Canberra ACT - Brindies Run Sat 20th August

03gallagherj

Hey guys hopefully got a few guys coming for a run up in the brindies.
Stockman, hope you can make this run i think that Llewellyn is coming, fingers crossed he is havent had a wheel with him in a while.

Looking forward to it. Meeting time would most likely be around 8am - 9am (majority vote) and either picadilly circus or stromlo park.

Let me know guys, Jackson

Dave40runner

count me in, I need to do a run for reliability... anyone willing to tow to Nth suburbs of Canberra if It proves not reliable enough? lol. So 8 am at Picadilly?

deanstano

Query

I am interested in going, how long do you think we will be out? All day/half day etc.

I don't have much gear atm still getting setup, slower then I would like too but hey.

Would it be an ok trip to bring kid on, 4 year old? Later Saturday or Sunday would probably suit me better but see how it pans out.

Thanks
Dean

Last edited:

03gallagherj

Well Saturday does suit me best only because i'll be out and about saturday night for a friends 21st..... and a may or may not be in good shape come Sunday morning lol.
So if we go out saturday it would be earlyish and i guess we'd be back around 2? depends on how much fun we're having and how many recoveries are needed haha...

Dave, at this stage yes looks like picadilly around 8, and we can cruise on out from there. How many trails out this way do you know? I may also have about another 3 vehicles coming along with me, see what happens :)

Oh and sure of course your kid is welome Dean :)

Jackson

Last edited:

stockman

what is this !!!! sunday???

I work every Saturday. I could do this Sunday, or if you guys do Saturday we could do the following Sunday.
Like I said earlier, I try get out most Sundays. I know a fair few of the trails and I'm slowly working on a map with easy medium and hard runs.

03gallagherj

I work every Saturday. I could do this Sunday, or if you guys do Saturday we could do the following Sunday.
Like I said earlier, I try get out most Sundays. I know a fair few of the trails and I'm slowly working on a map with easy medium and hard runs.

Fair call mate, well im actually hitting up Bendethera with the Batemans Bay 4x4 Club (im the trip coordinator) you guys would be most welcome to tag along if you'd like we're going to hit up the Wyanbene caves on the saturday (oh right you work sats :\ damn)
Well i think the following week i should be free but not this weekend but next i will be with my 4wd club down in the Bendethera Valley drinking some goodness and doing some caving.

So i was thinking does 8 or 9 at picadilly suit people better this saturday?\

Jackson

Dave40runner

Jackson, ive been up there a few times but nothing more than very mild stuff due to being alone. been up with mates but just to drive through snow. i know how to get to the circus but that's it. lol might take a kid or 2 as well

03gallagherj

Sounds good Dave, i dare say its going to be very very very sloppy up there this weekend. after the past day of rain and now getting into today of rain.

Ok well im almost in the same boat i never have anyone with me and with a non working winch atm im not much chop on a self recovery haha, but i have had a few goes at the powerline trails some arent too bad :)

Jackson

jason12582

i cant make this saturday due being in Sydney for the weekend. But i just scored the Sunday the 27th off work. Im keen to go up then!

03gallagherj

Oh well never mind Jason, I'm sure you'll have a blast next weekend :D should still be a fair bit of water around ;) this weekend looks like just slop :O GET YOUR MUDDIES OUT!!!
Jackson

03gallagherj

Haha i've got one but......... doesnt work :\ blew the solenoid in it placing an order for a new one pretty well tomorrow when i get paid.... but alas wont have it here until a while after. I will confirm but i think the 60 series thats coming has a winch :)

Either way if we get out there and its far too sloppy i dont want to put your vehicles through something you dont want to do and would be more than happy to just cruise around down there and explore the area :) I'm still looking forward to just having a day out in the Mtns to pass the morning to mid afternoon away.

twisty

Hey Jackson,

I'm in, and I’m excited! A Saturday off :)

Stockman :-(

Forgive me if I presume too much Jackson, but, would you be our “trip coordinator”? You started the thread ;-) And please forgive the length of this post. I like to have a plan and it satisfies my anal tendencies.

