Canning Stock Route

CTL

I just found out that Optus has put a mobile hotspot near well 33 on the Canning Stock Route. It's servicing the store at Kunawarritji. So, mobile reception in the boonies.
Great, mobile coverage for 10kms along an 1800 two wheel track :rolleyes: I took, and would recommend taking, a sat phone

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Great news for the Kunawarritja Community, for those of us that run a business going off grid for 2 weeks is a long time so the ability to get emails and respond to issues is important something a Sat Phone is not so good at. Telstra payphone was problematic as you had to ensure you possessed or could get a phonecard from the Store and last time I was there, there was only the 1 Telstra phone. I have found Optus is probably one of the best for remote places.

Would still carry a Sat Phone as well as the HF Radio & Epirb and UHF.

cheers

boobook

Telstra Optus
1659825497966.png
1659825568322.png

Vodafone
1659825660493.png

It seems pretty clear to me. Optus did pick up a lot of black spot communities, but you are not even allowed in many of those.

Last edited:

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
I noticed that the owners of ExploreOz, David & Michelle, sat and did work whilst in Kunawarritja uploading photos, mapping & otherwise taking care of business.

Apparently Optus has spent close to $94million updating coverage in regional areas with Government support of course but has sold a lot of towers to Aus Super

boobook

Apparently Optus has spent close to $94million updating coverage in regional areas with Government support of course but has sold a lot of towers to Aus Super

That is an interseting deal. Cookie.

Optus, which is 100% owned by Singtel. sold their 2000 towers to Axcom, which was owned by Macquarie Bank. Axicom was sold to ATN which is half owned by Australia Super as you say, and ........Singtel.

The money is going around in circles.

Last edited:

Albynsw

How is all this going to fair when Elon’s satellite is up and running giving Australia wide coverage?

stevemc181

How is all this going to fair when Elon’s satellite is up and running giving Australia wide coverage?
Seem we will have multiple choices for remote comms over the coming years.

Starlink is already running for over half the country, with the rest of Australia expected to be covered in Q1 2023.

Telstra have partnered with OneWeb which is another LEO constellation of between 650-2000 satellites.

There will also be the Amazon Kuiper network with 1500+ satellites, and a few more players entering this market, so perhaps we’ll see something at reasonably affordable prices.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
"Currently, users can access the internet using Starlink in the lower half of Australia, with the service set to expand to cover the entire country in the first quarter of 2023.25 May 2022" View attachment 74073

I have recently stopped using Starmesh due to the latency, speed & peak limiting, you can pay to have Starlink portable so you can take it with you when you go camping.

cam04

God forbid the ‘welcome to starlink’ screen in the Subaru might actually mean something in the near future.