Catch cans aint Catch cans

Tink

Hmm, different advice to what I got from them when I phoned. Outlet from top. Guess even the manufacturer can’t be consistent. Makes me a bit cranky when I went to the trouble of contacting them and then read the above.
Tink

Sorry for the late reply; been camping for a couple of days.

It is strange that some people catch a lot, and others very little. Overall though, the HPD seems to catch a lot less than the Provent. I made sure that the catch can was installed correctly, to a tee on their instructions with the outlet at the top, but I'm sure I've seen instructions showing the opposite for different models.

I think outlet at the top makes sense, but it might not make much difference. They are just relying on the moisture hitting something, and dropping down into the can rather than continuing on with the air flow

Aaron

Triton14

The thing that pisses me off is the fact that you actually have to fit one at all!!
I mean if manufacturers know what damage this EGR crap does to your engine & they aren't illegal to fit then why aren't they just built into the vehicle as standard :mad:

What a joke really!

Imo I recon all diesel owners should start a class action against whoever is responsible whole BS!(some greeny FW of course!!)

So I have a HPD fitted about 6 mths ago but at the same time also fitted an EGR delete. after 3 months not a drop of oil in the can so either the delet is doing the job OR the can isn't?

My last & only EGR cleanout at 45,000kms cost me $600 so I spent the coin to try to rectifying his.

So what is the issue with the HPD's anyway, why are the evaluated so poorly?

Last edited:
The thing that pisses me off is the fact that you actually have to fit one at all!!
I mean if manufacturers know what damage this EGR crap does to your engine & they aren't illegal to fit then why aren't they just built into the vehicle as standard :mad:

What a joke really!

Imo I recon all diesel owners should start a class action against whoever is responsible whole BS!(some greeny FW of course!!)

So I have a HPD fitted about 6 mths ago but at the same time also fitted an EGR delete. after 3 months not a drop of oil in the can so either the delet is doing the job OR the can isn't?

My last & only EGR cleanout at 45,000kms cost me $600 so I spent the coin to try to rectifying his.

Yeah, it is weird. A lot of trucks do come out with them from the factory.

The EGR delete is different from a catch can; it won't stop any of the oil/fuel/soot/water going back into the intake. All it stops is the exhaust gasses (which have soot in them) going in.

Interestingly, I heard from a mechanic who fitted an EGR blanking plate on an NT Pajero from new, and after 130 thousand odd km the manifold was still terrible. No catch can fitted.

From what I'm told, the issue with the HPD catch cans is that the filtration is not fine enough. It goes through 4 sets of mesh on the in and out, with around a 0.5 - 0.8mm aperture. Compare that to a Provent, which goes through a very fine fibrous filter. The stainless mesh is great in the fact that it doesn't need replacing, but if it doesn't catch as much of the oil as possible then that's kind of null and void

Aaron

Spooner

I think I get your drift. I suppose you have no rust issues in the chassis either? ;)
Not yet it's all good so far , No chassis rust and heading really soon to the 250k engine klm's mark at 6 years old with no issues .
All std fair as it came out of the showroom , engine & exhaust wise . no Mods , just drive it and get it serviced every 10k.

dirvine

Having a diesel Landrover, I thought I would install one but it seems very hard to find one for a D3/4 or infact many people who have installed one. It seems that for a LR people do a remap and shut of some sort of valve and that fixes all the problems. If thats the case for a LR why it is not the same senario for other brands? I dont want gunk to build up but I am also not sure what is the best outcome for a LR

Spooner

I dont want gunk to build up but I am also not sure what is the best outcome for a LR
I would not worry about it mate , It will not help your re sale value at all having one fitted.
Same applies to any 4x4 these days lol.
The modern day equivalent of a Commodore & Falcon lol.
Dime a dozen.
my C-15 550hp Cat doesn't even have one .
I don't get it , why are people so obsessed with catching oil & water particles in an Aftermarket Trap ??
So they can feel better about spending the money on one ? and share the experience with others ?
To me its like people getting sucked into running Premium Fuels etc to keep you engine healthy ;)

Cokedaddy216

What a joke really!

You cannot fit a catch can to the current hilux 2.4 l diesel
It has some sort of steel pipe thingy on the tappet cover outlet , so there ya go :oops:

I would not worry about it mate , It will not help your re sale value at all having one fitted.
Dime a dozen.
I don't get it , why are people so obsessed with catching oil & water particles in an Aftermarket Trap ??
So they can feel better about spending the money on one ? and share the experience with others ?
To me its like people getting sucked into running Premium Fuels etc to keep you engine healthy ;)
The build up in the intake causes all sorts of problems, one of which is excess fuel consumption and therefore worse fuel range. It's a long term thing, but a catch can is preventative maintenance to reduce the chance of this happening. Using more fuel due to restricted air flow also costs you quite a bit of money. Removing the manifold and cleaning it all out isn't cheap either.

I have heard from a few people that they've had clean intakes with a quality catch can after a substantial period, so they do make a big difference.

A lot of different diesel motors have these as standard.

If you were turning vehicles over regularly then yep, it wouldn't matter too much for you. I plan on keeping the Dmax for at least 10 years.

Aaron

Dime a dozen.
Your c15 vent goes straight on the ground!

