Petunia

Probably ran out of fuel and all 25 passengers had to walk home

1 driver .....
Capture2.JPG

9 passengers ....
Capture.JPG

2 still unaccounted for ?

phs

Now kings make a camper trailer there will be hundreds of them dumped all over the place once they start falling apart

Chatty

Is scraping a car a better option than repairing when you wreck it?
It depends on the amount of damage and where it is. Sometimes you don't even have to wreck a car to get more value by scrapping it. My NS Pajero blew an engine (timing chain failed) - I put a recon engine in and sold it, but overall I would have been better off financially by stripping it and selling the parts off - I would have made a lot more money.

Chatty

On Groote Eylandt the locals would drive a vehicle till it stopped and then just abandon it wherever it stopped - quite often in the middle of the road. It made driving a bit of a lottery as it wasn't unusual to come round a corner and find a LC or similar just parked up in the middle of the road.
Eventually a few of the locals would come out, push it off to the side and strip it.

callmejoe

On Groote Eylandt the locals would drive a vehicle till it stopped and then just abandon it wherever it stopped - quite often in the middle of the road. It made driving a bit of a lottery as it wasn't unusual to come round a corner and find a LC or similar just parked up in the middle of the road.
Eventually a few of the locals would come out, push it off to the side and strip it.

And whats changed ?

discomatt

Years ago I used to buy and sell a lot of cars, came across a LC in the trading post, add stated all parts available complete car and very cheap.
I rang the wrecker that had it and chatted to him on why all parts and why so cheap, he said its stuffed the Aboriginals had it provided by white man taxes. I thought well its only 3 years old how bad can it be, I will come over and have a look.
OMG I have never seen anything like it, absolutely destroyed from abuse and neglect. If thats the way they treat stuff my tax pays for give the buggers nothing I say

discomatt

I now hear the whole of the Kakadu is to be handed over to them to manage, oh great if its not totally locked up with massive fees to visit it will be a miracle

Chatty

Years ago I used to buy and sell a lot of cars, came across a LC in the trading post, add stated all parts available complete car and very cheap.
I rang the wrecker that had it and chatted to him on why all parts and why so cheap, he said its stuffed the Aboriginals had it provided by white man taxes. I thought well its only 3 years old how bad can it be, I will come over and have a look.
OMG I have never seen anything like it, absolutely destroyed from abuse and neglect. If thats the way they treat stuff my tax pays for give the buggers nothing I say
Matt, that's pretty standard across the country - drive them until they stop and then just leave them there.
Regular service. What's that?
Topping up the oil. Who? What?

discomatt

Yeah but it wasn’t just servicing that had been missed, any new car will continue to run for 5 years without a service but this thing was destroyed inside and out and every component trashed in 3 years

linuxfan66

now im wondering how reapairable those abandoned cars are. especially given some of them are starting to get rare.

Chatty

now im wondering how reapairable those abandoned cars are. especially given some of them are starting to get rare.
I'd reckon you would get one complete one out of maybe 4 wrecks.
But, there would be a lot of rust to be treated and the engines would need a complete rebuild.

discomatt

Depends on what you define as repairable, will it run will it stop then maybe repairable.
Do you want everything to work every day as the manufacturer designed it and would you put loved ones in it ( not just your dog) then no not repairable.
The one I looked at years ago, mentioned in a previous post was certainly not in any way shape or form a viable repair job and thats from someone with there own panel shop with all the skills to do the work