Change background image

Cape york

Discussion in 'Trips' started by Ebony, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Ebony

Ebony New Member

Hey all.
    Im planning on doing a working trip around aus (leaving from brisbane) in the coming months but one of the first places im wanting to head to is cape york. And as im gonna be completely on my own for the good part of it i dont want to leave to much to chance.
    Needing to know what kind of upgrades id be needing to make to my rig, and what gear would be essential.
    Ive got a stock standard 2011 colorado 3.0 TD dual cab ute with 160km.
    Only thing ive done to it is add a uhf radio.

I will be investing in a snorkle and running boards, and been recommended to upgrade my suspension and put on rear lockers.

Im not a crazy 4wd'er only been out twice on dirt tracks in the dry(real basic tracks) and once on the beach, and i dont intend on doing the old telegraph track at the moment unless i get some more experience between now and when i leave. But definitly want to try all the 4x4 tracks to get the full experience and not just chicken out and head up the bitumen roads.

Im hoping to avoid having to come back to brisbane to unload once im done so i dont want to have stuff with me i dont absoloutly need.

I dont currently own any recovery gear either. Just an air compressor. I will definitely be buying some maxtrax (probably 2 sets). And snatch straps.

And might invest in a rooftop tent if $ permit.

Last thing i want is to have to turn around because ive stuffed up. Or break my car cause then all my plans go to shit.

Any and all tips would be hugely appreciated.

(Just as long as its not 'dont go alone')

2. TonyF8

TonyF8 Active Member

The Cape is really not that hard, been up 46 times and never had any issues, so my basics would be , lift kit, snorkel and winch, lockers aren't really necessary. Probably look at an aftermarket fuel filter kit as you can occasionally pick up bad fuel and common rails hate it, your standard fuel capacity will be plenty. A good first aid kit, patience and a sense of adventure, if the PDR hasn't been graded, I would definitely go the OTT, as it will be less stress on you and your vehicle, due to some of the best corrogations you will come across, probably one of the most informative things you could get if you can find one, is Ron and Viv Moons Cape York Adventurers Guide, it has all the info you will need, but hard to get hold of now, but a little persistence will probably pay off. I also have a facebook page To the Cape York tip and back, which posts regular road and weather info, also info on the past, present and future of the Cape.

3. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Hi Ebony
    Unless you are particularly wanting a locker I would save the coin for other things ( like a RTT) A RTT can make you feel more secure up off the ground from all the nasties and you get better veltilation
    As Tonyf8 said it is not that difficult bar a couple of places and water crossings if they are deep. If you don't feel comfortable doing the OTT there are still a few easy access tracks from the main road to get to some of the track highlights like FruitBat and Elliot Falls.
    I would invest in a set of decent All terrain tyres if you don't already have them. The Maxtrax are a good idea to carry as well
    I don't know what you have planned but a good route out of the cape is to start heading west just south of Branwell Junction and head across the Gulf country to Normanton and on to Lawn Hill. We did that last November and it was a magic run

Basically if you are set up for the rest of your trip you will be fine up Cape York.

80lover96gxl, Ebony and mikehzz like this.
  4. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

I had you model car for 6 years. They are transformed with some decent suspension. A set of decent all terrain tyres goes well too. 245 75 16 is a good match for the running gear. Not much else is needed on the Isuzu based rc Colorado. They go forever. Some off road driver training is essential if you haven't done any. Enjoy the trip.

Ebony likes this.
  5. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Number one on my list would be a good set of AT tyres. I wouldn't bother with the locker either. If you are doing a lot of outback I would have a tyre repair kit and an extra spare, use the best of your current tyres off the rim, it's lighter to carry. I've found that the extra's you bolt on are usually the first things to fall off out there. :)

Mr Rum and Ebony like this.
  6. Ebony

Ebony New Member

Thanks!
    Thanks tonyf8 ill look for that page.
    Ive currently got AT tyres on it. 245 70 16
    Ill definitely be taking a RTT now, had an offer from a friend if i havent purchased my own i can use theres.
    Okay well i might skip the lockers unless ive got extra cash to splurge and look into a decent winch instead. Thatd probablg be a bit more handy getting myself unstuck.

Would you recommend i get a 2nd spare tyre?

7. Ebony

Ebony New Member

Yeah ill be taking advantage of the tracks in the brisbane region over the next few months to give me some experience in 4x4, the little bit ive done so far is almost just basic dirt road with some bumps. Mostly just duck creek in beaudesert.

8. TonyF8

TonyF8 Active Member

Well you can, or to save space and weight, you can just take a tube. Ive had a tear in the sidewall and repaired it with a tube and a thick magazine, your not going to be doing any fantastic speeds with that repair, but it will get you to somewhere for a replacement. A 12 volt compressor would come in handy for airing tyres back up aif you have had to let them down for a bit more traction. Tyres and all things mechanical are readily available up the Cape.

