Carry an extra can of beer...

Egalitarian

Here's a tip for Grand Cherokee owners for the 2012 model and possibly later models.
I was way outback, stopped for lunch. Wife getting lunch sorted, while I cleaned the bugs off the windscreen.
Back aboard after lunch, pushed the start button. "DING" warning light flashes, engine won't start.
Check the handbook. It tells me the Jeep is out of an essential fluid.
Oil? Nope. Gearbox? Auto trans? Radiator fluid? Nope. nothing obvious. The last fluid I'd used was the windscreen spray. Yes, it was almost empty.
Filled it and the Jeep started like a dream.
A few people could get caught outback with this problem, and unless I'd got the the handbook I would never have suspected that a vehicle would fail to start because the windscreen washer reservoir was empty.
I reported it to Jeep, and as usual, got ZERO feedback, no thanks, just no response. Very poor PR by the Jeep dealership.

So just carry some spare fluid with you - a can of beer will do - but don't waste it. Drink it first and wait a while.......!

smitty_r51

Please tell me you are kidding

I thought it bad enough when my pathfinder wouldn't start because the brake light fuse had blown... But to prevent a car starting for a non essential is ridiculous...And not to mention potentially lethal!

Hope jeep sort it... I doubt it given Nissan just told me to carry a spare Fuse

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
It's actually illegal to drive a vehicle with an empty washer bottle. Possibly their reasoning for it. Safety side is you drive off, window gets mud splashed on it, you can't see, no water in bottle so can't wash it off. Potential crash avoided if you're forced to keep it topped up...

Pro's and con's, someone made a decision based on that judgement. A lot of these types of things in modern/up market models. Work colleague, their Volkswagen (I think that was the brand) wouldn't start as one tyre was under pressure, not flat, just a bit low.

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
It's actually illegal to drive a vehicle with an empty washer bottle. Possibly their reasoning for it. Safety side is you drive off, window gets mud splashed on it, you can't see, no water in bottle so can't wash it off. Potential crash avoided if you're forced to keep it topped up...

Pro's and con's, someone made a decision based on that judgement. A lot of these types of things in modern/up market models. Work colleague, their Volkswagen (I think that was the brand) wouldn't start as one tyre was under pressure, not flat, just a bit low.
I can see a thriving business popping up in creating "hacks" to get around or kill these thoughtful additions, or a law suit :D

smitty_r51

Least with mine i could over ride the system by using the key... It didn't require the brake pedal to be pressed so didn't care the lights were not on... Illegal yes... But at least i could get somewhere to fix the problem!

Any option to use a key on the Jeep and by pass the button start?

discomatt

Oh yeah, of course they wouldn't.
Its all good though because the engine will still work but only in limp home mode so it can be driven to a dealer so they can charge $989.99 for more indicator fluid and stork bleed then another 499.00 for a plug in and full re boot and your on your way again. A bargin really when you think about it

80lover96gxl

Its all good though because the engine will still work but only in limp home mode so it can be driven to a dealer so they can charge $989.99 for more indicator fluid and stork bleed then another 499.00 for a plug in and full re boot and your on your way again. A bargin really when you think about it
They will no doubt wanna change the muffler bearings while their at it so more charges there I would expect.

oldlux

What happens if your blinker fluid runs low ????
I think that will mean they will be on the blink? In that case you will have to go straight to the dealer, don't deviate off the direct heading and to make matters worse the supercheep stuff doesn't work it make the situation worse and still costs an arm and a leg to try, I did.

80lover96gxl

I think that will mean they will be on the blink? In that case you will have to go straight to the dealer, don't deviate off the direct heading and to make matters worse the supercheep stuff doesn't work it make the situation worse and still costs an arm and a leg to try, I did.
You mean this stuff mate?
IMG_109531791529879.jpeg

Hewy54

Blinker fluid sort of worked in my 80 series, but not all the time. When I topped it up they worked, then off, then on, then off.............
May need to grease the globes.