Catch can and fuel water separator

Swaggie

This pict as now
Just stuck it there tight squeeze and do the job for now.
Have read the manual I see Ranger has warning about water in fuel line and can be remove by opening valve under the fuel filter.
My 04 Hilux has the same thing and it’s worked once, but mines not common rail and the third party filters generally have a better micron rating

MrPoopypants

I would have thought that VW had a water separator and water alarm as OEM???
Yeah, but from what I've heard by the time they go off most vehicles are cactus already? Maybe others have experience? My neighbours certainly didn't go off. Not a happy chappy.
My logic is that a second, 2 micron filter will stop anything that gets past the original system, hopefully the oem alarm might also go off by then?
PP

CTL

Maybe there was a fault and that was why it didn’t go off. No experience with the VWs but the water sensors in a couple if other brands seem to be reliable.
Again not familiar with VWs but wouldn’t recommend a secondary filter after the OEM filter as the OEM filters often have a flow restriction alarm which detects a blocked filter, that alarm can’t detect a restriction in a post-OEM filter but will detect a restriction in a pre-OEM filter.

MrPoopypants

Maybe there was a fault and that was why it didn’t go off. No experience with the VWs but the water sensors in a couple if other brands seem to be reliable.
Again not familiar with VWs but wouldn’t recommend a secondary filter after the OEM filter as the OEM filters often have a flow restriction alarm which detects a blocked filter, that alarm can’t detect a restriction in a post-OEM filter but will detect a restriction in a pre-OEM filter.
G'day again CTL
Ahh, that's interesting. First time I've heard about the flow restriction alarm. Most people claim the pump can't keep pressure up through both, which isn't true at all. Mind you, how useful is an alarm to tell you you aren't getting fuel? Or does it indicate a limited flow? I assume it would still show an oem blockage, just not the post filter? Also, do you know if that restriction alarm is the same thing as the water alarm? Crikey I might have to read the manual!

I'm just about to get a service and will get the catch can filter and post filter changed as well. Western Filters and Fuel Manager seem pretty adamant the post is the better idea and they supply a LOT of diesel filters. My reasoning is that not only does it back up the original system (the Ranger forum has a few posts of people having problems with the OEM system) but the micron size in the secondary filter is much much lower than a pre-filter and much more likely to catch stuff. I've done 40,000ks with it and seems fine, so far.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a chat to guys in the 4x4 shop I use when I take it in.
Cheers
PP

CTL

The flow restriction alarm is to warn you to change the filter if it is blocking up with crud. For example, Isuzu states in their service manual to only change the fuel filter when the dash light comes on, not every so many kms.
It will not warn you about a restriction between the OEM filter and the engine. So if your 2 micron filter between OEM and engine starts to block up, your engine will start to starve of fuel and there is no early way of determining this.
Sorry for the wrong terminology but when I said alarm I was not referring to an audible beeping but to an illuminated dash light.
Western Filter, Donaldson, Dieselcare and several others just fit Stanadyne Fuel Manager filters, or their own rebranded Stanadyne filter, they don’t manufacture them. Stanadyne recommend fitting a second filter as a pre-filter. See link