Central Vic (Part Two/Final Report)

BIGCOL

Hi everyone,

This report starts with us having spent the night in Bendigo.

Saturday arrived and we were greeted with a lovely winters Victorian day, we weren’t sure how long the sunny weather would last so as usual I made the most of it by visiting a few more of Bendigo’s historic buildings.

The law courts that are beside the info centre, were built in the early 1890s.

The Town Hall (built in the late 1870s) is famous for it’s ornate decorations which were done by the German artist Otto Waschatz. At the time he was “the man” as he also did similar work on Denmarks Royal Palace.

This is the original Sandhurst Gaol which in time became HM Bendigo Prison, it housed the undesirable from the early 1860s right up until 2006. It is now the Ulumbarra Theatre an aboriginal name that means “Meeting Place”.

The two trees that have been placed outside the entrance are aboriginal scar trees tying the past in with the present.

It was past 9.00am so time to revisit the Sacred Heart Cathedral.

Inside was as spectacular as we had hoped, the early morning light filtering through the many stained glass windows gave the huge interior a feeling of warmth and serenity.

Well that was something else!, one of the reasons why Bendigo has so many beautiful and historic buildings is that it was all based on the wealth derived from the towns goldfields.

There is a plaque at the base of the Poppet that mentioned from the first strike in 1851, 20,667,223 ounces of gold had been produced. That in todays money equates to $36,672,317,460 worth of gold, yes over 36 billion dollars worth!!!!!!!!!

We now left Bendigo to visit a few other places before heading home later that day, we drove north to the town of Rochester to see their silo which had been adorned by some art that we hadn’t seen previously. This first one is of a Squirrel (Sugar) Glider, the second is an Azure Kingfisher painted in it’s preferred habitat.

Combined they make an impressive picture adorning what would have been a pretty bland looking couple of silos, now they are a brilliant piece of art attracting visitors from far and wide.

Before leaving Rochester we stopped to admire the towns Shire Hall, then it was on to our next destination, the silos at Devenish

The silos here show a World War I nurse and a modern-day combat medic, a recognition of the war efforts of women and the local Devenish community to the war effort over the years.

We ducked into the local pub for some scones and a cuppa to dodge a rain shower. The pub (which was built in 1874) had a number of historic photos on it’s walls as well as a lovely fire which helped us thaw out on what was a cool Winters day!!

Out side the sun now shone brightly.

When photographing these (or most silos for that matter) it is important to try and time your visit so the direction of the sun doesn’t effect your shooting. We didn’t have that option this day but a partly overcast sky helped with our first shots of it. Here is a pic to show you how the sun washed out part of the nurses face, when it did come out.

BIGCOL

As we drove north through St James towards our next destination of Tungamah, I noticed in my rear vision mirror this scene behind us.

Interestingly that silo in the last pic is earmarked for some art work which will help create a silo trail similar to the one in the western district of Vic. (Which now has been completed)

A rural scene ahead of us with that storm approaching from our rear, and then a bit further on a sight that a lot of farmers across Australia were praying for at that time.

When we arrived at Tungamah we had to wait a bit for the weather to improve so I could photograph the silo. I caught this rainbow over Boosey Creek which flows through town.

This was the local courthouse built in 1889, behind it was the old lockup!

With the improved weather we now headed to the towns silo.

When a lot of people visit this site, they don’t realise that at the rear of them another mural has been painted.

As we were about to leave Tungamah, we spotted a lovely old car out side the local pub.

Beautifully restored, we strolled around it admiring it from all quarters when all of a sudden the owner pops out from the pub calling out “have a sit in it if ya like” so Jen hops in (probably enjoying memories of her youth!!!!!)

Don’t make them like that any more (thank god), we thanked the owner who was very proud of his car. The sun then lit up the pub so another pic was in the can, so to speak.

Our next stop was Katamatite, just as well it was a tad cool for a swim, other wise this report may not have been written!!

From there we headed directly west to Numurkah where we turned left down to Wunghnu. The local silo helps you with the pronunciation of the towns name.

The sun broke through and lit up the old Mechanics Institute building, now a popular restaurant.

As we drove south towards Sheparton, storm clouds were hi lighted by a setting sun which had us stopping numerous times to witness some dramatic scenes.

And then a bit further on, looking back to where we had just come from.

And then one more stop before we headed into Shep for tea.

After tea it was heads down and bums up as we drove back to Melbourne, what a day. From when I arrived in Bendigo and took my first pic of that old historic timber church, till when I took that last photo I have just shown you, just over 26 hours had passed. When I look back on it now we certainly had crammed a bit in, seeing some stunning sights and scenes.

What an experience, wouldn’t be dead for quids.

Regards from Col.

dno67

More awesome pics col. It's a shame it get so hot out that way during summer, as the quieter rural lifestyle is very appealing..
Thanks for sharing, it makes winter feel a little warmer. Iol

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Nice. The old buildings are so magnificent, not like today's.
St James brings back memories of where my missus Rosemary, grew up. Her mum grew up in Tungamah and her Dad grew up in Stewarton and then they moved into St. James. Her dad Leo Corboy (1st left back row) and his siblings Matt Corboy ( 2nd left back row) and Kate (5th left front row) went to Stewarton primary school with Sir Weary Dunlop ( 4th left back row).
Pic taken out of a book called "Weary---- the life of Sir Weary Dunlop".

scan0013a.jpg

Albynsw

Thanks for posting Col love your work, the old Rover is a beauty
There is something about old cars that makes people smile, when I drive my old Willy’s you can see people’s faces light up and you get waves and toots............don’t get that reaction from any of my other cars.

Cheers

greysrigging

That's a nice part of Victoria.... I used to play a bit of footy for Dookie in the Tungamah League, and some cricket in the district too.
My father was an Instructor at Dookie Agricultural College 1952-1974. He was a mad keen photographer, and I have over 2000 color slides of our time in the district. These ones are of Mt Major, the hills between the town of Dookie and the College, taken in about 1956.
1555445_808140559202715_1516381904_n.jpg
40043890_2287425544607535_3061000969698410496_n.jpg