Camping Fridge

Dunks

Hi All,

I'm looking at a camping fridge to purchase and i'm on a slight budget.

Is there any reviews on the Dometic CFF45?

Also, recommendations on either the Engel Eclipse or the Dometic CFF45.

Engel - $799 currently
Dometic $599 currently

Any help would be appreciated.

McGinnis

I've had an Eclipse (Engel MR40F) for close to 10 years now. It's been excellent, no complaints at all. The compressor is the same as in the metal body Engel's; the only real difference is the body, and the plastic of the Eclipse has held up perfectly. It is noisy though, which isn't an issue for me as I'm not sleeping anywhere near it (probably only an issue in a camper).

I also have a Waeco CF80 in my work vehicle, and it's been great as well.

Much as some people like to turn this into a Ford/Holden type debate, it's pretty hard to go wrong with any modern big-name fridge (so Engel, Dometic, or National Luna).

RIGPIG

I've had the CFF 45 for about 1 year so far (first fridge). I've got nothing to compare it to but I think it's a great fridge for the price. It has 3 stage low voltage cut off. It fits plenty off food for myself and my missus, we've been away on several 6 night trips and it holds everything we need with out having to re stock, plenty deep enough to store a wine bottle up right! It's very quiet. The way the lid is hinged is also perfect for my needs. All in all for the $600 I paid from BCF I reckon its a great first fridge.

Batts88

A friend has had the Eclipse since they first came out no problems I think it's left running most of the time.

CaptainBanana

I've had an Eclipse (Engel MR40F) for close to 10 years now. It's been excellent, no complaints at all. The compressor is the same as in the metal body Engel's; the only real difference is the body, and the plastic of the Eclipse has held up perfectly. It is noisy though, which isn't an issue for me as I'm not sleeping anywhere near it (probably only an issue in a camper).

I also have a Waeco CF80 in my work vehicle, and it's been great as well.

Much as some people like to turn this into a Ford/Holden type debate, it's pretty hard to go wrong with any modern big-name fridge (so Engel, Dometic, or National Luna).

I've had this a model for 3 years now and it ran for 18 months straight as a freezer while I travelled the North in my caravan without fault.

I did read a few people saying it was noisy and I mean you do hear it cycle on but mine literally lives next to my bed in the caravan as it's only place I can put it and does not wake me up or keep me up but some people might be more sensitive I guess.

I've actually been thinking about selling it just to go bigger but I'm not sure if they worth anything used.

Bronto

Hi All,
I'm looking at a camping fridge to purchase and i'm on a slight budget.
Is there any reviews on the Dometic CFF45?
I love giving out free advice and I am sure many here are feel the same. What is slightly annoying and occurs on other forums not just 4x4Earth. is that OP's don't return and tell th thread posters what they ended up doing. Same here. Such a pity people forget who helped them make that final decision. I like journeys end to be told.

Lost1?

I have a DFZ Dometic. Pretty happy with how it has worked so far. I do set my fridge side on 5C and I recommend you get a cover to insulate the fridge from external heat. When sleeping next my ute I can hear the fridge cycle at night. It doesn't keep me awake. But you do hear it on occasion. Any fridge is going to make noise when the fan and compressor are running. You will just need to store it somewhere it won't keep you awake, or if your like me it won't matter.

Bronto

I have a DFZ Dometic. Pretty happy with how it has worked so far.
I can't find that model Captain. Do you mean either the Dometic 75DZW or 90DZW.
I have the 75DZW which came with a cover and yep, I recommend the fridge has a cover too.
As for loud fridges. If it is a real and present issue with anybody, the fan can be swapped out for the same size but a quieter brand. If money isn't an issue get online and buy a Noctua the same size as your existing fan. They all have the same (4) mounting holes in the same position so easy to mount. Take a picture of how the original connects into the control panel and then follow that for the new fan. You only need to use two of the 3 wires and the paperwork that comes with it will tell which two are for power. The other wire can be taped up. It's dead easy but if your fridge is still under warranty, this kills the warranty. Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Noctua-...406137&hash=item4446d74399:g:xogAAOSwEbBd4K~M

Batts88

I can't find that model Captain. Do you mean either the Dometic 75DZW or 90DZW.
I have the 75DZW which came with a cover and yep, I recommend the fridge has a cover too.
As for loud fridges. If it is a real and present issue with anybody, the fan can be swapped out for the same size but a quieter brand. If money isn't an issue get online and buy a Noctua the same size as your existing fan. They all have the same (4) mounting holes in the same position so easy to mount. Take a picture of how the original connects into the control panel and then follow that for the new fan. You only need to use two of the 3 wires and the paperwork that comes with it will tell which two are for power. The other wire can be taped up. It's dead easy but if your fridge is still under warranty, this kills the warranty. Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Noctua-...406137&hash=item4446d74399:g:xogAAOSwEbBd4K~M
The fan in my old Evakool is pretty noisy I'm going to get one of those Noctua 92mm fans thanks for the info Bronto.

Bronto

I'm going to get one of those Noctua 92mm fans
Happy to advise. In fact I read about this mod elsewhere, I've never done it myself.
Gosh I would love for you to come back to this thread and tell us what improvement it made.
Easy job for a steady hand. Good luck!

Batts88

Happy to advise. In fact I read about this mod elsewhere, I've never done it myself.
Gosh I would love for you to come back to this thread and tell us what improvement it made.
Easy job for a steady hand. Good luck!
No worries I checked the db today with an app on my daughters phone. Used what I thought was a reasonable control the house a/c compressor outside just to check the app is accurate. Label on unit claims 69db phone app read 71db happy with that. Evakool fridge fan is 60db pretty noisy for a camping fridge so will let you know when the Noctua 92mm 1,600rpm fan arrives and I install it.

Albynsw

Engel MR40F https://g.co/kgs/GQq95n

This is what I have, not noisey for me even next to the bed and my misses never mentioned it either. People online had mentioned it so I can only presume their fridges are magic.

I have found them to be noisier than the Waeco , my mate had one and you could hear it above my Bushmans and Waeco when sitting around the campfire
Not a dealbreaker but wouldn’t by one if it was next to my bed

boobook

It's not just acoustic noise with Engels.

Not a biggy for some, but Engels are electrically noisier than Danoss based fridges too. They can be annoying if you have a HF, listen to AM radio while camping - for fire advice etc, or if you are into Ham radio.