Change background image

Camping at Merringtons camp ground

Discussion in 'Camping Areas' started by Shehan Wilfred, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Shehan Wilfred

Shehan Wilfred New Member

Hi all,
    Newly registered but has been reading posts for along time. So I was browsing through the camping section and came across the Merrington's campground near the Thomson dam i believe and it captured my interest. I actually did a bit of digging and found out the coordinates of the camping site and also some of the challenges I could expect on the way such as river crossings, ruts, etc. My 4wd is a stock land cruiser Prado 2004 with a factory fitted center diff. I do have a manual hand winch and a full recovery gear set. So my question is will I be able to make this trip during the winter months or is it better to wait since I do not have all the fancy mods nor an electric winch? Also could someone give me advice on some rooftop maps which might aid me.

Thank you for your time folks ;)

2. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Track conditions vary,

Some of that area is tuff going in winter, best look up your specific track route then try and find some recent reports

your hand winch is more versatile than a electric one, may be worth getting out to give it a test run.

Always better to travel with another vehicle
    If the weathers bad best give it a miss

Shehan Wilfred likes this.
  3. Shehan Wilfred

Thanks for the response mate. Yea am actually looking at some of the tracks leading to the campsite, will find something easy hopefully. I did actually use the hand-winch once or twice and it was alrite, need a bit of effort compared to an electric.

4. Traveller

Traveller 4x4 Earth Contributer

Grab a Rooftop Whalhala area map, best one for that area. Merringtons is virtually a 2wd track to get into if coming off Aberfeldy road, can be busy with motorbikes too. You need to be aware of oncoming traffic, fast drivers on the main road and tighter conditions on bushtracks -some of the edges of the tracks can be soft, resulting in slides over the edge.
    It does sound like you need to go out with some others to teach you though- I would highly recommend a 4wd course or going on a trip organised here that is suitable for beginners. There are some tracks in that area that could be dangerous for the inexperienced. Various members head out to O'Tooles regularly, keep an eye on trips or post a thread wanting to go there in the Trips section and see how you go.

phs and Bomber2012 like this.
  5. Outrage

Outrage 4x4 Earth Contributer

As Traveller mentioned, getting to Merringtons itself via the main tracks doesn't really need 4wd, although it doesn't hurt if it is wet.

Pheasant's Tk, Trig Tk and Toomstar Tk are nearby and are seasonally closed. Dream Ck although not seasonally closed has a very steep section to it, I'd avoid until the summer months myself. A lot of tracks in the area are steep and can be slippery in wet conditions.

Traveller, Bomber2012 and phs like this.
  6. Shehan Wilfred

Thank you for replies, I actually forgot to reply back. I ditched the idea of going to Merringtons mostly because I felt the tracks were out of my league and so I headed towards Wallhalla region and camped at Bruntons. The river crossings were somewhat ok, occasionally dipped in some parts, but managed without a snorkel. As suggested by some members I will be definitely taking 4wd classes this month and may be do some tag-alongs. Cheers guys and thanks again for the replies.