Camping Trailer from written off vehicle?

SirDrinksalott

Having watched some programs on Roof Top Tents and how you have to take them and everything with you during your days activity thus potentially losing your camp spot I though about attaching one to a trailer.

I drive a Hilux Cab, how would I go about getting a front end write off so I could get someone to make me a trailer with a tub the same as mine?

I figure that I could put a rack on that and a RTT and then I have all my camping gear in one trailer which i can leave on camp and go off in the 4x4.

I could also use the canopy, rack etc on my own ute if I need it without a trailer.

SirDrinksalott

Check with a wrecker or gumtree etc or ring around a few tray installers . They usually end up at the tip for scrap.

They look nice but not as practical as a good trailer
Why's that, you dont seem to have many high sided trailers here, UK its rare to get a trailer without walls of 50cm.

Hoyks

Most of the tubs you see going cheap these days are from dual cabs. A dual cab tub isn't a good option for a trailer as the wheel arches are too far forward, so you need to add a big tool box to the front and keep it full of 'stuff' so it all balances out.

A tradesman box trailer with a lid and a set of ladder racks for the RTT is a good basis.

Triton14

Fair bit of work involved plus has to pass for rego obviously so might need an engineers cert?

This version I found on here is quite compact but still weighed in at 520kg, add a tent & other gear & you would be close to the max unbreaked trailer weight.

Some from the net-

Toyasaurus

I think I put this in before.

Mine holds a full size rooftop tent, 2 bikes, camping gear, 40lts water, 150AH battery, 2 jerries.
I think it`s around 550-600kgs.
It does have brakes.
I have towed it up the vic high country 4 times so far without any problems.

001.jpg
DSC_1295.jpg
DSC_1297.jpg