum whilst they Can afford monthly insurance premiums.

I grew up in Springvale, I was ass ended 5 times in 5 years - high risk area night make it more viable.

Northerners experience more frequent tropical weather events.

Driving style and use of vehicle could influence the decision making too. It's not black and white.

dno67

So maybe better driver education and training is in order if you are happy to have your son in a 3500 shit box and bet on him writing it off in the next 3 years. I must be a bit simple because none of this logic makes any sense to me
I don't know matt. IMO there some very good buys between 3.5 -10k for a first car, there older and not worth repairing should the worse happen but certainly nothing wrong as reliable cheap transport.

Aaron Schubert

I've found the difference in price between 3rd party and comprehensive to be negligible on cheaper vehicles, so I've always had comprehensive on all of my vehicles regardless of the age.

Aaron

dno67

I've found the difference in price between 3rd party and comprehensive to be negligible on cheaper vehicles, so I've always had comprehensive on all of my vehicles regardless of the age.

Aaron
A lot of that has to do with location, here your looking at about 300 more than 3rd party with fire and theft.