9am (a bit of a sleep in would be nice :) at Condor Hut/Stromlo on Brindabella Rd (S35 18.776 E148 52.299). Leave home (Tuggeranong) at 8am. I know how to get there and have been up to Mt Ginini recently. I’m also becoming a bit of a GPS geek and would like to map more tracks.

Guys, ya gotta bring the kids! We took our grandson out to Vanitys Crossing last weekend. He splashed in water, bounced on dirt tracks and slept all the way home :D. Aahhh ... to be a kid again ... But I understand not wanting to have to recover your 4x4 with kids stuck in the back. Last weekend Vanitys Crossing was hub height. I suspect impassable now, although I’d like to have a look.

Being BRAND new to 4x4 I'm also cautious and won't try anything that makes me nervous. I’m confident and equipped with basic recovery gear (HR hitch, snatch, chain, shovel, bow shackles, chainsaw, compressor, but no winch (I don’t want to be in a position where I need one)). However, I feel a bit bolder knowing others will be close by.

Closed Ranger gates will dictate our possible routes. Piccadilly Circus (S35 21.535 E148 47.992) is easy and Bulls Head (S35 23.231 E148 48.297) is close to the circus (5km), has toilets, shelter and a park for the kids to run. We could explore from there.

Continuing south on Mount Franklin Rd would take us to the Mount Franklin car park (25km) and then Mount Ginini (another 10km). I’d like to return from Bulls Head via Bendora Rd down to the dam and then Warks Rd past Vanitys Crossing (although I’m prepared to turn around if I get scared).

North of the circus Mount Coree (10km?) also has toilets etc. I wouldn’t try Two Sticks Rd much further than that.

I’ve never been west of the circus (Gentle Annie Trail, McIntyres Hut).

Phew ... now I feel better ...

Last edited:

Dave40runner

actually that sounds like a good plan to me... I'll bring kids and make a full day of it... 8 or 9 either way 'im going lol

stockman

With a couple of cars and a shovel you guys should be fine. Just remember the road is closed from the bottom of Mount Coree down to Two Sticks.
There are a couple of sections of the powerlines that I'd say clear of after this weeks rain unless you have muddies and at least one locker.

twisty

Thanks stockman. No muddies so no chance. It's gunna be a bit slippery I think. I'd be just as happy sticking to the main tracks and log crossroads for later exploration. Whatever happens I intend getting dirty :D

03gallagherj

WHOA!!!! so much happened last night since I logged off hahaha

TWISTY:
Sounds great happy to have you aboard!
Well I love the sound of what you have purposed we do, I'm only fairly new to the area and am just wanting to get out and explore the tracks and have a good time, get my GPS out and map the area as well.
So as far as me being the Co-ordinator, sure :D but hahah maybe you could be sounds like you have some knowledge of the area, the list of places I have been to is
*Mt Coree
*Mcintyres Hut
*Flea Creek
*Gentle Annie
*Webbs Ridge road
*and a few of the powerline tracks just before the Gentle Annie Turnoff

twisty said:
Last weekend Vanitys Crossing was hub height. I suspect impassable now, although I’d like to have a look.
Hmmmmm im interested to go and check this crossing out :p Doesnt seem like it would be passable currently thats for sure!

stockman said:
Just remember the road is closed from the bottom of Mount Coree down to Two Sticks.
There are a couple of sections of the powerlines that I'd say clear of after this weeks rain unless you have muddies and at least one locker.
They close that road too much :\ went up there a few weeks ago and it had been closed probably a day or two before I was up there, but was still easily passable. Also which are these powerline tracks you so speak of :p I know of the few just before you hit Gentle Annie, trying to head up that one in the wet is pretty pretty hard :p drop the pressures to 15-20 and point there 4B at the hill, make it 2M then come sliding backwards haha

Now finally...... 9am at the Condor Hut? Is this what we all agree on?
Jackson

twisty

9am at the Condor Hut +1

Jackson, you've been to more places than me :p , and I'm happy to help ;) What can I do? ah ... perhaps suggest we use UHF28, bring a change of clothes, water and a picnic lunch?

Last edited: