Cape York - 2015!

underdog

Ok I'm now starting to buy what I've found (at least on the internet) to be considered 'the usual' spare parts for a trip like this and so far the list looks like this:
-fan/serpentine belt
-engine/trans/diff oil
-brake fluid
-power steering fluid
-radiator and intercooler hoses
-coolant
-stop leak
-steel putty (has helped 2 people so far just on forum trips, haha)

As I've never been on a trip even remotely like this one, I'm definitely open to suggestions! ????

Wang

Ok I'm now starting to buy what I've found (at least on the internet) to be considered 'the usual' spare parts for a trip like this and so far the list looks like this:
-fan/serpentine belt
-engine/trans/diff oil
-brake fluid
-power steering fluid
-radiator and intercooler hoses
-coolant
-stop leak
-steel putty (has helped 2 people so far just on forum trips, haha)

As I've never been on a trip even remotely like this one, I'm definitely open to suggestions! ????

i know everyone does diff/gearbox/transfer breathers but do you know where your fuel tank breather is ?? heard stories of people doin deep water crossings and getting water in the fuel thru the breather.

Jaye

i know everyone does diff/gearbox/transfer breathers but do you know where your fuel tank breather is ?? heard stories of people doin deep water crossings and getting water in the fuel thru the breather.
Often clamped up along or near the filler hose under the guard liner.

Last edited:

Towie

Just some food for thought fella's this would be especially good for some of you who already know each other.

Dont get to worried or concirned with carrying every spare & fluid or you will have a car full of them.
Its not that remote and you have 12 trucks going that's a lot of spares between you and alot of tools so some of you would be best to cut down on the tools, first aid kits etc that way you share some things. We do this every trip to eliminate weight & save space.
Camp ovens or tarps these things are not needed in every vehicle but take up room.

Some of you will have spares that fit other vehicles and if you use them thats cool just buy another one at the next stop. Wiepa - Bamaga - Cooktown - Mossman - Port Douglas etc etc

General Rule - probably bare minimum.
1 x fuel filter
1 x oil filter perhaps two if doing an oil change during the trip.
1 x air filter
Brake fluid - small bottles
1 liter Engine Oil.
Power steering fluid - small bottles
Top & Bottom radiator hoses with some spare clamps.
Fan belt

Other little things like steel putty & wire & fuses etc are incidental everyone has a box of bits n pieces to share around.

bugsy

I knew I'd forgotten something. Will add air and fuel filters to the list. Thanks Chris! How's the new ute going mate?
The new trucks going great mate loving it. Look forward to seeing your new weapon on the Lithgow trip hope your well

coolumbla

i own 2 chainsaw but didn't plan on bringing either

i will have an axe and a bow saw

What are the rules about chainsaws in national parks in Qld anyway?

Russman76

I'm bringing a welder, so no need to double up on one. Anyone bringing a generator?!?

Are you going to the kimberlys for 5 yrs, on your own?????
a service station every 100- 300 km mostly with a full work shop, don't bother mate..

'

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
I will have mine with me.

As will I. It lives permanently on the roofrack.

Guys if you go into a National Park (Daintree / Iron Ranges) with a chainsaw you may fall foul of the Rangers and spoil your holiday - I didn't see any when we were up there in 2009 but now they're making money out of camping spots well they may well be around.

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/pdf/cape-york-vg.pdf

Caring for parks
Please assist the Traditional Owners
and rangers in preserving the natural
and cultural values.
• All plants and animals are protected.
• Do not remove plant material, living or dead.
• Domestic animals are not permitted in
protected areas.
• The use of firearms is prohibited in
protected areas.
The use of chainsaws is not permitted in
protected areas.

I'm bringing a welder, so no need to double up on one. Anyone bringing a generator?!?

Unless your towing a dodgy trailer I wouldn't bother unless it is one of the "Bush Welders" that takes up no room and isn't heavy or your just taxing your 4by power & economy.

Enjoy your trip, it is a fantastic place - BTW We bought a selection of cheeses & cold meats at Seisa Supermarket and had a Cheese Platter at Loyalty Beach. Oh & don't get caught with more alcohol than allowed in your vehicle - It was 1 Carton of Beer & 1 x Cask Wine so we made multiple trips :)

cheers

Hobbsy

[QUOTE
Unless your towing a dodgy trailer I wouldn't bother unless it is one of the "Bush Welders" that takes up no room and isn't heavy or your just taxing your 4by power & economy. QUOTE]

I'm towing a dodgy trailer. Dodgy as in I welded most of it together. The welder is only a baby stick welder that weighs about 4 kg and takes up no more room than half a case of stubbies, if that. I'd rather be able to make a dodgy repair than have to skull drag a trailer 100ks.