Caves to Caves 25-27th October19

Hoyks

For about 20 years now I've been wanting to do the Wombeyan to Jenolan Caves trip, but something has always come up.
For the past 2 1/2 years I've been working in Newcastle, but again, its always been a I'll do it next month type thing, then it got cold or I had to go away for work, or my fridge stopped working...

Anyway, I'm biting the bullet, buying a new engel and doing it this year before I move back to Qld and end up never going.

[EDIT] Had to go with a date change. I was thinking of doing the trip in reverse as I now have to be in Wagga on the Monday, but from each end its about the same distance, so going with plan A.

My grand (vague) plan is to meet at Wombeyan Caves camp ground on Friday evening, have a look at the caves Saturday morning and drive to Yerranderie to camp. Sunday to Jenolan Caves and bomb burst for home from there.

Right now I'm looking at 25-27 October because hopefully by then it may have warmed up a bit.

Route will be something like this, but I'll hopefully find more info on what is open and whats not beforehand. I'm under the impression that its a reasonably well worn trail, so what could possibly go wrong?

https://goo.gl/maps/uan8fypTMszDktDZA

Last edited:

Toddyh

Easy enough drive and 100% recommend the trip in to Yerranderie. Top spot. It is a long way though. Surprised us when we went just how long it took. You will want some time to walk around the area for a look too.

old parthy

To be fair..... Yes its a big trip when its a group ...I've done the trip twice ,
Found the trip was better when we did do a over night stay over at Yerranderie ( old silver mining town). Then doing it all in one day.
Theres two ways in to wombeyan caves 1st, , going via Goulburn is a far better way... than 2nd via Mittagong... yes its a little longer on the map... but better roads and quicker In the past we have had Wombeyan caves as our last stop. good camp grounds with showers and things.
... Well thats what i thought..
Also beware , they will close the main track between the caves if its rains. its clay, and steep near the river crossing... if you could call it a water crossing .. both times it was no more then 1 meter deep.

Last edited:

Hoyks

Sorry I've been neglecting this, but had to go away with work.

Anyone thinking of coming along? My planned day off has fallen over, so probably won't be getting to Wonbeyan Caves until around 6pm.

smitty_r51

There is a fire currently burning near Wombeyan caves, may pay to check it doesn't affect your plans

Hoyks

Well, that plan's knackered then.
Since no one else was keen, I thought I would head off today, but woke up to this:

The Severe Weather Warning for damaging winds has been revised to include further parts of the #Hunter as well as the #CentralCoast and #Metropolitan regions.

Damaging winds averaging 60-70km/h with peak gusts in excess of 90km/h are expected today.

And paired with a severe fire danger, it would be less than plesant and could get ugly in a hurry.

old parthy

Sorry to hear you didn't get the chance to go... But the chance's are the main 4x4 track that links the caves could be closed due to the rain
With out looking i think the water crossing if you could call it that is called dingo dells ( sorry i just cant remember) and the track is a steep clay climb out.

billolga

Sorry to hear you didn't get the chance to go... But the chance's are the main 4x4 track that links the caves could be closed due to the rain
With out looking i think the water crossing if you could call it that is called dingo dells ( sorry i just cant remember) and the track is a steep clay climb out.
You can go around Dingo Dell.