Catch cans aint Catch cans

Well done another 2000km and just inspected catch can. I got 18ml from catch can. But also had oil in the outlet of the catch can and all the way down the outlet hose. I cleaned all oil from the outlet and outlet hose last inspection 2000km ago.
It should be clean mate. The catch can will be getting some of it, and letting the rest pass through.

Just inspected our Rangers intake after 120,000kms of the Provent 200 being fitted. Thought I would run a can of Liqui Moly Decarb through it whilst Im there. Intake all the way up to the EGR was spotless and dry. Minimal soot build up around the EGR and the intake below. Minimal disassembly and just one can through it since I already bought it. Very happy with the Provent as its the first time I have inspected after fitting and it is doing what it should do.
Good to hear. In another month Western Filters are releasing a new mounting kit for the Provent 200 to fit into my model Dmax. I'll be putting that in and removing the HPD. There's not much room under the bonnet of my vehicle, so they have had to be fairly inventive with the way it mounts.

Aaron

All diesels have an EGR system.
Euro 5 compliant diesels have an additional DPF.
Euro 6 complianant diesels have additional DEF injection.
One does not replace the other. It is cummulative in 99% of vehicles.
Tink
All newer diesels have egr, the 1hz has nothing. That's the only positive lol

Petunia

All newer diesels have egr, the 1hz has nothing. That's the only positive lol
Thank the Baby Cheeses for that, I was searching for one on mine took me 3 hours to determine there was no connection between the exhaust and the intake manifolds, even removed the valve cover to see if it went across the head?

Tink

Sorry, should have said all “modern” diesels have an EGR system. The sooner the government taxes the old oil burners into extinction, and off the roads, like Europe is doing already, the better Australia will be for it. My grandchildren, when my kids are old enough to breed, will thank them for it.
Tink

Petunia

2002, while being 17 years old, has no EGR or DPF carp, yet is Electronic and I for the life of me can not get it to throw soot, the 2.8 Towing up Peachester, no one could see anything for soot. Must wind the Dee-sell up again.

Hotdog

I brought a flashlube catch can for my 76 cruiser and the inlet hose is about 20-30mm too short.
Would there be any issues cutting the pipe in half and place a steel tube spacer to make it that little bit longer.
The tube I think is chrome plated curtain rod that fits snugly inside the hose.

I brought a flashlube catch can for my 76 cruiser and the inlet hose is about 20-30mm too short.
Would there be any issues cutting the pipe in half and place a steel tube spacer to make it that little bit longer.
The tube I think is chrome plated curtain rod that fits snugly inside the hose.
I don't think there would be a problem mate. As long as there is no restriction all will be good

Jaye

Certainly bucks the trend. Couple of things to think about.

Just cos they say its true is it? To me it doesn't look like a catch can was fitted.
There may be a malfunction.
Our 160,000km PX2 Ranger with genuine provent doesn't even look close to that.
Was it a copy Provent?
This tuning company has a vested interest in another product they sell (remapping)

Weather catch cans work or EGR delete, bypass, remap is the best way to deal with this build up. At least a quality catch can with pressure release valve wont do any harm and wont make your vehicle unroadworthy. The fines are bad enough now but the future will see a huge crackdown on emission tampering. They (HWP, RMS) would have the tech to have a portable (just like breath tester) devise they place at you exhaust or plug into your OBD port and tell if the emission control system has been tampered with. It will happen because it will be easy to detect, easy to work and cheap. We all know how the world is turning with emissions and carcinogens in general, it will rule our life.

ERG recirculation plays a big part in lowering combustion temps, which in turn lower exhaust temps and we all know or should know this is the enemy of diesel engines, so it really does puzzle me as a professional why another professional would sell a "product" like EGR delete.
I would not touch these guys with a 10 ft pole. They just see $$$$$ signs.

Colly18

Catch Cans, and 'vegemite' build-up in the intake manifold/system, is a particular interest/passion of mine; probably because I come from a lifelong love affair with petrol-lpg vehicles (?) and have always considered (and still consider) diesels 'dirty'.
Anyway, my experience in the past 5 years is, a catch can will reduce (but not eliminate completely) oil vapour being reintroduced into the intake side of the engine (so some oil is still getting through!). I should add that I have also at times tested partially blanking off the egr.
I have noted recently that a generic catch can on my Colorado with a stainless steel filter appears to have let bugger all oil vapour feed back into the intake side of things (10,000km test). Whether this is also due to using 5W40 oil rather than 5W30 oil is a matter for discussion/determination!
In reality, eliminating the soot side of things by blanking off, (or partially blanking off), the egr is a logical thing to consider; but that is against current laws/regulations.