Ebony likes this.
  9. Albynsw

I don't bother with a second spare on those type of trips, you are not remote enough to warrant it but I would get someone to show you how to plug a tyre if you can or at the least carry a kit so a fellow traveller can assist you with it. A tube is a good idea as Tony suggested.

richardlnsw and Ebony like this.
  10. muc the truck

muc the truck Well-Known Member

The rear LSD in the Colorado is brilliant . If your at all worried about getting a wheel in the air and loosing traction buy a front locker not a rear . Do the CREB TRACK , DO NOT DRIVE HOME UNLESS YOU HAVE .

richardlnsw and Ebony like this.
  11. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

I'd suggest a second battery , whether its under the bonnet or a battery box and a fridge . I'd then start looking at the southeast part of your trip and make sure you have warm clothes and bedding .

12. 89gqpatrol4x4

89gqpatrol4x4 Active Member

Good AT tyres
    Good suspension
    Winch
    Recovery kit
    Radio
    Beer
    Beer
    And maybe some beer!!!!;)

Scrap the locker, not needed,
    One spare is ample, just leave for your big adventure on fresh tyres.
    You can do all bar the tyres pretty cheap and invest the left over in camping gear. Fridge, lights etc
    I'm not a big fan of RTT as every time you want to go some where you have to pack up your house! I like swags personally, but it's up to you. Most of all have s blast mate!!!

Ebony and Bomber2012 like this.
  13. Ebony

Ebony New Member

Does anyone know what kind of suspension upgrade id be wanting?
    And regarding the recovery gear and winch would that kinda gear be okay from 4wd supa centre, or am i better off getting it from a better source?

Yeah ive got the same thought about RTT might pack a small swag aswell if space and weight permit.

14. Albynsw

The RTT is good to have up there, my wife prefers it over all our other tent and swag options
    I suggest you also take a small two bow type nylon tent as well that you can use for places that you intend staying for a couple of days or want to reserve your campsite. They are small light and compact to carry so worth having as a backup

Ebony and tankbloke like this.
  15. maddon

maddon Active Member

yeah / dont miss the creb track / we did it and tele track and 5 beaches with a stock d22 and gunshot as well

Ebony likes this.
  16. 89gqpatrol4x4

Suspension wise I would go s 2 inch lift with good quality shocks. You need shocks that can cope with the stresses of corrogations. I would get s big bore or remote res shock.
    Recovery kit go with 4wd super centre. And the winch will be fine. I have a bcf winch and have sure put it through its paces. Used it on the frenchmans track up the Cape. As with any winch just run it in and out a few times once a month. It's up you as far s sleeping arrangements go, but all have fors and against. A swag is bulky but light and your bedding is in there, a instant tent bulky and heavy but has more room, a RTT takes up heaps of room, has a big affect on fuel consumption, you can't leave it at camp but is up high and quite roomy.
    You don't need to create a comp truck, just buy quality suspension, tyres and a bit of body armour and invest the rest in camping gear.
    I would also suggest a awning. We have side and rear, but if doing it again would possibly get a fox wing .

Ebony and Bomber2012 like this.
  17. MyCrazy80

MyCrazy80 Well-Known Member

The creb is a easy but fun track however if it gets even the slightest bit of rain it becomes very challenging as all you do is slide around on the clay as you have no traction.

Ebony likes this.
  18. 89gqpatrol4x4

We missed the creb in 2014 as it was " closed" still on my to do list!

Ebony likes this.
  19. MyCrazy80

MyCrazy80 Well-Known Member

You'll have to do it mate its a fun track just check the weather to make sure its not going to rain when your halfway on the track (what happened to me) and you will have a blast! I'm sure even a GQ should make it! :p:D

Ebony, 80lover96gxl and 89gqpatrol4x4 like this.
  20. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

Mine was a basic suspension job. Is you Colorado styleside or cab chassis from the factory? They came with different rear springs. The front torsion bars are good quality and don't require replacing. A quick wind of approx 20mm over standard and some new shocks completes the front end. Mine had a steel bar and winch and it rode well with that setup. The rears usually get replaced with a higher set and new shocks although the cab chassis springs didn't need it as they were pretty heavy duty anyway and could be reset higher. A roof top tent/awning setup is good for long distance touring. Mine was like that for the desert/central oz trip. Weekends etc not so good - better off with a trailer or a tent. Winches are good cheap insurance these days. Wireless remote is worth having especially if you are on your own. Cost wise, my Aldi winch is now 8 odd years old and has been faultless. It came off the Colorado and is now on the ranger.

Ebony likes this.