Change background image

Canberra Camping areas

Discussion in 'Camping Areas' started by blackout, Apr 3, 2017.

1. blackout

blackout Active Member

Doing some research on the ACT region where I can set up close by to be able to do the tourist thing in Canberra.
    Cotter Campground looks the goods, but is it a tent only area??
    I have a Jayco OB Swan and I do prefer a site and not bitumen. Can anyone confirm this?
    Is there any alternatives if it is?
    Happy to travel up to 1hr.
    We are stopping at Wee Jasper for a few days but that is a 3hr round trip to the CBD.
    We don't need powered sites and prefer to stay out of Caravan Parks if we can help it, unless they have a good "bush" setting.

2. Synchro

Synchro Well-Known Member

At the Cotter you can tent it on the grass but caravans and campers are on bitumen in the camp area. Other than that there are only the cravan parks.

3. madmonk

madmonk Member

4. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

Chris, get onto @smitty_r51 he's been hitting the tracks there exploring quite a lot since moving there.

5. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Yeah cotter is about your only option and it can get busy on weekends.

Caravan parks are at epic, but that is right on the road side

Or the carotel, which is at least quiet and backs onto bushland but it is run down. both are 10 minutes to the cbd though

6. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

Hard to believe options are so limited in the ACT area . . . it may be worth looking at options half an hour out Chris, surely with the surrounding mountains that would open up some more choices.

7. Toddyh

Toddyh Well-Known Member

Kowen Pine Forest is only 20 minutes out of town. You need to arrange access and they will give you the gate code. It's not particularly scenic camping.

Woods Reserve on Corin Road is about 45 mins out of town. It's mostly bollarded but there are a couple of spots suitable for a van.

8. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

If you have some sort of protest flag you can usually camp on the steps of Parliament House :p

Konrad, smitty_r51 and rogerazz like this.
  9. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Mate you can be out in some fantastic camp spots in a couple of hours with an hour of that being in 4 lo but there is nothing that is close enough to jump in and do Canberra really.

10. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

What about Stoney Creek the other side of Queenbeyan on Captian flats road ? Not sure if you can camp in there but it looks nice enough.
    Not far from the cbd and you can go thru Fyshwick to get there ;):p.

11. Decca

Decca Member

There's a nice campground at Mt Clear which is down the bottom of the ACT on the Boboyen road to Adaminaby.
    Reasonable toilets there that even the Mrs would like.
    From the campground there is a good bushwalk to Horse Gully and Demandering huts.
    Horse Gully hut would be the best hut I have come across in my bushwalking.

Attached Files: