Car stolen at panel beater who won't pay

typhoeus

I'm sure a shonky shop like that has sub standard electrical wiring somewhere in it, frayed extension cords, sparky old sanders. Dangerous, they are. Especially with thinners and paint around the place. That bloke should be more careful. I'll put on my tinfoil hat with the boosted antenna and vibe his fusebox.

boobook

I'm sure a shonky shop like that has sub standard electrical wiring somewhere in it, frayed extension cords, sparky old sanders. Dangerous, they are. Especially with thinners and paint around the place. That bloke should be more careful. I'll put on my tinfoil hat with the boosted antenna and vibe his fusebox.
LOL

I reckon you could send a tax employee with a tin foil hat in there too, and he would find lots of dodgy illegal practices. I don't think the guy worries too much about doing the right thing.

boobook

Current Affairs may pay him for the story, so could recoup some of the expenses. The added benefit it getting even with the dodgy car repairer.
I'll pass those thoughts on. But personally I'd stay away from ACA. It smells like a lot of heatache for him especially if it doesn't go to air. I don't watch ACA generally but I have seen a few scenes of them chasing the person up the road and no outcome other than a finger in the air out the window as the person drives off. Great TV, with no financial outcome I think that would be a last resort. He needs to decide what to do in that regard. My advice was to go thought the legal aid route given my Lawyers advice.

Last edited:

Batts88

When I worked at TJM over 15yrs ago they had to do away with the old key board and get a secured lock box to put the customers car keys in for insurance reasons. The old key board positioned away from the vehicles seems a bit of an out dated idea for security reasons.

Corndoggy

Now who would want to steal a damaged car. More than likely someone that has the same car that needs parts to do their repairs. Free parts. Maybe the repairer is in on this as well. Am I paranoid or just thinking there could be something fishy going on?

Albynsw

Now who would want to steal a damaged car. More than likely someone that has the same car that needs parts to do their repairs. Free parts. Maybe the repairer is in on this as well. Am I paranoid or just thinking there could be something fishy going on?

Agree, you would pinch a straight one unless you are chasing parts
Every chance the panel beater does have insurance and just saying he doesn’t to save his premium increases and hopes the kid just goes away

boobook

I agree, actully the whole thing is dodgy.

CTL

Agree, you would pinch a straight one unless you are chasing parts
Every chance the panel beater does have insurance and just saying he doesn’t to save his premium increases and hopes the kid just goes away
See reply #7

typhoeus

I think the guy is scum, but have no reason to believe he was involved. The cops may look into that.
I think He is indirectly involved and responsible because he failed to adequately insure the vehicle against loss and theft, , and failed to secure the vehicle, against theft. His failure led to the opportunity for the thieves to act. So he is at least partly responsible.

boobook

I think He is indirectly involved and responsible because he failed to adequately insure the vehicle against loss and theft, , and failed to secure the vehicle, against theft. His failure led to the opportunity for the thieves to act. So he is at least partly responsible.
For sure Typheous. Thats similar to what the Lawyer said in a way.

My guess is that he's just a lousy businessperson who cuts corners, not worrying about the consequences for his customers.

I'd hazard a guess that his panel work is just as sloppy too, but I've never seen his repairs.

As a follow-up, Legal Aid said he should go through Consumer Affairs as his first point of contact. That sounds like a massive run around, as usual for the government. My experiences with Consumer affairs were all futile.

Hoyks

3rd party, fire & THEFT.
  1. Make a statement to the police.
  2. Contact insurance company and make a claim for a stolen vehicle.
  3. Probably worth talking to a solicitor.
Its what he pays the premium for. Even if it was dropped off willingly at the repairer, repairer still has a duty of care and if they can't produce the vehicle, then its stolen.

Last edited: