Car Code reader suggestions

ryn

Does anyone have a cheap car code reader suggestion for a 13 colorado?

There are heaps on ebay im just no sure if they are adequate. Any experience here would be great

cheers

A Scangauge will do it for you, allow you to clear fault codes plus keep an eye on a lot of other stuff.
One of the most useful things i have ever bought.
Keith

ryn

Thats an expensive little reader although it does look interesting.

There are topdon dongles with a iphone app. Has anyone tried these?

I'd get an ultra gauge - pretty much the same as a scan gauge but with a much nicer display.

If you want cheap cheap, there are plenty of bluetooth ones available that can be read by various apps

Aaron

ryn

Thanks.

Do these tools only bring up fault codes, or do they also monitor Scan Tool Data Parameters.

Im trying to diagnose a particular fault, ive got the workshop manual so i know exactly what to watch, i am just not sure what tools i can use to watch them.

these aren't faults, they are more operating information for want of a term.

Tink

Nah, just codes.
Be cautious of the bluetooth dongles. Read of a couple of guys who were getting feedback into their ECM from them and causing limp modes.
Tink

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Can read codes and clear them.
I think that’s all the op wanted to do ?

Gauges for most important engine functions and fuel use programming etc.

The scan gauge and ultra gauge can clear codes and read everything the ECU has access too.

Highly rate the ultra gauge. Not super cheap, but so worth it. I've used mine a few times to identify faults, and its critical for me to monitor engine temp and auto temp

Aaron

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
The scan gauge and ultra gauge can clear codes and read everything the ECU has access to.
Ok, that sounds like just what the EDS scan tool does, as linked above in reply #8.

Maybe as Tink suggested you can do a few more things with a scangauge as far as “program in extra sensors” whatever those may be.
I know all the functions for gauge readings on the EDS didn’t come up with my connection from Tanger, probably not available through the obd2, or just bit relevant.

Edit. Not sure what a scab it ultra gauge costs, maybe that’s relevant to the op also as he asked for cheap (in cost).

Ok, that sounds like just what the EDS scan tool does, as linked above in reply #8.

Maybe as Tink suggested you can do a few more things with a scangauge as far as “program in extra sensors” whatever those may be.
I know all the functions for gauge readings on the EDS didn’t come up with my connection from Tanger, probably not available through the obd2, or just bit relevant.

Edit. Not sure what a scab it ultra gauge costs, maybe that’s relevant to the op also as he asked for cheap (in cost).
They are about $200 - $250. Certainly not cheap, but sometimes its worth paying more for something that's good.

The extra sensors will be codes outside of what comes standard with the OBD reader. I had to add a code in for the automatic transmission. A lot of newer vehicles have their codes changed so people can't read all of the parameters, until the information is found and shared, and then you can add it in

Aaron

I have used scangauge for years in my collie and it does the job.
as others have said you can program pids into it so it can read more information and you can read out error codes and clear them on the go.

if you are looking to just read error codes you can pretty much use any cheap ebay device with the elm327 chip + bluetooth and a mobile phone.

MrPoopypants

Another one I'm trying to sort out for my truck. Leaning towards Ultragauge but also like the idea of an mx wifi dongle for torque or forscan on my iphone, apparently bluetooth doesn't work on the iphone? Feedback welcome, as long as you don't point and laugh too much. My first ventures into using telephonic devices to work on the automobile. Pretty interesting stuff. My old school mechanics wonders if a cluster of quality gauges might be better, giving coolant temp, oil pressure and oil temp? Also want trans temp but am I missing other vital info for diesels?
Cheers
G.

here is a post I made on another forum a few years ago

I have one of those cheap blue elm readers from ebay and a different one from jaycar and they both read data from the obd port and reset codes.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-V1...roid-Torque-Auto-Scan-Tool-350CM/112435513468
http://www.jaycar.com.au/Automotive-&-Mobile-Security/Car-Alarms,-Protection-&-Accessories/Tracking-Fleet-Monitoring/READER-OBD2-BLUETOOTH-4-0-ENGINE-CODE/p/PP2145

I'm not sure what pc app will work to read codes but some of those ebay elm327 sales come with a small disk with software for pc
you can use a android mobile phone app called torque pro to read and reset codes
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=en

I don't know what you can use with apple phones as I wouldn't touch that junk but I'm sure a google search would find something

I use a scangauge2 in my vehicle it shows realtime data as you drive and can read and reset codes without the need of another device like a phone etc
http://scangauge.com.au/scangauge2/
if you do have a scangauge and want the automatic transmission temperature sensor code it is:

TXD: 07E2221940
RXF: 046205190640
RXD: 3008
MTH: 00010001FFD8

this is how I have my scangauge mounted