Canopies

Collie14

I'm in the market for a canopy. I've had a look around and asked people's opinions on window types and have decided to go for lift Windows as it's easier to access the front of the tub and slide are more prone to playing up in the long run.
One thing that has now popped up in me head is which one should I go for and what and what brands to people recommend. Is the steel ones any good? I will occasionally have the dog in the back so something pet friendly.
If anyone has any good recommendations let me know.
Browsing the net and reading what they have is pretty much all the same but real people using them everyday you get a good review on them. I know some mates have had a heap of water get inside and others have had paint rubbed off on the tailgate.
Thanks
Greg

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Greg,
Agree re value of tilt windows all round for access.
Had a slider right side as recommended by ARB, was a pita until I swapped over for another tilt.

Neg on tilt is if you have an animal in the back little ventilation, esp when hot.
I have the ARB rear top vent, which does pressuise the back and keeps dust out VERY well, also ventilates somewhat.
But it isn't enough for a dog in real terms, where a slider locked 100mm open is pretty good.

Watch some of the fancy very pricey ones, they have tiny height access, very poor for gear removal, nad most importantly fridge access if placed on top of a drawer system.
A drop slide can help that, but could still be an issue on some, or just have a void to the floor for the fridge to fit.
You can get the hi back ones on some for easy fridge access on normal slide, but roof racks can be a pain to get level.

Internal bars and roof bars over support roof rack loads if going that way.

I have an ARB normal height canopy (textured), internal bars, roof bars, tub liner (fitted first), rear vent / pressuiser, tilts all round.
My fridge is in the back area of the cabin behind the front pax seat.

Ashbine

ARB IMHO. I have the same as Les without the vent. Couldn't live without the internal and roof bars. Lift windows are the way forward.
The steel canopies look great but it is the weight of them that put me off. As you well know, every kilo counts!!!!

Ash

Collie14

Thanks for that.
Some prices are just crazy and I wonder to myself what's so special to be that much. i didn't even think about the internal bars so cheers for that :)

mac_man_luke

EGR make nice canopies and quite easy to install.

Was happy with my Aeroklas mostly but had small windows and only 1 lift up.

Aaron Schubert

Windoors are fantastic. If I did a ute though, I'd ditch the tub tray and replace it will a full gull wing canopy that sits on an ally or steel flat tray; so much more practical and better use of space. That said, they aren't cheap either, so what ever suits your purpose

Aaron

Batts88

A pic of the type you're thinking of may help other than that If you're thinking of full steel with windows you may not have your dog for long the heat belts through the roof, side panels, is very hot to touch and windows will only help so much. A metal roof with insulation and canvas or vinyl sides you can roll up would be better for a dog.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Pity it's Melbourne location base.
I like the NT style of open steel mesh rear tub / tray builds, a proper dog cage incorporated for the best care / safety of the animal.
Even a fibreglass canopy will be too hot when stationary for a short time, unless insulated and they are many more $ in cost.

Rojac

A metal roof with insulation and canvas or vinyl sides you can roll up would be better for a dog.

I travel with our two dogs when practical, I have a ute with a metal frame and now a canvas canopy ( had a vinyl one previously), I roll the back flap up and open the small front vent, that provides good ventilation, the canvas is a lot cooler than the vinyl, plus they have water in the back. The only issue with this set up is security, when the dogs aren't there but I have everything locked/attached/bolted.

The other advantage, is I can remove the canvas.

Wannabe4WDer

My canopy was on the ute when I bought it. Has left hand side lift up window, right hand side slide window and also a window in the front for access from the cab (the ML Triton has a power rear window). I also have the air vent on top (although can't attest to the efficacy of these as I haven't been on any dusty roads yet, maybe tomorrow).

My 2c would be to look for one with a single handle and lock on the back and side windows, or if possible there are some which can wire into your central locking. Trust me the most annoying thing for me is always having to lock and unlock to handles to get into the tub. If I could change mine for a central locking compatible lock setup I would. Also consider the roof rack situation. I think most canopy's you can get supports and bars fitted to them but best to check before buying. Also look at the load rating. One other annoying thing I haven't got arround to fixing yet is my interior tub light is wired to the tail lights so can only turn on when the headlights are on.Going to re do this to constant power when I put in a second battery.

fazz

I travel with our two dogs when practical, I have a ute with a metal frame and now a canvas canopy ( had a vinyl one previously), I roll the back flap up and open the small front vent, that provides good ventilation, the canvas is a lot cooler than the vinyl, plus they have water in the back. The only issue with this set up is security, when the dogs aren't there but I have everything locked/attached/bolted.

The other advantage, is I can remove the canvas.
Photo please sir?

Rojac

Photo please sir?
IMG_0635.JPG