Can tow hitch go up or down or either?

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Mate had his tow hitch up on a previous vehicle for towing his caravan. He now wants it reversed down to get right height on his new vehicle because vehicle tow hitch receiver is lower.
Can a tow hitch go either way or does it need other considerations?
Pic of my hitch fitted downwards. Can I reverse mine if I need to?
20191118_180952.jpg

Hoyks

CaptainBanana

Above is correct, I personally run a mister hitches adjustable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191118_192728_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20191118_192728_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 104

Aaron Schubert

You'd have to liaise with the manufacturer of the bar, and probably the vehicle manufacturer. That said, many people have had confirmation that it is OK to do, thousands of people do it and from an engineering perspective there isn't a huge difference in strength

Aaron

My Toyota towbar of similar design can be setup either way, there are (identical) ratings for both ways on the towbar. Might be a PITA to get it off though :) When I got my Prado the towbar hitch was rusted in and in a bad state. In the end I had to get a new towbar for it from a wreckers.

Karl Fehlauer

I had the same issue - spoke to the dealer who sold me my Campertrailer and he said for my Campertrailer it was okay to reverse it as it was within the weight restrictions. I trust his advice as he has an excellent reputation and has never done the wrong by me.

I now have mine reversed.

Karl

peterfermtech

I would think that the only force that would have an affect on the orientation would be the down weight and as this should only be a couple of hundred kilos max. I can't see how it would make much difference.
regards

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks for your replies.
Now to throw the cat amongst the pigeons.
Doing a bit of research, I found reference to ADR requiring tow balls to be between a certain height off the ground.
If that is the case, then there may be a lot of illegal tow ball heights especially if you reverse tow ball tongue in the hitch and which makes tow ball higher and outside these specs.
I refer to this Federal Gov, site and more particular part of 16.4.1: 50mm ball couplings.
A bloody mine field, any offers??????

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/vsb_01_b.aspx

16.4.1: 50mm Ball Couplings
Ball couplings on towbars are required to be installed so that the height of the centre of the body of the ball coupling is between 350mm and 420mm from the ground when laden (Refer to ADR 62/01). Alternatively, if complying with the requirements of ADR 62/02 the maximum height of the centre of the body of the ball coupling may be increased to 460mm. However, the ball may be installed at any other height, provided it is also capable of being adjusted to at least one height within the 350-460mm range.

Petunia

However, the ball may be installed at any other height, provided it is also capable of being adjusted to at least one height within the 350-460mm range

so? if it can conform to the height, you can put it anywhere you like? some bright spark wrote that?

I used to get hung up through some of the various drainage ditches up the back 40, so I inverted it to stop that, but now the trailor keeps falling off?

towing PROBLEM.JPG