• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Catherine hill bay

Ocambil

Going to check out this place for a rock fishing / camping weekend if anyones keen to join us , theres only 2 vehicles atm , leaving next friday arvo and back sunday lunch.

mikehzz

I was up there in June and couldn't really find any tracks in. It seems like developers have blocked off everywhere. Admittedly, I'm a loser who doesn't know the area at all. I was trying to find the tracks that Tyler Thompson was doing on Youtube.

D

Deleted member 69390

Hmmmm Catherine Hill Bay is a town, you dont need tracks in or out as there are sealed roads ;)

Ocambil

I was up there in June and couldn't really find any tracks in. It seems like developers have blocked off everywhere. Admittedly, I'm a loser who doesn't know the area at all. I was trying to find the tracks that Tyler Thompson was doing on Youtube.
I've been told to go in via mine camp rd , if it closed off i guess we'll just hit blacksmith beach and camp there.

mikehzz

They've really wrecked Blacksmiths now. No dune access and just a straight stretch of chopped up beach. At least you can camp but I'll not bother again.

Ocambil

Yeah i no we camped up there last weekend , despite no dune access still had a good time with great company, a raging fire and a few beverages

D

Deleted member 69390

The videos ive watched are completely off road , but thanks for your input.

I live nearby - Mine Camp is just a track off Fowlers Drive into the town. The area north of the bay is National Park and most access is blocked and to the south you have Frazer Recreational area - open but is restrictive. Across the highway to the west and south of Nords Wharf you have Wallarah which accesssible. You said you are going to Catherine Hill bay which is now beach side suburbia with new housing subdivisions - some surrounding areas are still open but most closed.

Blacksmiths/Redhead is well to the north across the channel and is open as long as you have a permit.

On the good old days you could offroad from Caves Beach through Catherine Hill Bay, through Fraser Park and down to Norah head but not any more.

Batts88

I'm surprised all the tracks around there aren't fenced off these days being from Newcastle I use to surf and fish, spearfish occasionally at Cattho from the mid 80's till late 90's they stopped access into Moonee beach at the southern end of town I think around 1989 or so hope they have it open these days as well.

Use to surf at the southern end of Samari as well and you could follow tracks through Tomaree National Park and come out at Fingal Bay but they stopped that a long time ago.

Last edited:

nitrobrent

I'm surprised all the tracks around there aren't fenced off these days being from Newcastle I use to surf and fish, spearfish occasionally at Cattho from the mid 80's till late 90's they stopped access into Moonee beach at the southern end of town I think around 1989 or so hope they have it open these days as well.

Use to surf at the southern end of Samari as well and you could follow tracks through Tomaree National Park and come out at Fingal Bay but they stopped that a long time ago.
From what I've heard ,they are all closed.
Something about a deal with the developer and the NPs.
So if your caught in there , your in the shit.

mikehzz

Hey champ , thanks for the heads up , i was just going off the video that Tyler Thomas shot 4 months ago , im guessing they've closed off those access points since then ?
Possibly not, I saw some cars in the distance down near a beach north of CHB, but I'd given up trying to find where the tracks start by that stage.

barnsey062

From what I've heard ,they are all closed.
Something about a deal with the developer and the NPs.
So if your caught in there , your in the shit.
I used to fish all around catho in the 90's got lots of great snapper all around catho, there were lots of great places you could drive right to the edge of the rocks & fish, one spot we went to often was about 1k north of catho, you could drive in & over the headland right down onto the rocks until all of that land from there right up to caves beach was sold to the Chinese in the mid 90's & all the access tracks were gated & locked although you could still walk in to that spot from catho cemetry along the beach around the headland after the closures, another good spot for snapper was on the south side of the jetty, you could drive right down beside the mine & park within sight of your car with a short walk to the rocks.
catho jetty.jpg

the best spot which was closed after being sold was to the north of the beach around the headland.
catho north.jpg

I moved away in 2007 so haven't been there in years now so not sure what its like these days, its probably all closed off now.
i have some great videos from the area when we used to fish there, i haven't got around to putting them on youtube as yet but might get around to it soon, this is my old troopy after driving down onto the rocks around the other side of the north headland,
my old troopy 012.png

my old troopy 015.png

my old troopy 008.png

sorry about the quality, i took these pics with my phone from the video on the tv a few years back, i really need to copy the video and put it on youtube lol
these were typical size of the snapper we used to get there, all caught on ganghooks and pilchard tails.
snapper.jpg

This thred sparked some great memories from back in the day :) snaper point just a bit further south was also great fishing as well as wybung head, one thing to remember when fishing along these areas is to never take your eyes off the water, even on a calm day & particularly at night the seas can be dead flat & out of nowhere a wave will crash down on top of you landing you in the ocean as we found out one night, luckily the next wave washed the three of us back up onto the rocks albeit we lost all of our fishing gear to the ocean but were lucky to get out alive, there have been many lives lost in these areas over the years due to freak waves so remember to always watch the water even if it seems calm while you are there,

Here is an old news article from 2014, no doubt more lives have been lost in these areas since this article was published.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/14-die-on-deadly-threekilometre-stretch-of-central-coast-20140429-zr13p.html

Last edited:

Ocambil

I used to fish all around catho in the 90's got lots of great snapper all around catho, there were lots of great places you could drive right to the edge of the rocks & fish, one spot we went to often was about 1k north of catho, you could drive in & over the headland right down onto the rocks until all of that land from there right up to caves beach was sold to the Chinese in the mid 90's & all the access tracks were gated & locked although you could still walk in to that spot from catho cemetry along the beach around the headland after the closures, another good spot for snapper was on the south side of the jetty, you could drive right down beside the mine & park within sight of your car with a short walk to the rocks.
View attachment 63446
the best spot which was closed after being sold was to the north of the beach around the headland.
View attachment 63447
I moved away in 2007 so haven't been there in years now so not sure what its like these days, its probably all closed off now.
i have some great videos from the area when we used to fish there, i haven't got around to putting them on youtube as yet but might get around to it soon, this is my old troopy after driving down onto the rocks around the other side of the north headland,
View attachment 63448
View attachment 63450
View attachment 63451
sorry about the quality, i took these pics with my phone from the video on the tv a few years back, i really need to copy the video and put it on youtube lol
these were typical size of the snapper we used to get there, all caught on ganghooks and pilchard tails.
View attachment 63452
This thred sparked some great memories from back in the day :) snaper point just a bit further south was also great fishing as well as wybung head, one thing to remember when fishing along these areas is to never take your eyes off the water, even on a calm day & particularly at night the seas can be dead flat & out of nowhere a wave will crash down on top of you landing you in the ocean as we found out one night, luckily the next wave washed the three of us back up onto the rocks albeit we lost all of our fishing gear to the ocean but were lucky to get out alive, there have been many lives lost in these areas over the years due to freak waves so remember to always watch the water even if it seems calm while you are there,

Here is an old news article from 2014, no doubt more lives have been lost in these areas since this article was published.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/14-die-on-deadly-threekilometre-stretch-of-central-coast-20140429-zr13p.html
Cheers m8 nice read

03hilux

Just a heads up. A local ranger that visits work said the surrounding bush land ( wallarah np, moonee beach trail ) is a no go area, and sign posted as such. Authorities will be ramping up patrols to issue fines to all vehicles, registered or not.