Cargo Barriers

Jacked Surf

Cargo Barriers - Scrapped Not Going To Run One.

Rear Cargo Cage.

Hi i have a quick question on the rear cargo barriers.

Currently i am modifying a 60 series cargo barrier to suit my toyota surf. i have chopped the sides off and welded new box tube into the areas where the outer tube has been removed.

Where do you guys have the top brackets mounted to on your 4x4's.

Are the Rear Seat Belt Bolts in the C Pillar, a strong enough location to mount the upper cargo barrier brakets. as the surf doesn't seem to have any other mounting locations .

Otherwise would i need to make a long peice of metal to go to the rear most tie down bolts that are located on the floor.

Edit - Idea Scrapped. not going to run one now.

Last edited:

LowLux

G'day Simon. Might want to be carefull with what your doing because cargo barriers are a must with Aust Standards and can void an insurance policy if home made or modified.

Jacked Surf

Ok, if the law states i can't modify one to suit. I guess i will have to go without one then. As my rear drawer/box system takes up the majority of the space where the 4runner types fit.

Was trying to prevent anything flying from the boot into my head on the O'Tools Trip.

The 60series fits perfectly in the gap with only a little modification.
as it shapes around the box and fits in the gap between the box & rear seats.

rodw

The 60series fits perfectly in the gap with only a little modification.
as it shapes around the box and fits in the gap between the box & rear seats.

I wont tell anybody, you are probably safer with one than not even if it is modified. I know of people who have died waearing a tool box in the back of the head...

croozza

Rear Cargo Cage.

Hi i have a quick question on the rear cargo barriers.

Currently i am modifying a 60 series cargo barrier to suit my toyota surf. i have chopped the sides off and welded new box tube into the areas where the outer tube has been removed.

Where do you guys have the top brackets mounted to on your 4x4's.

Are the Rear Seat Belt Bolts in the C Pillar, a strong enough location to mount the upper cargo barrier brakets. as the surf doesn't seem to have any other mounting locations .

Otherwise would i need to make a long peice of metal to go to the rear most tie down bolts that are located on the floor.

You have done what!!!!!!!
You do know that they must comply with ADR regulations, any modification to the cargo barrier means you now have an unroadworthy vehicle, stop what you are doing and buy one that is designed for your vehicle, before you kill someone!

teza h

HI jackedsurf the one in my prado is mounted to the bolt holes that were for the rear seats that have been taken out. The brackets are extended from the bolt holes to where the barrier needs to be, the brackets are made from flat bar about 40mm wide and bent to suit,hope this helps.

Jacked Surf

Don't worry guys.. Not going to run one now. Fell Into the Too Hard Basket...

To many people with great ideas, but no idea as to the fact that an off the shelf ADR complied unit will not fit with the rest of the drawers and gear in my surf.

Can't be stuffed with all the legal BS. Even though i can jump up and down on the cage and it is 5times stronger then it was originally.

Will just use the modified cage as a large ramp for the 1100's bike trailer now, It is that strong. :D

So instead of worrying about the Law.

Albeit, i hear the police over in Mexico shoot first and ask questions later.

I am going to just put everything for the trip in the back and hope it doesn't hit me in the head in the event of something bad happening. Got some rope netting hopefully that will work somewhat, will tie it off as best it can be and be done with it.

Last edited:

croozza

It is just like any thing now days mate, you can make something better but because you may not have the correct qualifications it makes it illegel.

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
I run a Land Rover cargo barrier in my patrol. I only had to built 2 new top mounts and it fits nicely. The bottom mounts had to go through the floor so I had to treat the steel and plate it.

To easy! The barrier only cost me $100, 8 years ago mind you!