CDF11

Batts88

The Waeco has died after only 5yrs bit disappointing but apparently some Waco's have issues replaced the thermister a couple of yrs ago but played up again recently tried another thermister no good seen local electrical mob it's not the control board he said they block up in the gas line etc cost more to fix than what it's worth and said he thrown 6 -8 stuffed one's away for customers. He suggested to buy a Brass Monkey 3yr warranty so I did see how it goes as I have limited room between the seats so not many options. Easy to fit no tie down straps needed for my set up I have a timber base already in place just screw down the supplied plastic base plate and the fridges feet slide in and lock in place found that handy so a bit of thought put into it from the manufacturer. The lid has a slow close function but seem to be held closed by a magnet I might be wrong hope it doesn't bounce off road any way time will tell if it's better than the waeco.

Last edited:

Triton14

Which model BM is it??
Is it one of the same models that is the same as the Oztrail's with the LG compressor?

CaptainBanana

I think someone here has actually gone through the brass monkey manual and it suggests that it is basically and not to be used on any angle except flat, might be worth checking that just in case that's true.

CaptainBanana

I think someone here has actually gone through the brass monkey manual and it suggests that it is basically not to be used on any angle except flat, might be worth checking that just in case that's true.

boobook

IMHO it is very simple. If it doesn't have a SECOP ( Danfoss) compressor then don't buy it unless.

1)It is a second fringe
2)You never intend to go away for 3 - 4 days at a time

The one exception is Engels, but not if you go to hot climates, put it near where you are sleeping, you listen to HF or AM radio or you expect reasonably priced repairs.

Just IMHO.

Albynsw

What about the LG compressor? They are a reputable company so they might be ok?
@boobook I recently hired a 4WD in Darwin with a new Engel fridge and whilst it did the job fine I did find it noisy compared to my Bushman and Waeco

Batts88

I think someone here has actually gone through the brass monkey manual and it suggests that it is basically not to be used on any angle except flat, might be worth checking that just in case that's true.
Yeah I know they're probably not ideal they say up to 5 deg constant and only 30 minutes for bigger angles but not paying $900 for a 15 Ltr Bushman that will fit unless lotto is good to me.

Last edited:

boobook

What about the LG compressor? They are a reputable company so they might be ok?
@boobook I recently hired a 4WD in Darwin with a new Engel fridge and whilst it did the job fine I did find it noisy compared to my Bushman and Waeco

When I upgraded mine last time ( about 2018 from memory) The NL was still more expensive, so I looked around, I went to a fridge mechanic to ask their view. The one I went to was in Springvale, and repair all brands. Been in business for years and great reputation. I think I got his details from here or EO. He said that the LG one had issues was difficult to get parts for, but every fridge mechanic could repair a Danfoss ( sepcop) and parts were cheap, and quick to get. That was a few years ago and may have changed. That was good advice IMHO if you want to get it repaired anywhere. He also said that Engel is a nightmare to repair, costing a fortune. It doesn't matter what the fault is, you need a part thats about $400 from memory.

Oh he said stay away from all the new Chinese ones. Or just throw them away when they break. They are virtually unfixable.

I ended up with the NL again.

Last edited:

Batts88

Up date Brass Monkey gone and refunded works well when the car is sitting still at home but faults when driving had it in twice to be looked at. I have given it a fair chance to work trying it in the 4 lighter sockets in the cab 2 factory in dash and 2 Narva I fitted and also an anderson plug I have behind the seat, tried another power cord all the outlets work fine.

So now I'm trying the Kings 15Ltr console fridge must say the fan is pretty noisy but if the fridge doesn't fail I will swap the fan for a super quiet Noctua when out of warranty. If the fridge doesn't make it till then a Bushman will be next on the list.

I wish Evakool made a console fridge with a manual thermostat like my 17yr old RF47 then I would have something I can rely on. Oh well time will tell if I need to reactivate this thread.

Last edited:

Bru9

It really does seem like fridges nowadays are getting worse and even the good brands are mostly throwaway. The line between quality and mediocre is just getting blurred imo like so many appliances.

phs

When I upgraded mine last time ( about 2018 from memory) The NL was still more expensive, so I looked around, I went to a fridge mechanic to ask their view. The one I went to was in Springvale, and repair all brands. Been in business for years and great reputation. I think I got his details from here or EO. He said that the LG one had issues was difficult to get parts for, but every fridge mechanic could repair a Danfoss ( sepcop) and parts were cheap, and quick to get. That was a few years ago and may have changed. That was good advice IMHO if you want to get it repaired anywhere. He also said that Engel is a nightmare to repair, costing a fortune. It doesn't matter what the fault is, you need a part thats about $400 from memory.

Oh he said stay away from all the new Chinese ones. Or just throw them away when they break. They are virtually unfixable.

I ended up with the NL again.
Not too sure how many Engels every need to be repaired

not trying to stir the pot but never heard of one braking down

Albynsw

Not too sure how many Engels every need to be repaired

not trying to stir the pot but never heard of one braking down

Speaking to an independent repair centre and he said he sees just as many Engels as the other brands. He said the current Engels are not what they used to be and the old gold ones were the unbreakable ones.
My mates 60 litre Engel died on him during the first week of a 6 week Kimberley trip. He had to buy a new identical one in a little country town as no other fridge would fit in his drawer and then had his original one repaired under warranty on his return
He then sold the spare one on eBay

Reactions: phs

phs

Fair enough Alby

Most of the guys in our 4wd club run Engels never had an issue, me personally have had myn for 10 years been to hell and back lived on the back of my Ute exposed to the elements touring TAS and SA flawless

Batts88

Like most things these days they just keep adding more electricial items and there not of the same quality they use to be.

Albynsw

Fair enough Alby

Most of the guys in our 4wd club run Engels never had an issue, me personally have had myn for 10 years been to hell and back lived on the back of my Ute exposed to the elements touring TAS and SA flawless

A bit like vehicles I guess, some have a trouble free run others not so lucky

Batts88

It's a power hungry little fridge drawing 3.25 amps just if anyone else is silly enough to try one like me.

Attachments

• 20210826_102724.jpg
    20210826_102724.jpg
    982 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Batts88

So the 15ltr power hungry Kings has had a good run over the past week on a trip no problems yet found it needs to be set on 0 deg if you like nice cold drinks when travelling all good so far.

McGinnis

All I can say is I have 2 Engels and 2 Waecos. Neither Engel has ever had a problem, both Waecos have had problems. The CF80 had a bad power lead from the factory. The CFX60 board was shorting on another internal component, which apparently was a design defect.

I know which I'd trust if I was going well out back.

Batts88

That't why I have an Evakool RF47 as a main fridge/freezer it's also reliable and just keeps working the smaller one is mainly for drinks between the front seats.

Considering Waeco have been around for a long time you'd expect they would be something you can buy that will still be running in 20yrs time but like most companies the are willing to skimp on quality electronics. Even Evakool make cheap crap labelled for themselves or other companies like Waeco does just to keep the money rolling in where if they set their standard high and stick to it they would get a better name in the long term.