Camping Fridge

RBJET

A word of advise, and this may not be the same for everyone. I have a tall narrow fridge and it is a pain to lift everything out to reach what you need in the bottom.
I try to keep small stuff in containers to make it easier but you can't always help it.
If I were to buy a new fridge I'd go something shorter with a bigger footprint so there is less digging.

Albynsw

Another word of advice regardless of brands
Consider where you are putting it and it’s size but the main thing is whether you want the lid to open from the end or the side

Batts88

After a bit of research is looks like the Ridge Ryder By Evakool Platinum Fridge Freezer - 42 Litre is a bargain. More than $100 cheaper than the waco at Aldi. Thoughts on this?
I looked the Ridge Ryder up power consumption it's very high at 3.75amps. My 16yr old fibreglass Eakool RF47 used around 3.2amps when I bught it new in 2004 I have done some mods over the years to bring it down to around 2.5amps a newer fridge these days should be drawing a less power. Even my neighbors 45ltr Techni ice draws around 1.4amps that's less than half of the Ridge Ryder it's around 6yrs old and it is a cheaper brand but they don't make his style of fridge any more.

I would do some more searching before jumping onto the Ridge Ryder there would be other brands of cheaper fridges that use less power. Power consumption makes a big difference for eg my neighbor can run his for 4 days on a 120ah agm, the battery still isn't down to 50% the Ridge Ryder might get around 2 days at a guese and as the battery gets older this will decrease.

Last edited:
I looked the Ridge Ryder up power consumption it's very high at 3.75amps. My 16yr old fibreglass Eakool RF47 used around 3.2amps when I bught it new in 2004 I have done some mods over the years to bring it down to around 2.5amps a newer fridge these days should be drawing a less power. Even my neighbors 45ltr Techni ice draws around 1.4amps that's less than half of the Ridge Ryder it's around 6yrs old and it is a cheaper brand but they don't make his style of fridge any more.

I would do some more searching before jumping onto the Ridge Ryder there would be other brands of cheaper fridges that use less power. Power consumption makes a big difference for eg my neighbor can run his for 4 days on a 120ah agm, the battery still isn't down to 50% the Ridge Ryder might get around 2 days at a guese and as the battery gets older this will decrease.

Good info, thanks Batts

G_ute

I have a tall narrow fridge and it is a pain to lift everything out

That a good point, especially for my short wife.
I just had a look at the Oztrail 45L and its nice and low/wide. Looks like a good deal for $479 (from $799) until Monday.
I would expect the LG compressor will do the job as I have some LG appliances which work well.

cam04

That would be about right if they are using the turbo button as the yardstick. I have both the danfoss and the secop compressors and the secop is the more efficient while they are running. Conversely if the ridge rider uses 3.75a on economy mode I’d be scared to think what it might draw on turbo.

Batts88

That would be about right if they are using the turbo button as the yardstick. I have both the danfoss and the secop compressors and the secop is the more efficient while they are running. Conversely if the ridge rider uses 3.75a on economy mode I’d be scared to think what it might draw on turbo.
Your probably right about turbo mode thanks.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Even my neighbors 45ltr Techni ice draws around 1.4amps

I can back that up, mine was (is still) brilliant, have the same (older plastic case) model, been great for at least 8 years now.
With dinner / beer trips through the afternoon / night at camps, the 105 a/h AGM would go down to 83% SOC overnight (also using very low draw LED lighting), the fridge never let me down . . . just a lead once, same as Waeco lead.

I looked at the tecniice site last night to recommend to the OP, even though for a while now they went to metal cases, alas they have a tiny 14lt or so and an upright 12v travel fridge now, that's it.
They used to make a dozen sizes from 11 or 12lt through to mega sizes.

Don't know why they seem to have failed with fridge range / sales, they were VERY competitive, and always other owners really raved about them.
Techniice make great ice boxes, though the frisges seemed to be some sort of mass produced item, probably china.

SirDrinksalott

I have a Waeco CoolFun, not really a fridge, more of a cooler than runs on mains, gas or 12v.
It wont cool my beer enough though and I drink lots of beer so trying to get 10+ 500ml cans cold doesnt give them enough time to rotate though with food in there as well so I have an ice esky for beer.

Ive not used it for a few years as I have shortened the trips plus I dont have a dual battery so it was only ever useful when we camped as a family for a week with it on gas in the 'vestibule' of the tent (big tent, well ventilated, no risk).

This is the badger: http://www.fridgeandpower.com.au/fridges/portable-fridges/3-way-fridges/waeco-3-way-fridge-ca-35/

Anyway, without a dual battery it says consumption is

Consumption

72 watts on 240 volts, 72 watts on 12 volts
12g/hour on LPG

what does that mean to me on one battery, get a dual battery??

cam04

I have a Waeco CoolFun, not really a fridge, more of a cooler than runs on mains, gas or 12v.
It wont cool my beer enough though and I drink lots of beer so trying to get 10+ 500ml cans cold doesnt give them enough time to rotate though with food in there as well so I have an ice esky for beer.

Ive not used it for a few years as I have shortened the trips plus I dont have a dual battery so it was only ever useful when we camped as a family for a week with it on gas in the 'vestibule' of the tent (big tent, well ventilated, no risk).

This is the badger: http://www.fridgeandpower.com.au/fridges/portable-fridges/3-way-fridges/waeco-3-way-fridge-ca-35/

Consumption

12g/hour on LPG

It means like all 3 ways, run them on gas or 240 as much as possible, and if you absolutely must run it on 12v, upgrade the plug to something proper (andersen) and use it mainly while the engine is running. 72/12 = 6a continuous draw which is unsustainable without decent recharging facilities.

Warby

Consumption

12g/hour on LPG

Means its a power hungry beast haha. 72W on 12V = 6A (W/V=A). You'll chew through pretty much any battery setup pretty quickly

Batts88

Consumption

12g/hour on LPG

I had a 3 -way fridge in the 90's woudn't let it sit for much longer than an hour running off a battery if stopping to get fuel or duck into the shops. If longer I would put gas on.

Colly18

The Aldi fridge is 48L and runs a SECOP compressor. Includes a cover for $599

Any reason to pay $100 more for a model with a Danfoss?

Bru9, that was a great price for the Engel, $580. I am seeing $899 ar SuperCheapAuto. Can you tell me where you got it?

BCF have later model/technology(?) CFF45 out for $699 to members at present