Change background image

Central Australia Railway road

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by mighty, Apr 14, 2018.

1. mighty

mighty Member

hi,
    Any info driving along the Central Australia Railway on the way to Coober Pedy?
    We are coming South from Goog's track and we want to take a shortcut from Tarcoola to Coober Pedy along the Central Autralia Railway and than East before the Anne Beadell Highway.
    I've read few info about the road being closed to the public but the info were a bit dated.
    Cheers

2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Road by the rail tracks is a private road, need permission from the rail company if possible but it is also through the woomera exclusion zone so need permits for that too if possible. I know we looked at it for one trip, seemed possible but we left it too late.

80lover96gxl likes this.
  3. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

There is no question that the road from the top of Googs, 8km west of Malbooma station, heading east to Kingoonya and Glendambo is a public road. You can head north at Kingoonya.

The track North that follows the Railway to Alice does go through private property.

4. mighty

mighty Member

I was thinking to head north of Tarcoola via Ealbara Outsation, Bulgunnia to Sturt Highway. Anyone knows if the road is open to public or I need permits to cross crossing pastoralist areas?

5. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

I reckon you will need permission from the stations and a permit to go through the woomera prohibited area