Caring for you 4x4 - Pin-striping

KDA

Gday Guys,

After an afternoon out bush last weekend, i washed off the mud and found i had some decent pin-striping due to a small section of track.

I love my 4x4 and its only 14 months old and its starting to show its use, and i try to take care of it especially being a new ute.

So whats the best way to remove these unslighty pin-stripes and restore it to showroom shine? (the scratches dont seem to be to bad, maybe just the top/clear coat)

Besides avoiding going off road, is there a good way at reducing the amount of scratches? or is it simply the beginning of the end of it looking like new?

Last edited by a moderator:

goldrush

They all start out looking good but if you use it offroad then sooner or later it's going to start to look a bit second hand. I find that the best way to keep the old rig looking good is to take a few extra steps backwards before taking any pics of it.

croozza

Try using a good polish first to get the scratches out.
I found that if you give the 4B a good polish before you go wheeling, this will stop 90% of the scratches, yes it sounds strange to wash and polish your 4B and then go out and get it dirty, but it does work, If you do manage to get a scratch, it comes out alot easier too, there were a few times when I didn't do this and both times I ended up with scratches down the side of the vehicle which wont come out.

Walkabout

I find 95% polish out very easy with a light polish (not cut) so as I go wheeling a fair bit I just leave them there for 3 to 6 months then polish a heap out all at once.
This way my clear coat should last the distance.

LowLux

Just buff em out and keep it clean. If your worried about the paint, maybe every so often get another clear put on.

BGH

you will get a few more Joel going 4wding.......... thats part of life and a 4wdriver :D

cut and buff mate will fix it ;)

BGH

redback

The darker the car, the harder it is to buff out and if you here that squeal, nothing will buff that out:eek:

Baz.

98GU

I used to worry about it but in the end I gave up. All you can do is try to buff it to the best of your ability and keep enjoying the driving.

If you are really conscientous (sp?) you could talk to a good detailer. Won't be cheap though.

Blue one

4wd

Scrub

That is what they are used for.

Scratches are part of driving in the bush. Make sure you never hit a Roo in full flight.

Cheers

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
If you take it off road then accept that it is going to get some chatacter about it.

The sooner you learn to stop worrying about it the better you'll enjoy it

my worse damage was done in a Shopping Centre carpark by some low life that didn't bother to leave any details so I now aviod those buggers like the plague:D

KDA

Thanx for all the input guys,

usually after a few trips i get the ute washed and polished, just this time looks to be more work to do. But a detailer looked at the work id done and quoted $200 for about 5hrs to clean it up.

I am slowly but surely coming around to the idea that it is a 4x4, it does go off road...regularly its not going to look the best in due time.

Well im not going to stop going off road because im hooked on it, so will have to grin and bear it it then polish and repeat.

P.s BGH i was more calm then josie was when she say my handywork. lol

dickyknee62

A good polish gets them out. But if theyre deep a cut and polish then.
BUSH PIN STRIPES ADDS CHARACTER.
dont let a scratch deter you from your passion.
glenn

BGH

Thanx for all the input guys,

usually after a few trips i get the ute washed and polished, just this time looks to be more work to do. But a detailer looked at the work id done and quoted $200 for about 5hrs to clean it up.

I am slowly but surely coming around to the idea that it is a 4x4, it does go off road...regularly its not going to look the best in due time.

Well im not going to stop going off road because im hooked on it, so will have to grin and bear it it then polish and repeat.

P.s BGH i was more calm then josie was when she say my handywork. lol

lmao Joel.......... i just had this funny feeling she would have torn strips off you.

i think you might have to look for a cheap zook to go 4wding and leave the nissan at home.....safer and you live longer with the missus :eek:

BGH

Grey Ghost

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
I originally thought you wanted to know where to get some good bush pin striping but then I read the whole thread, don't worry my wife says the same things to me after we take her GU out... :)