Triton14

The build up in the intake causes all sorts of problems, one of which is excess fuel consumption and therefore worse fuel range. It's a long term thing, but a catch can is preventative maintenance to reduce the chance of this happening. Using more fuel due to restricted air flow also costs you quite a bit of money. Removing the manifold and cleaning it all out isn't cheap either.

I have heard from a few people that they've had clean intakes with a quality catch can after a substantial period, so they do make a big difference.

A lot of different diesel motors have these as standard.

If you were turning vehicles over regularly then yep, it wouldn't matter too much for you. I plan on keeping the Dmax for at least 10 years.

Aaron
Not to mention crap lower end & poor pick up.

I found before my clean out in my MY14 Triton that if a was in the low rev range it just wouldn't get going, when I got it back it was a different story. quick pick up from 1000rpm

My mate has an older Navara & he has never had an issue, never fitted a CC & doesn't ever recall having to or being charges for an intake clean. I I know he would hit the roof if he was told he had to spend $6-700 extra at service time, he's done like 300,000k's.

You would also think HPD would address their CC issue if they knew it was performing badly, I mean for that coin you want it to be perfect!!

Im going to see if I can fit some finer filters?

Not to mention crap lower end & poor pick up.

I found before my clean out in my MY14 Triton that if a was in the low rev range it just wouldn't get going, when I got it back it was a different story. quick pick up from 1000rpm

My mate has an older Navara & he has never had an issue, never fitted a CC & doesn't ever recall having to or being charges for an intake clean. I I know he would hit the roof if he was told he had to spend $6-700 extra at service time, he's done like 300,000k's.

You would also think HPD would address their CC issue if they knew it was performing badly, I mean for that coin you want it to be perfect!!

Im going to see if I can fit some finer filters?
That should be fairly easy to do - you just need to find someone who sells stainless woven mesh and cut it to size. I would be wary of restricting the flow too much though

Aaron

Triton14

To add to the thread, I went to visit a mate on the weekend & he has a HDP CC on his V8 cruiser & we were talking about the whole ERG thing.
Anyway I asked how often he checks/empties his & he responded every 3 months.
Pull his dip stick & black oil is just over an inch up the rod, so it looks like its doing its job.

I have had mine in for 4 months so we check mine & not one drop.
I guess I have to put this down to the Munji EGR delete which I fitted at the same time, looks like its doing exactly what it is supposed to!

Jackolux

To add to the thread, I went to visit a mate on the weekend & he has a HDP CC on his V8 cruiser & we were talking about the whole ERG thing.
Anyway I asked how often he checks/empties his & he responded every 3 months.
Pull his dip stick & black oil is just over an inch up the rod, so it looks like its doing its job.

I have had mine in for 4 months so we check mine & not one drop.
I guess I have to put this down to the Munji EGR delete which I fitted at the same time, looks like its doing exactly what it is supposed to!
The EGR delete and a Catch Can do completely different jobs the EGR delete will make no difference to what goes through the CC.
Pull the outlet hose from the CC and see if it's wet with oil .

Triton14

The EGR delete and a Catch Can do completely different jobs the EGR delete will make no difference to what goes through the CC.
Pull the outlet hose from the CC and see if it's wet with oil .
I understand they are 2 different things but from what I have read the delete will reduce the amount of oil but to what % I don't know.

I will have to check those hoses for sure!

phs

I understand they are 2 different things but from what I have read the delete will reduce the amount of oil but to what % I don't know.

I will have to check those hoses for sure!
Interesting theory
Any info on how the EGR reduces crankcase gases

Also interesting you do not have 1 drip of oil in the can seems really odd

As for the HPD CAN Inlet - outlet
I had the same problem one instruction showed the top hose as the inlet the other showed it as the outlet

I used the top connection as the inlet

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
With EGR system vehicles, the EGR and PCV are 2 totally different systems, but they work together to create the mid to longer term problem of tarred up inlet manifolds.
Both the EGR particulates and the PCV oil mist meet in the intake, mix, and over time can severely restrict the intake ports.

Taking out one is enough to stop the tar, but then doing both has advantages for power / econ, and not having MAP sensor in the intake get oily.

You only have to look at a MAP sensor to see just how bad an intake can get tarred up . . .

P4173452.JPG

P4173453.JPG

P4173454.JPG

P4173455.JPG

P4173456.JPG

This was before fitting catch can, which was at only ~ 50,000km.

I have done a bit of research on HPD catch cans. I have fitted one on my 1HZ with no oil being caught. I spoke to my supplier and after I looked at his, it was catching a lot of oil on the Amarok. Noticing also I had my Inlet and outlet opposite to how his was set up. I asked the mechanic that set his up and was told to put a smear of oil on the bottom of both filtration screens. Since then, my catch can has been filtering the gasses resulting in fluid in my catch can. Today I dropped into my mates workshop and he had fitted one to a late model Hilux I noticed on that installation that the inlet and outlet were the same set up as I had done on my 1HZ. I then looked at the instructions for the HiLux and could see that it had no written instructions but the pictures showed that the top of the catch can was out and the side of the catch can was in as per my 1HZ.

I hope this is of help to other people with HPD catch cans.